Regarding Sai.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by NotaMA, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

How about a sling stone?

-Mark

2. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Didn't know about the urumi...

from wikipedia: "In kalaripayat, the urumi is always the last weapon taught because of the danger it poses to the wielder."

3. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Thanks for the compliment.

and Nah, I don't hold it against anyone. In fact the criticism and slight nitpicking is pretty insightful. Makes me realize just how inexperienced I am. Lol.

I will admit most of the Nunchaku methods I've typed down are unrealistic and likely difficult, and I know they're not the most effective and painful weapon as you've all said.

I have heard of people knocking themselves/in-the-way friends out cold with Chucks before. and on Deadliest Warrior they cracked and broke one of those ballistic dummy skulls, but anyways....

The Nunchaku not being as powerful as the other weapons is not all bad. Take for example the police batons that are specifically designed not to kill. I guess the Nunchucks are a bit like that depending on the weight of the shafts and the force in which they're swung.

Also, I have a pair of Bruce Lee style Chucks with 10" shafts and a 7 to 8 inch chain, and they're under 1" diameter. I usually conceal them when I go more than 30 miles out into public, and nobody has ever noticed.

Overall I consider the Nunchucks to be more of a for-fun thing and coordination workout and a cool thing to do tricks with rather than an actual weapon, though it is possible if the situation arises. The only thing is you have to make sure they don't bounce back to you, this is why I follow Musashi's advice in the BOFR and let the weapon stop on its own and bring it back in rather than jerking it back to me after it's stricken its target.

BTW, Just saying this for the record, I'm not much of a 3-section-staff kinda guy.... I hurt myself with that thing more than a 10-year-old with steel chucks. Lol.

4. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

That's the spirit, NotaMA.

5. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Did I say something right for once? :confused:

If so, what was it?

6. blindside

blindside Valued Member

You should probably look into your state statutes on concealed weapons, most states frown on that sort of thing.

7. StripedPickles

StripedPickles Valued Member

Appreciate you clearing that up, have been following this thread and was just thinking to myself, 'hey... I wonder if he's a 3-section staff kinda guy' :hat:

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why do you carry?

Would it be because you feel you might have to use them?

What will happen when you use them, do you think there may be an ever so tiny chance they will get noticed?

9. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

The beginning of your previous post.

I'm also a newbie, 9 months training.

10. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Assuming "NC" means "North Carolina...."

http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-269.html

Now it doesn't specifically say "nunchaku" on that list, but I'm betting that if you did wind up whacking someone upside the head, and you were carrying it concealed, you are going to have a problem.

11. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Haha, I don't even know how one would go about using it in a practical manner.

I carry them because I have very little experience in empty-handed combat, and if ever neccesary I would use them, and that I love the feeling of carrying a concealed weapon. Lol.

And also, I doubt I'd be attacked in broad daylight where there are witnesses, so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, I could attempt to justify it with self defense and ignorance of the law.

Thank you, Zabrus. :3

1) Doesn't specifically say Nunchaku

2) According to you all, the Nunchaku are not neccesarily a weapon that could be deadly unless you had the intention of killing, even then it would not be easy.

3) "A'int nothin' illegal 'till ya get caught."

I don't know what the punishment would be, but it can't be that bad. Confiscation of the weapon, a whack with a ruler to the back of the hand, a little fine, and you're fine. No pun intended for that last bit.

Besides, the second ammendment says we have the right to bear arms, and we have god-given, inalienable rights to the pursuit of happiness.

1) Nunchucks are a means of self defense (Second ammendment)

2) Nunchucks make me happy. :3 (God-Given, inalienable right)

Besides, I'm a minor so they can't logically and realistically try me as an adult just for 1 charge of concealed weaponry.

Know what I mean?

12. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Carry a pocket knife. They are legal, and way more dangerous than nunchaku.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Man, I wrote this long reply, and then I thought about myself at 16 and just... Well, shine on you crazy diamond. Shine on.

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Ah! This explains pretty much all of your other posts... No offence intended, I remember being a youth too.

Just try not to get yourself into a situation where you "need" to whip out your nun chucks (or whatever concealed weapon you decide to carry), and someone takes them off you and really does you some damage.

Go train somewhere, learn empty hand as well as weaponry (offensive and defensive) and work on your situational awareness for SD.

All the best

15. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Smith and Wesson Extreme-ops Tanto point folder, erryday.

Haha, I sure will. Thanks Phil (Mind if I call you Phil?)

TBH I wouldn't even fight unless absolutely neccesary. Even then I'd try to take care of it empty handed.

and I will begin my training in Karate as soon as the christmas season is over.

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I have the exact same knife! It's great, although I just carry it as a tool. I find the tanto point helpful for cutting things like plastic wrap. Plus it's balanced for throwing (I haven't thrown a knife in ages though)

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Cannot describe how much I loved this post!

18. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Never tried throwing it. But I do consider it more of a tool, though if I ever got into a self defense situation and I didn't have my Nunchucks I'd use the knife as an "Empty-hand enhancer" if you get what I mean.

Razor sharp Surgical steel Tanto point half-serrated blade>Bare knuckes when it comes to defending your very life.

^ This.

19. Dean Winchester

So you pick Nunchaku? Of all the choices in the world you go with that?

I hope you are just trolling for a reaction with that.

Yes because all attacks happen after midnight in dark back alleys where nobody goes, after all that's why we have Batman.

Seriously take a good look at your thoughts on this.

You realise that by claiming self defence you are basically admitting to assaulting, injuring the other person?

Once you do that you need to show you had good cause to do so. Given the attitudes displayed in your posts and some of you comments do you trust your knowledge and ability enough to do this?

Do you understand you local laws well enough to be able to articulate not only why you went that far but also why you had a weapon on you in the first place?

Claiming ignorance is not an excuse, especially when you have increased the level of force by brining a weapon to bear.

So what happens to your self defence claim when it is shown that you have been carrying a weapon but were not responsible enough to check local laws on the such things?

What impression do you think you will give the authorities and how do you think that will impact on your claim of self defence?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  20. Dean Winchester

Well that makes it all better doesn't it?

I'm sure when you get hauled in for being a pillock then having been involved with the Police over weapons usage won't have any possibility of impacting on your future.

You want to be awesome cool and carry something? Fine but please don't try and justify it for any other reason that your own ego.

If you are serious about self defence then take it seriously and stop looking for excuses to live out your Bruce Lee fantasies.

As young as you may be you are old enough to take in what has been said about all of this. If you think you are mature enough to carry and use a weapon against another person, and deal with all the potential fall out from something like that, then you are dam well old enough to listen and be sensible about the whole thing.

You can't have it both ways, not if you want to continue to have a fruitful and healthy future.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012