Real weird injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Guizzy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I've had this weird stretching pain for about a month in my inner thigh (right next to the jewels) and I'm afraid to imagine what it could be.

It first happened when I was sparring with a friend of mine. I lift my knee to intercept an incoming kick, and *BAM* intense pain inside the thigh. It was not that his hit connected (he was well outside), and I did not lift my knee especially high either. I decided to stay calm for the day (skipped training as well).

But since then, I've been having regularly that pain (less intense) during my training. Sometimes I can ignore it, but sometimes it's also sapping my concentration during set-fighting. I usually need to relax there a while before I'm ready to start again, and even then it's not long before it comes back.

More troubling is that I've recently noticed a sort of "ticking" when it happens.

I don't know if it's something important or not. And since I'm in Canada, I'd rather not add myself to the waiting lists if it's really nothing. More importantly, I would have no idea what kind of doctor would be able to help me.

Anyone ever had something similar? Anyone has tips for me?

And please keep wiseass comments for yourself, thanks.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sounds like you've pulled/torn/tweaked something in your groin. It's basically an area where many different things end and start (tendons, ligaments, muscles). Sort of like a central connection hub. Obviously not an area where you want problems.

The only way to know for sure is to get to a doctor or a physio.
    Don't delay and don't continue to train on it or try to stretch it out.
    You surley don't want this to become chronic.

A doctor or a physio that is sports oriented would be best. Depending on your health care system you may have to get a referral from one to the other.

Don't play around with something like this as it can dog you for many years if you don't treat it properly and don't rehab it correctly.

I would imagine that once they make a proper diagnosis and set you on a period of rest and treatment that you're going to be doing a lot of massage in that region and using heating pads there on a regular basis. Once it starts to heal you'll most likely help that process along by increasing the heat to the areas so as to increase the circulation - there by helping the healing process.

But I digress... a doctor or a physio really needs to be giving you the info and the pointers. Get there ASAP.

Good luck.

note: wow... no wisecracks! :p

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  3. Matasorapit

Matasorapit New Member

Yeah, you have pulled a muscle in your inner thigh (adductor brevis). This is common in many martial arts. You may need physo but if you want you can also take my advice.

Rest it for a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks. That includes not stretching it or throwing kicks, not just to the side but front also. The time spent not stretching and kicking may also give your hips and legs time to re cover and get stronger. It will also give you time to get better with your hand strikes.

You can also get a rag, soak it in Castor Oil and place it on the sore area, cover it with a plastic bag and then place a heat pad over top. Keep it on for half an hour to an hour.

Pysio is good but if you have someone in your area with accupunture and you dont mind the needles, then thats your best bet.

Hope you recover soon and when you begin training again, do it slowly and let your muscles get better in there time. Either that or you will be injured again and also could be for ever.

Good luck

4. Guizzy

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll give my legs a rest for a while, until this has healed or until a physio tells me otherwise. I'll try to see one, but I'm not sure if I will be able to before this has healed/aggraved.

I'll also try massaging it, though I'm not sure I'm too keen in putting heat there (my title just under my name refers to a previous incident with Tiger Balm and my thigh).

But really, thanks for the advice.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You should be trying to get to a physio as soon as you can. The longer you put it off the longer it will take you to know what the problem really is.

Tiger Balm doesn't count as heat. That is only a topical. It will not increase the blood flow or circulation to the injured area. What I meant when I referred to heat was a heating pad:

1) the chemical response kind - clear liquid in a flexible plastic pouch

2) hot water bottle

3) hot towels

4) hand warmer (the chemical kind used by skiers etc. to keep hands warm)

Anyhow - good luck.

6. Guizzy

Just thought I'd let you know what happened next.

I recently noticed a bulge where there was pain (perhaps it was there before and I just hadn't noticed), so I went to see a doctor (no time to wait for a physio, plus the bulge made it unlikely to be muscle-related).

Turns out it's a inguinal hernia; part of the intestines pushing through some weak spots in the pelvis. It's sometimes caused by strenuous physical activity (which explains why it happened after I started my Kung Fu). I'm seeing a surgeon next week to get that fixed.