Red Light, Yellow Light, Green Light Go !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Martial Arts Articles' started by Darren Laur, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Darren Laur

Darren Laur New Member

Red Light, Yellow Light, Green Light Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On another forum that I contribute to, a poster by the name Todd_xxxx wrote the following post:

“You might think it would be diplomacy, de-escalation, etc, but truthfully, the best thing bouncing gives you is the willingness to engage. At first, I was hesitant, held back, had all the left-overs from TMA and the stuff you learn from childhood ("it isn't nice to hit"). If you are going to be a bouncer and not have your a** handed to you repeatedly, you learn to engage quickly and without hesitation. It reminds me of the part of "Fight Club" where the homework assignment was to pick a fight with a person off the street. The movie went on to tell that it isn't as easy as you think, and that most people will do almost anything to avoid a fight. I think that is generally true, and many people, if not most, that haven't trained very realistically (I think you Senshido guys probably developed the same thing through scenario training) will hesitate, even though in their guts they know there is no way out but to fight. Willingness to engage quickly and without hesitation is the best thing I can pass on from bouncing. As soon as you know there is no way out, hit, hit hard, and hit alot. There can be no hesitation. You'll hear that from many sources, but until you ingrain it, its just an intangible concept and does no good.”

This poster, IMO, hit the nail square on the head when it comes to this extremely important combative attribute.

Last week, while conducting some “Street Combatives” training at a local Kick Boxing school (as a guest instructor), I observed hesitation to engage, and lack of commitment to attack, time and time again during the scenario based training segment where we utilized combative suits. Not only did 99% of the participants hesitate before engagement, but most except for one participant, did not explode out of the blocks when there was a clear and present danger confronting them. It was also very interesting to note that when they did engage the threat, most did not do so with a committed compound attack. As we conducted this scenario based training at this school, all participants were allowed to watch each other’s performance, and we debriefed each scenario as a group, where the above noted observations were shared with all. What was interesting; even though we debriefed each scenario at it’s conclusion where we “spoke” about the hesitation and commitment to attack issue, all but one participant (who had been in a number of street confrontations) continued to hesitate and would not engage with a committed attack once the scenario based training went physical. Another interesting observation was that many in this group had lots of competition training under their belts, but lacked any real world street application experience.

It should be noted that I have seen this time and time again not only when conducting guest training at martial art schools, but also with beginner students who “initially” begin their training here at my school. I also see this in LEO training time and time again as well.

IMO, one of the ways to overcome hesitation and lack of commitment to attack is through:

1) Actual real world experience (jobs that place you in physical harms way such as bouncing, Law enforcement, ect) or;

2) Ongoing scenario based replication training

Most reading this post are likely going to be limited by the first recommendation, but the second; ongoing scenario based replication training, can be achieved by all. Through ongoing scenario based replication training, one can compound the needed combative attributes that have been mentioned above. IMO, properly conducted scenario based replication training will create a mental blueprint at the subconscious level that will only solidify the need to explode out of the blocks and to commit to a compound attack when faced with an aggressor.

As todd_xxx stated:

“ Willingness to engage quickly and without hesitation is the best thing I can pass on from bouncing. As soon as you know there is no way out, hit, hit hard, and hit alot. There can be no hesitation. You'll hear that from many sources, but until you ingrain it, its just an intangible concept and does no good.”

For those who do not put themselves in harm way as a part of their employment, scenario based replication training is the next best thing. Remember, train how you fight, fight how you train !!!!!!!!!

Thanks todd_xxxx for this very important topic

Strength and Honor

Darren Laur

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Nice one, Darren!

3. Blue Bloater

Blue Bloater New Member

Damn Sir hit a lot (Darren).:D

My buddy was a bouncer in San Diego he had that tude too. He also has had a couple of concussions and a broken jaw. A nephew of mine a very large guy also was a bouncer in phoenix and didn’t have that attitude and was rarely in a fight. He diffused situations in other ways.

Oh by the way I’m blue bloater I’m new to this forum but not new to MA and other than the bouncer thing I agree with what you are saying about if you can’t get out of a situation then go “As soon as you know there is no way out, hit, hit hard, and hit a lot. There can be no hesitation. You'll hear that from many sources, but until you ingrain it, it’s just an intangible concept and does no good.”

I have never been a bouncer but although my main career is in health care I have been involved in exective/vip protection for ten years. My main weapon of choice of course is a fire arm, but I have had to use non-lethal force once (while on the job). To this date I haven’t had to use my .45.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Almost hit squarly on the head, missing slightly and bending the nail a bit ;)

Good article, I just got the feeling it encouraged engaging. I don't think this is a good thing, just because your a bouncer you don't know you can win, or ejits mate is in the crowd a bottle, not to mention revenge or legel consiquences. being diplomatic can lead to a less violent life.

But its good point to make, once you do decide to fight, commit 100%, you still have to decide how much damage you'll try and do.

So how do you decide when to commit!?