Recommended books on FMA...

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by LastFMArnisador, Oct 13, 2004.

1. LastFMArnisador

LastFMArnisador New Member

Hello fellow stick/blade-wielding folks !

Was wondering if you have any good books and litterature over the subject of FMA... please no instruction books about specific styles but just the books that deal with the history, culture and social aspect of the FMA... :Angel:

Im building a personal library about many things in my small dorm, everything from popular culture to social issues, computer related stuff and a few "umentionable" books. I know the internet is the best place to get this info easily but what i get is the web-authors view of FMA. Dont want that. :woo:

We all have reasons to train this and that art because its like this and that and so on, but i'm pursuing a more general approach to learn how the FMA affect the individual then the group, and then from the family to the society as a whole....
    well, hope you all might understand what im trying to tell here. :confused:

can y'all spare a dime for a thought and maybe a book or two about fma ? :D

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Do a look up on Mark Wiley. He's been publishing on the Filipino arts and culture for a number of years.

- Matt

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  4. XiaoFu

XiaoFu Valued Member

I believe Mark V. Wiley's <Filipino Martial Culture> is exactly the book you're looking for.

With 300+ pages, it's an in-depth research of FMA's history and culture, covering many aspects relating to the arts--even the ritual and folklore stuff.

It's a very enjoyable read to me--and would be so to all serious FMA lovers, I think. :)

I found the account on Antonio 'Tatang' Illustrisimo's life the most fascinating part of this book: It's a story of an era when arnis was a tool of survival and 'death matches' were common, reminding us what 'martial arts' originally meant to their practitioners.

5. krys

krys Valued Member

This era is not finished, in the provinces (especially the muslim ones) the fighting spirit of old is still alive. Although firearms are more and more common arnis is still used there to kill, during quarrels or encounters between armed bands. Even in Manila there are enough thugs and addicts around to make you practice arnis for survival.