Reconnoiter's winter log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by reconnoiter, Dec 10, 2011.

1. reconnoiter

reconnoiter Valued Member

Heya,

Since many other users have a log of their own, I thought that what the hell... I'll just get a tad bit of extra motivation through the log for myself as well.

Basically, I've got a goal of running 2900m (at least) in a Cooper, 50 situps in a minute, 40 push ups in a minute, to be able to jump at least 2.4m without taking speed, and carry a 55kg doll for 150m in under than 120seconds. These results would get me on the top 25-35% in an entrance exam at an academy, which should get me in easily.

I haven't tried all of those yet, but my current situation is the following:
    2500m officially on a Cooper (3 weeks ago) - Timed by a friend, and signed
    2600m unofficially on a Cooper (1 week ago) - Timed by myself (this is the minimum requirement)
    42 situps in a minute,
    34 push ups in a minute

I'll update the current situation with the goals once in a few weeks to see if I am making improvement and then think what kind of changes I have to make to my training. I do Karate 2 times a week used to do it 3-4 times a week but our second gym is closed until January unfortunately... Then I try to jog or cross country ski multiple times a week on par with normal strength training.

Now to the log!

10.12:

I went cross country skiing today, haven't been able to do that for 8 months, the sports organization finished the cross country track yesterday, so went for a little spin today.

I did 6.2km in 35min, which I consider a decent speed, will have to try and get the speed to at least 15km/h by the end of the winter.

Was busy otherwise today, so I didn't have enough time to do other exercises and hence the reason why I was able to ski for that short of a while. And I definitely should've waited for a tad longer... There were a few rocks on the track, so the contact surface of the skiis got a bit scratched, will have to remove the wax from them and melt some plastic on the biggest scratches and rewax them in a few weeks.

Any suggestions on diet? I'm dropping white bread, and eating more salads and fruits, but what kind of diet could be useful?

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Welcome to the club, and best of luck with your training

3. reconnoiter

11.12:

Doing the Tough Mudder Workout today! I only have 1 dumbbell (adjustable weight from 2.5kg to 8.5kg, quite old, should get a set of them...) Those of you who are interested should check it out here: http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/

60 seconds on each exercise, changing between exercise should not take any longer than 15 secs:

TM Push Up - 14 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists, really have to get those dumbbells..)
    The fist and The Fury - 28 on each arm (7.5kg kettleball)
    Back Row - 38 (7.5kg kettleball in each arm)
    Push up plus row - 27 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists)
    Lunge & Twist - 26 (7.5kg kettleball)
    Shoulder Press - 24 (7.5kg kettleball on each hand)
    Decline Push up - 37
    Quick feet - 35
    Tough Chinp up - 17
    Superman Plank - 60 seconds + 7 seconds
    Drunk Superman Side Planks - 43 seconds on left arm, 51 seconds on right arm

Palm stop swing with kettleballs, 22 on each arm.
    32 sit ups

Prior to this, I did 45minutes of snow shoveling in the morning (snowed loads today and during last night) and 5 minutes before the workout, shoveled another 25 minutes of snow.

Someone have any tips on what kind of dumbbells I should get?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Where are you in Suomi to get so much snow?

Bit around the south-west coast but not too much. The ice is a pain in the **** though.

5. reconnoiter

Tell me about the ice... Can't jog properly, have to balance almost every single step, so can't run as fast as I'd like to, and cross country skiing is limited, but this should change during next week as it has snowed so much.

I'm located at the Northern part of the Gulf of Bothnia.

6. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Here is a tip for earlier question of your diet.
    Tip #1: Cut down on all processed sugars and carbohydrates. And shift towards more organic products.
    Tip#2: When making food or choosing what to eat, ask yourself, how is this going to help improve your health or maintain your current level of health?

apart from that keep it up

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

What are you trying to do with your diet? For fuel you need carbs, for maintaining muscle you need protein. Have you tried supplements? I'm on a zig-zag diet it helps tremendously with metabolism, weight loss, and maintaining or building muscle. Good Luck!

8. reconnoiter

Tomorrow I'll know my muscle and fat percentage, but I'm looking to increase my muscle mass by a bit, and decrease my fat. I currently weigh 74kg, so I'm looking to stay at about the same weight area, possibly even drop to 70kg.

Obewan, the Zig Zag diet looks just about what I'm looking for, I'll give that a try, thanks!

12.12 Doing a part of the Tough Mudder workout exercises again, been quite busy as well today... Hopefully, after next week, my schedule will have more free time and I'll be able to do long workouts.

60 seconds on each exercise, changing between exercise should not take any longer than 15 secs:

TM Push Up - 12 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists)
    The fist and The Fury - 30 on each arm (7.5kg kettleball)
    Back Row - 41 (7.5kg kettleball in each arm)
    Push up plus row - 12 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists)
    Lunge & Twist - 15 (7.5kg kettleball)
    Shoulder Press - 27 (7.5kg kettleball on each hand)
    Decline Push up - 39
    Quick feet - 34
    Tough Chin up - 8 in 30 secs + 8 in 30 secs (couldn't do it in one go...)
    Superman Plank - 60 seconds + 13 seconds (going for as long as I can after I reach 60 seconds)
    Drunk Superman Side Planks - 46 seconds on left arm, 48 seconds on right arm

Palm stop swing with 7.5kg kettleballs, 23 on the left arm, 25 on the right arm
    Sit Ups - 29

Noticed calculation mistakes on a few of the previous exercises (11.12), had counted too many reps... :bang:

So these were actually:

Push up plus row - 13 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists)
    Lunge & Twist - 13 (7.5kg kettleball)
    Quick feet - 35
    Tough Chin up - 9 in 30 secs, 8 in 30 secs (couldn't do it in one go...)

9. reconnoiter

Got my InBody measurements today, I've made progress in the last 3 months! 3 months ago when I was at the test, my fat percentage was 19.1% and my muscle mass was 34.5kg (weight 75.5kg), the current results are: fat percentage 15.5%, muscle mass 35.4kg (weight 74.4kg). Happy with this! I wonder if I should try and get my fat percentage to 10%...

Did 30 minutes of snow shoveling prior to the exercises (mother nature is really giving us what's late...)

Ballsday! All the following are done with a 7.5kg kettle ball.

Warmup:
    Swing around hips
    2x30
    Swing around head
    2x30
    Press
    1x30

Exercises:
    Shoulder Swing
    3x30
    Double shoulder Swing
    2x15
    Shoulder Swing with Dip
    2x20
    Shoulder Press
    2x20
    Shoulder Press from ground
    2x20
    Double Shoulder Press
    1x15
    Palm stop swing:
    2x30

And to top is off, the following exercises in 60 seconds:
    Push ups: 37
    Sit ups: 36

About a 30 minute training.

Obewan, I remember you mentioning supplements, what kind of supplements do you mean? I use a recovery drink after heavy exercise, but not after a 30-45minute "little sweat".

10. reconnoiter

14.12 Rest Day

Had a Karate practice for an hour, feeling good since I haven't been able to make it to the practice for the past 1½ weeks. And the holidays are coming up, which means that we will have cancelled trainings as well. :(

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I have a program that I do, I don't want to break the MAP tos because I happen to be a distributor of the product. Essentially it is nutrition drinks packed with protein, about 300 calories and 30 grams protein I have one in the am and one at noon. For training I have a drink that gives me a boost of energy to enhance my training and after the workout I drink a recovery packed with protein. On the zig-zag diet I add a breakfast sausage to up my calories, for lunch I may eat a hot dog, cheese, or turkey/chicken sandwich to add calories, for dinner I eat whatever depends on my calorie needs. I have no problem eating cake or pie or ice cream to get my calories. Throughout the day I drink tea. I try to get 2400 calories on my high day's and 1800 on my low days. Good Luck!

EDIT: I try to have between 5-6 meals a day.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  12. reconnoiter

16.12 - Yet another day with the KB's

Warmup:
    Swing around hips
    2x30
    Swing around head
    2x30
    Press
    1x30

Exercises:
    Shoulder Swing
    3x30
    Double shoulder Swing
    2x15
    Shoulder Swing with Dip
    2x20
    Shoulder Press
    2x20
    2x20
    Double Shoulder Press
    1x15
    Palm stop swing:
    2x30

And to top is off, the following exercises in 60 seconds:
    Push ups: 40
    Sit ups: 44

About a 30 minute training. Luckily the schedule's loosening up soon, and the temperatures should get colder so that the roads won't be just ice and water so I can jog and ski.

13. reconnoiter

18.12/19.12 rest days.

Decided to combine the Tough Mudder exercises and Kettleball exercises, sweating like a pig and quite tired.

TM Push Up - 12 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists)
    The fist and The Fury - 32 on each arm (7.5kg kettleball)
    Back Row - 43 (7.5kg kettleball in each arm)
    Push up plus row - 12 (2kg wrist weights on both wrists)
    Lunge & Twist - 17 (7.5kg kettleball)
    Shoulder Press - 27 (7.5kg kettleball on each hand)
    Decline Push up - 46
    Quick feet - 42
    Tough Chin up - 8 in 30 secs + 7 in 30 secs (couldn't do it in one go...)
    Superman Plank - 60 seconds + 14 seconds (going for as long as I can after I reach 60 seconds)
    Drunk Superman Side Planks - 51 seconds on left arm, 51 seconds on right arm

Double shoulder Swing
    2x15
    Shoulder Swing with Dip
    2x20
    Shoulder Press
    2x15
    2x15
    Double Shoulder Press
    1x10

As is seen here, the emd of my exercise starts to decrease in the amount of reps from the previous one, but this time I managed to combine both the kettleball and Tough Mudder exercises, quite tired and happy with the amount of exercise done.

14. reconnoiter

21.12 Intended to go to practice, but didn't manage to make it...

22.12 A nice 2 hour independent karate training. Sensei nor Sempai's turned up, so i guess they're enjoying their holiday. Anyways, practiced some punches and kicks on the boxing bags, smashing things up... Peeled the skin off my right foot after doing 3x25 mawashigeri's on each foot, and my, my feet stung after this. I was gonna go jogging, but turned out that the practice was quite heavy, so I was too tired. Took me 31min for this jog.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  15. reconnoiter

Ran today for 5km. Also did the Cooper, and got a result of 2500m. Not really pleased with this result, but I can't really complain as I haven't run for a while... Should start running multiple times a week, not just a few times. Also the frigging north wind seemed always to be blowing in the opposite direction (against me!)... Anyways, I was planning on running 6.9km, but I didn't feel good after 4.5km, so I decided to call it a day.

16. reconnoiter

Happy Holidays! (A bit late..)

Got a new boxing bag, 47kg, I built a pulley system for it, and managed to try it out for 30 minutes until the hook snapped off from the pulley... Nothing broke, so I just have to get a stronger hook between the pulley and bag. The pulley stayed nice and firmly on the roof.

Early wake up, went to the Gym with sh31kk1, I ran a Cooper on the treadmill, 2700m. I noticed that running on a treadmill is a bit different than running on a track. I should train at a higher speed on the treadmill for the cooper to adjust my running speed a bit higher. It's easier to keep at a constant pace for a higher speed.

Also, we did about 7x2 minute Bas Rutten's Thai Boxing sets. Good stuff...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Try putting the treadmill on an incline to better simulate road running.

18. reconnoiter

Sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to increase the distance of my Cooper runs, so I'll be increasing the speed of the treadmill and the incline a bit by bit, and then a few times a week do normal jogs.

19. reconnoiter

27.12 rest day

Went running on the streets again (very very icy, can't run at the fastest speed), got 5km in 27 minutes and 30 seconds, and 2550m in a cooper.

After this, I put the boxing bag on the new hook that I made in the morning, did 7x2min rounds of Bas Rutten's Thai boxing rounds.

20. reconnoiter

Nothing special, had a few days off during the new years!

1.12 Started the New Year off with a nice 45 minute session on the boxing bag! Spent about 25 minutes practicing punches on the bag, and then 7x2min rounds of Bas Rutten's Thai Boxing. Feeling the punching on my hands today!

2.12 A little training, gonna hit the gym tomorrow in the morning.

2x10 chin ups
    2x50 sit ups
    2x15 squats with 7.5kg kettleball

What other kinds of training methods can I do for abs? I think I have to improve my abdominal strength.