Religious experience.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kframe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I agree, witchcraft is a blight on the nation and needs to be eliminated.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Molon Labe

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Of course on the specifics there are exceptions, but there are very few societal behaviors that have this kind of knock on - human sacrifice being an obvious excpetion :)

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I belive the seperation of church and state should cover this in the majority of cases.

5. Dead_pool

https://afterschoolsatan.com/

which is why the satanic temples good work should be supported!

"it’s important that children be given an opportunity to realize that the evangelical materials now creeping into their schools are representative of but one religious opinion amongst many. While the*Good News Clubsfocus on indoctrination, instilling them with a fear of Hell and God’s wrath,*After School Satan Clubs*will focus on free inquiry and rationalism, the scientific basis for which we know what we know about the world around us. We prefer to give children an appreciation of the natural wonders surrounding them, not a fear of everlasting other-worldly horrors.”

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Satanism beats the Flying Spaghetti Monster by miles as a satirical religious device.

7. David Harrison

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLVUHknb-Is"]Frank Zappa - The Church & Taxes - YouTube[/ame]

8. David Harrison

Unfortunately there have been too many cases of Christian churches, as well as newer religions such as Scientology, taking advantage of tax laws without demonstrating any charitable benefit to society.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've never belonged to a church that's received money from the government. How does that work?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  10. David Harrison

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I don't understand Satanism. They call themselves Satanists, yet they don't worship Satan? Its almost like a church of science. I was on Mystic Wicks and their forum, pretty much spells out that they don't worship Satan, but its about the human animal.

So what is the 4/11 on this?

12. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I agree with this. Part of my problem with the church is it is so worried about loosing its tax exempt status, that they only preach luke warm sermons that have little to no bearing on the current events of the world. Then it becomes a recurring sermon about proving ones faith by giving money..

If their message is good, and worth listening to, their church will succeed weather or not they have tax exempt status. They should be able to thrive amidst the tax, if they and their message are worthy. Didn't someone say to give to Caesar, what is Caesar's, but give to God what is God's?

13. David Harrison

It's essentially an anti-Christian philosophy. Not in the sense that they are campaigning against Christianity, but rather they are campaigning against the Christian morals that they believe are harmful to people. It is essentially about self-reliant ethics as opposed to morality handed down from God.

Anton Szandor LaVey founded the Church of Satan in the 60's, and gave 11 guiding principles:

"Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

Do not harm little children.

Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."

- http://www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php

Recently, it has become more of a political movement to reinforce separation of church and state. They use American ideals of freedom of religion to highlight the bias toward Christianity in US state and federal policy.

I've never met a Satanist who actually believes in a literal Satan. It is more about the biblical myths of the "light bringer", Lucifer, as an allegory of personal enlightenment.

Interestingly, and kind of ironically, it was Christians who invented Satanism. The infamous Malleus Maleficarum was basically made up by perverted monks (don't let people have sex and they turn into perverts... who'd a thunk? :D ). Likewise the Satanic ritual abuse moral panic of the 80's was also invented by Christians. Many people have died, and families been needlessly torn apart by such allegations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

HOLY Heck. What is kinda funny is, I can actually get behind a great many of those 11 principals. LOL at the destroy your enemy stuff.

I can see their point though, as a insider, on the outside looking in, that their is a lot of bias towards Christianity.

I had never heard of the Malleus Maleficarum. I will read up on that, as that is something I was never taught.

I think though, that Christianity cant only be singled out here. ALL Religions must be subject to the separation. Right now, it feels, and it is only my feeling, that the media and the Left in the US are favoring with victim status the Islamic religion. Especially with the whole 9/11 mosque. I wonder what the progressive left will say, and whose side they take when inevitably a Muslim baker, or other business refuses service to a LGBT couple. Will they torment them and sue them into oblivion like they did the Christian Businesses?

That is beside the point. I still feel, that all religions should be fully separated from the state, and all tax benefits removed. Then let the Economic Darwin take its course and survival of the fittest religion/denomination determine which churches survive and thrive.

15. David Harrison

You must have heard about burning witches (even though most of them were hanged)? Ever seen Witch Finder General?

I agree that, whatever the policy, it should apply equally to all religions.

People are scared of talking about Islam because they carry through on their threats. That doesn't mean that Christians don't threaten people with death quite a bit though.

Here is a good documentary from a British perspective:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9EUe8jNr6o"]Don't Get Me Started - Stewart Lee - What's So Wrong About Blasphemy? - YouTube[/ame]

16. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Oh I agree, that there are a number of Christians making stupid threats. Does not make it any better or worse. Does not change the reality that ALL should be separated, and let those that sink sink, and those that swim, thrive.

17. Dead_pool

18. David Harrison

Though I wouldn't describe the Church of Satan as a theist organisation.

I like that he mentions Milton in the interview, as I think Milton has shaped our idea of Lucifer more than the Bible, just as Dante shaped our idea of hell more than the Bible did.

19. Dead_pool

indeed, I think the phrase archetype sums it up very well.

20. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

What are you talking about? What the heck do Islam and Ninjutsu have in common again??