Remember the twitter Robin Hood airport thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Slindsay, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

While I agree that one should be able to make unwise jokes without the CIA trying to pull your goolies off in a soundproofed room, there is such a thing as being an ****. Making jokes about terrorism in such a tense environment counts as being an **** in my book. It's the same as walking into a tube station and yelling 'bomb' just for the lulz.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I agree that this was overzealous, but then again with most of the tripe on twitter I've wished that similar treatment were applied for other inane or stupid comments - might cut down the bandwidth wastage.

4. It has happened before many times in history that a regime tilts and its population has its head so deep in rectal explorations that they can't see it!

The awakening will be rude and too late. :(

Osu!

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It is pretty bad when using innocent colloquial language can get you locked up and refused entry.

It's a good job California's economy doesn't rely on tourism...oh wait...

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd have refused him entry based on his hair and rolled up denim sleeves alone.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Did you read the story? No jokes about terrorism. Whole thing reminds me of a Spitting Image sketch where the ROI team arrives at the airport for USA 94 and tell the press "We're just here for the craic." and are promptly pounced on by DEA agents yelling "Where's the crack?" :rolleyes:

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

No, I didn't read it. I don't read the daily heil in case it contaminates me.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ahahahhaha... LAX.. of course it is. Why does this not even remotely surprise me. I've been through an episode there on a level that just makes this one look like a joke. I didn't even have the hipster haircut to go with it. Sunshine there with his pout wouldn't last two seconds in lock down. I love how it's so exotic for the Brits... 'Ooooh Mexican Drug dealers'... I reckon they got the better part of the bargain here.... this story will beat any hackneyed retelling back home to their mates how HUGE their nights were in LA. Hahahahahahahahaha! Denied!:p

On the other hand... the TSA and the lot that deals with this are often the biggest bunch of muppets on the planet. Have a chip on your shoulder? Need a job? Completely socially retarded and poor people skills? Join the TSA! It's the job for you!

Strangely enough this won't effect tourism in LA one single bit. It's probably the single most exciting thing this dim lot has ever done.

Attached Files:

10. holyheadjch

This one incident wont hurt tourism, but this kind of overzealous response will start to erode the trust that is needed when you go somewhere.

I don't want to have to worry about being detained and roughed up by Mexican drug smugglers just because Homeland Security aren't capable of reading my online leavings within the social context that they were written.

If the US starts to become synonymous with this type of idiocy, then it will sit at the back of people's minds and when they plan their next trip, they'll think Sydney instead of LA, Barcelona instead of New York and Cancun instead of Florida.

11. I think the damage is done! :(
    It is not visible or measurable yet because of lag, but it is there and there is nothing that can repair it outside of letting the process run its course.

Osu!

12. slipthejab

Not so sure that's actually a trend yet. Though I wouldn't put anything past Homeland Security. While I see the merit in the job they do... it's a classic gaffe by and over zealous and under informed (is that a word?) branch of the government. I think part of the reason it's newsworthy is because it's actually a rare occurrence when you consider the number of flights into Los Angeles in a given year.

13. That's code for "ignorant, uneducated fanatics" :love:

Osu!

14. slipthejab

ahhahahha... yeah that is true.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Overzealous? Maybe. Stupid on the part of the pouty nimrod? Definitely.

16. holyheadjch

I don't see how it is stupid. In context it is mild. You'd have to be uber paranoid to think that tweeting that phrase would lead to you being detained as a suspected terrorist. Sifu Ben is right - it actually reads like a comedy sketch.

17. slipthejab

It always makes me wonder how the filtering process goes on at Homeland security. I'd have to wonder if they actually did fully understand the context and yet made the detainment anyhow to set an example or make a point.

I don't think they'd ever make that process open as public info... so it could be there was no process or consideration of context... or they chose this to set an example that jokes of this nature for those arriving on American soil won't be tolerated... or... it could be a mix of everything.

In this day and age you'd have to be daft to Tweet or post on FB anything about destroying America. Just not too smart. Though... hipster boy does have the British use of the word destroy on his side. :p

For the conspiracy theorists here at MAP - this could be the Kennedy family working behind the scenes to make sure that evidence that could be used to posthumously accuse JFK of any link to Marilyn's murder remains hidden. :D

I fully expect to be arrested by Homeland security momentarily as I've destroyed this thread and mentioned way too many words that their filter will pick up. :D

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It amazes me when the Law replaces common sense.

19. slipthejab

A bit more one the whole thing:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  20. holyheadjch

lol, I had to look it up too. I was about to blame autocorrect.