Really interesting info on leg kick damage

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

2. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Nice vid, I think the combo video's at the bottom would probably be more useful if they worked though, the list is full of very popular combo's. I'm unsure how helpful anatomical info is outside of the basics though. I know I've never aimed for a particular spot on the opponents leg, mostly because I don't want to look down before leg kicking lol. Having said that, I've had a variety of injuries from leg kicks, and have seen a variety inflicted too.

I think learning to set up the kick and land it effectively is the best place to be spending time, rather than anatomy, which is why it's a shame those combo vids aren't working (for me at least). Heavy leg kicks will hurt no matter where they land.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

No, I do agree... I think that if you are used to a certain spot, over time and practice you would likely hit those spots more often then not.

My main point wasn't really that with the link so much as just from one of the other threads we were talking about leg kicks and as far as the way the leg is made up that it's very susceptible to damage... maybe even more so than other areas.

4. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Indeed, the leg can be damaged in many ways! I took some pretty hefty knee damage (MCL + cartilage) from an average leg kick in sparring. From reading up online, I believe it may have been caused by the heavy work out + leg and body conditioning that was already done.

Perhaps somebody could confirm/deny this, but the reading I did basically suggested the more tired + damaged the leg already is, the more susceptible it becomes to injury. I don't mean like, kick a guy ten times and you're more likely to hurt him. I mean like, apparently if the leg is tired and has taken a few hits, the muscle, ligaments and tendons are also weakened and less resistant to impact, so a kick in a different part of the same leg could still cause an injury.