Recommended reading on Doce Pares Eskrima?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by progdan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Hi fellow Eskrimadors, I'm fairly new to the forum, and I just started Eskrima this year as an extra option for weapons defense in my Krav Maga classes. I was wondering if there existed a good book resource on Doce Pares Eskrima to complement the learning, and also help as far as remembering all the names of the different exercises and patterns, and also covering the technique etc.? I had a brief search but couldn't find much... Thanks.

2. embra

embra Valued Member

I tried to find a text specifically on Doce Pares, but did not find one. I have about 10 months of various strands of FMA via Eskrima/Arnis/Kali with different teachers, and like you initially I have found the number of drills and their variations, can sometimes be difficult to remember.

A detailed text would help, but at the moment, I have not found any that I believe cover the practicalities well. There are a number of DVDs around that do seem to cover the practicalities well. I have found this book

Cebuano Eskrima Beyond the Myth, by Ned R Nepangue and Celestino C Macachor, published by Xlibris.

to explain with great depth and clarity, the origins of Eskrima and how the different strands have evolved to form the major systems (including Doce Pares), along with some technical coverage of the basics and differences. This is the best text that I have found so far. I believe Mark Wiley's texts are also well appreciated in the FMA community.

To understand Eskrima even at a basic level, I reckon 3 factors are necessary 1) continous real experience and assimilation of principles 2) Conceptual understanding of the terminology and 3) recognising where all the different strands come from, how they are borrowed from each other and aggregated together. I am begining to piece this together somewhat better now and will when time permits, post some technical questions on MAP as there are a few areas that I would like to get more expert opinion on e.g. I still remain to be convinced somewhat about some of the inside-to-outside switching principles and Eskrimadors often seem to make contact somewhat squarely compared to other MAs that I have trained in (Aikido and Tai Chi Chuan). However, at this point I cannot yet formulate the questions accurately enough.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

They're bloody difficult to find, but GM Cacoy Canete has written four books on Doce Pares over the years. I only have the first one, which I got from him directly many, many years ago. But I'm guessing the others are at least as good as this one. Probably worth the search.

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Do you know why these books from GM Cacoy Canete are not available now?

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I expect they are. They're just not widely distributed. Can't get them through Amazon. You might try eBay. They don't seem to be available on his website, though it might be worth dropping an email over there to ask where they are available.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

7. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Thanks fellas. There's a Martial Arts store in town which has a massive range of books, I haven't seen any by GM Canete, but I'll have to ask the store owner, perhaps if he can order anything in. I think it'd definately be a valuable resource to have.

8. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Books on Doce Pares

I liked GM Diony's book on Espada y Daga a lot. GM Cacoy's books are probably available through his website.

There is a chapter on San Miguel Eskrima (Momoy Canete's art) in Mark Wiley's Filipino Fighting Arts; Rey Galang also has a chapter on SME in one of his books as well.

Do a google search for "Eskirma in Post-1900 Cebu" and there's a bit of history there too.

Best,

Steve

9. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for them. :)

10. rollout1

rollout1 New Member

Contact Guru Sony Mayo @the Mayo acad. in Woodhaven Queens NY he has the book on hand and can point you in the right direction.

eskrima kali arnis, by D.A.Canete

11. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

GM Cacoy's books are listed on his site, but it doesn't seem to say if/how they're available. My teacher has a copy of his excellent Eskrido book.