Registration fees WEKAF World tournament 2006

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by tvb, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tvb

tvb New Member

Hello,

We, the Dutch team, just got information about the registration fees for entering the tournament.
    Although not really unexpected we were still a bit stunned. The registration fees for the tournament are for the 1st event $325 when registered before may 15th and $425 after, 2nd event $25 extra and $10 for every additional event.

Knowing that there are a lot of costs and risks involved when organizing a tournament this size and that the average price level for martial arts events are higher in the US than in Europe, we are still wondering if a tournament like this has to be that expensive.
    And guessing that more people at this forum will be attending this tournament we were also wondering how you guys handle expenses like this? By way of sponsors deals, a lot of overtime? Otherwise?

Unfortunately for us we will have to skip this one as these cost on top of travel and sleeping are just to high.

Would like to hear your thoughts, views, ideas.

With kind regards,
    Thierry

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

HOw much:eek: are you sure it is not a mis-print, if not you can count my guys out. Where did you get the info from???

Best regards

Pat

3. Pat OMalley

I have just checked out the WEKAF USA site, it looks as though these fees are for the USA team and include all functions and meals, but again it is still a lot of money, and if this is anything to go by I think my guys will just play at the Doce Pares world championships in April in England.

Best regards

Pat

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well thats pretty high. But the organizers I've been talking to charge that much because they can get it....

5. tvb

tvb New Member

Hello Pat,

I didn't check to see if these fees are also for the international participants. But my guess is that the fees will be the same if not higher. I will give it an email to the organisation.

regards,
    Thierry

6. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

HOW RUDEEE!!!!!!

I have a few Ideas - Competitions such as this should be run on a non profit making basis!! after all no prizes of money are given out?? so how can outrageous fees be justified??

How Much do medals actually cost anyway?? I have an idea!! If each competitor just pays say £5 to enter then buys the medals they win at the end of the contest!! SURE WOULD BE CHEAPER!!

What do you actually get for this extortionate fee?? (whole suit of armour with pair of sticks kris sword training dagger and bag to take it all home with??)

If the organisers had known that it would actually cost this much then why hold an event in dolphin world?? Why not chose somewhere more affordable?? after all its a martial arts world championships not the olympics!

I am pretty sure that the filipino office workers wage of a whole year at 50 peso per hour would not accomodate such high entrance fees would it?? or is that the whole point?? or if not and the filipino team pay less then surely so should europe!! Prices should be based on the minimum working wage of each country in order to make it fair for everyone!!

Making money is one thing but to do it in a way that is prejudicial against those whodon't have a great income is disgusting!!

7. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

you could always sell a kidney :D

But seriously it is too high...unless the organiser's can provide ample reasons to justify the cost.. I doubt very much that it will have a good turnout...

this is the big problem..fees are often too high that the really skilled but underpriviledged in Philippines cannot afford to attend so the ones that win the comps are not winning on skill but merely by default ...and it becomes a contest won by people with money rather than skill.
    :bang:

8. rebecca kane

Capitalist martial arts society!!

9. rebecca kane

10. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  11. rebecca kane

he he he he he !!!!!

12. Pat OMalley

I have checked over here with someone in the know, and you are right, those are the fees for everyone.

As former Vice President of WEKAF I think it is disgusting, after all this is an amateur sport, it is not the Super Bowl or Wimbledon, it is an Amateur sport for people who participate in their spare time, spending their hard earned cash to take part in these events.

As much as we all want it to be a major sport, it has not surpassed hobby level yet for 90% of the participants.

If this it what it has come to then all I can say is thank god I am not taking part. Bearing in mind here in the UK someone has to also spend in the region of $700 (£500) just on attending the squad training, then there is the air fare, accomadation, spending money, loss of earning during your stay and all you get is a $50 trophie at the end of it if you win or a $10 medal if you get placed, or a peice of paper if you are any lower than the first 3 places.

The fact that everyone has to pay so much to enter, it's a bummer if you loose. I could understand it if the winner got $1000, the 1st Runner up got $700 and the 2nd Runner up got their entry fee back, along with their medals at least this would be some insentive to part with the cash.

I undertand you have to pay for entering a major event of this nature and the monetry value of the trophie does not really matter as it is the title that counts, but at that price, I personally would need a lot more insentive to spend all that cash for what is after all an amateur event, so who in the end is getting the GOLD medal here.

I am actually embarrased abouth this as I was once the World Vice President, Tournament Director and 3 Times World Champion. I feel really terrible that I have trained and encouraged some of my younger members to compete to get on the team and several of them are so close, this has got their hopes up only to be dashed because one person who is organising the event sees it (as I see it) as a way to make a quick buck.

Bearing in mind, up until now the usual fee has been between $35 and $50 dollars to enter, and maybe $5 or $10 dollars for the meal at the congress and another is usually free courtosy of the organisers. Why now at the last minute has all this changed. Sorry to rant on but I feel as a long standing member of both WEKAF and formely a member of it's executive board that this is disgusting.

All I can say is I hope the organisers in the USA are taking all the players for a meal in the Ritz Hotel for Cavier and Champagne.

Best regards

Pat

13. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

just wait for the next one in Phil...this should be cheaper and with the money you'd save... you could use it for airforce one....

the girls must miss my karaoke in Lexus though... so with the change I'd have to visit them too ;)

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I wondered if you had ever been involved Pat. You should start a rival org that holds tournaments at reasonable fees yet has a high level of quality to it. I'm sure you'd get a good showing! I'm not real familiar with the stick fighting but I'm sure you'd get a good return on your investment.

15. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

hello to all! it's been a while since i posted, so here goes nothing.

personally, i think that those rates are just WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!! i mean c'mon! international competitors coming from the thirld world are not gonna be able to afford to join. people should sign a petition or something.

-nico-

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

now that is steep! at Php51: US$1 that works out to

US$350 = Php17,850
    US$450 = Php22,950
    US$ 25 = Php 1,275

i guess there won't be many from the philippines that would join this.

17. Pat OMalley

I doubt if there will be many other country's either, looks like the US organisers are trying to kill it off.

Or is it like their American Football, Basket Ball and Baseball another case of having a World Series but making sure only the USA teams take part?

Sorry to our friends from accross the pond, but you guys do tend to have World Championships and not invite anyone else;)

Best regards

Pat

18. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

because every country has varying average wage levels the fair way of knowing how much to fairly charge everyone should be in relation to Mac Donald's meal prices.

It may sound funnny but there is one in every country so participants from each country should be charged relative to buying 4 big mac meals in their home country....

...that way everyone will get charged the same proportion for entry in relation to their home country's average wage...

Proof of ID and address would be required to prove an arnisador's true origin...
    In addition why can't the organiser's get sponsors to cover the costs to subsidise entry fees. Some of the excess money could be used to sponsor the Philippine team's cost.

19. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

That was really a big problem my sister.... :woo: :bang: :woo:

as my Police Team are planning to be come a part of it......oh my GOD! hoping that something like a miracle could happen.....

Guro REY :woo: :Angel: :bang: :bang: :bang:

20. tvb

tvb New Member

I can’t imagine them asking the same fees for competitors from the Philippines. If they do then they are really making themselves unbelievable.

Regards,
    Thierry