Real Street Jeet Kune Do Clip

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Jun 21, 2008.

1. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Here's a thread would really be worth seeing grow a hundred posts long - clips expressing real street effectivenesss!

Supposedly, anytime B. Lee'd encounter something which expressed his ideal of true Jeet Kune Do - no matter the source - he'd say exclaim - "now that's JKD!"

The following clip epresses that. The guy "Hit First, Hit Hard, Hit Fast," and just as important, quickly got himself ready to "Hit Aagain!"

He also incorporated what JKD would call ABD (Attack By Drawing, in this case, by drawing attention to his right hand). All qualities Lee sought in JKD -and this guy's supposedly not even a JKD guy!

Dude - that forearm smash was simple, direct and above all, non-classical - and you exploded that technique from a cocked rear heel, up through your hip, up through your shoulder, out through your strike like a powerful water hose putting out afire - man you exploded into that strike - now that's JKD!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEv6i-lhIWc"]Pimp vs Karate - YouTube[/ame]

No wonder the guy looks like he's expressing JKD - it's his science - now that's JKD!

Jay Lee was a professional athlete for several years competing internationally in martial arts and performing in exhibitions. In addition to competing, he coached several international class competitors.

After retiring from competition, he returned to the University of Houston, earning a Ph.D. in Kinesiology with an emphasis in motor behavior and cognate areas of measurement and evaluation.

Since then he has continued to work in law enforcement training and education, and in sport including work with developing level athletes through Olympians.

His interests include Reversal Theory and exercise psychology.

His prior teaching experience includes ten years at the Houston Police Department as the physical education instructor and tactical training coordinator, and as an assistant professor at Lamar University, the University of Houston, and Barry University Jay is currently an assistant professor at Stephen F. Austin State University.

He has presented numerous times at the Reversal Theory Society (RTS), the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology (AAASP), and others.

Jay is a member of the Reversal Theory Society, American College of Sports Medicine, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, and the Society for Human Performance in Extreme Environments, and is a AAASP Certified Consultant.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...on+Police+Department&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

How did that feel to you - honestly, I'm dumbstruck myself - I feel like - like I didn't hit - like IT hit all by ITSELF!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm curious to know. You say JKD was his science/art or whatever... but I thought his background was in competitive Karate. All of the background from the link you provided was interesting (you really should put that in a quote and cite the link)... but it doesn't provide a single reference to JKD at all. None. Not one. Where you get that bit from?:confused:

I strongly suspect that if he spent time in competitive fighting (eg. karate comps) that he'd most likely be relying on that instead of JKD.

Does JKD even have competitions? :confused:
    Surely the competitive aspect mentioned in the reference you provided doesn't refer to JKD, but rather to Karate.

The idea of anything that is effective in a street fight being 'JKD' is a bit silly. Oh wait... he's just pulled out a 357 magnum.... sweet... JKD. :p
    Or... wait... TKD boy manages to pull off a 540 tornado kick and actually land it with KO power against some knuckle dragger because Venus has aligned with Pluto.. that's also JKD?!
    Sweetness. I never would have known. :D

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I saw this years ago, i thought back then the guy was karate too???

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

When the Jason Bourne movies came out any number of martial artists recognised technique from their respective arts.You see what you want to see. Get over BL.

That video was pure distract and sucker punch.

regards koyo

5. Hiroji

Good points, a strike is a strike, no style has a monoploy on a human bodily movement.

6. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Jay Lee is a Karateka. In JeetKuneDero's original post (before he eddited it) he made mention of him not being a JKD guy yet employing the basic principles of JKD or something like that, which I can see where he is coming from.

And no, there are no official JKD competitions.

Em

7. JeetKuneDero

Acutally, you're a bit off. I forget in which movie I saw this - it's been in several - there is this scene wherein some guy pulls out a huge saber (sword) on the movie's main character. Well, "main character" just up and pulls out a pistol and shoots the sword guy. End of story! "That was JKD!"

Was he trained in actual JKD, the label? Probably not! Did he in that moment physically express the highest principles of JKD where sreet survival is concerned? Did he... Hit First, Hit Hard, Hit Fast, and so forth? Yes.

Again, did he perhaps have a JKD certificate (personally signed and handed tio him by Lee himself) somewhere on his person? Probably not!

Here was my point about that Karateka (for that IS his background) - the phrase, “American as apple pie” - is it a description of an actual pie? Apple, for that matter? Is it a description of an actual “American”?

The phrase, “Caught between a rock and a hard place,” is it describing an actual rock, or an actual hard place?

Aren’t these actually phrases or labels which people within a certain culture have over time come to agree on as handy phrases or labels which, when used, will serve to describe/capture “in a nutshell,” between people within that culture a basic essence noticed in something?

The phrase, “Now that’s JKD,” together with the breakdown of it and the example I gave, are like that. I was not describing someone certified in “JKD, the label” but rather in many of its highest ideals where true street combat skill are concerned, no matter their origin.

As such, it was just my use of a convenient label – please, as Lee would've said, "don’t fuss over it" – don’t try to make it out more than it was. Doing so you’ll only cause yourself to miss out on what true JKD is – a physical description of the essence of maximum efficiency in real life street fighting.

You know, in replying to your post, STJ, I was tempted to stoop to arrogance and all that. But I refused to. Instead, I've chosen to respect where ever you may be at with this. No problem. "That" too, "is JKD."

This being a "JKD" thread, I really meant to inspire the posting of more clips which exemplify the highest ideals of true JKD, no matter their source - the highest of real life street combat efficiency. Nothing more. Peace.

8. Hiroji

So to simplify what your saying;...

that just using whatever works in the moment (like a forearm smash) is in a way JKD as your using whatever works for you at the time? without thinking reverse punch or judo chop before?

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

To act spontaneously in the moment relevant to circumstance is the aim of ALL martial arts.

regards koyo

10. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

QFT

11. JeetKuneDero

"That's it - now how did that feel to you!" - LOL!

Sorry man, as deeply steeped as I've been in all things JKD culture, the stuff just expresses itself out of me whenever ITfinds a fit. Can't get enough of it - the man, mortal, imperfect as he was, was nevertheless fortunate to have uncovered the truths he did (no matter their source).

12. JeetKuneDero

Don't forget "with maximum combat efficiency." It's a key difference.

Come on people - where are those clips - LOL!

13. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

He didnt exactly uncover truths, he just brought it to a wider audience.

Ive said previously, BJJ did the same as BL. There were people training in the ground game also, just that the Gracies like BL televised it and people took notice

Come on man, if I clinched and kneed someone in the head, punched them in the jaw, hip tossed them onto their head or RNC them. Would that not be classed as using max efficiency?

14. JeetKuneDero

Both your points reveal you are merely applying your own logic rather than logic which is the result of extensive research based on principles proven scientifcally sound (both mentally and physically).

Anyone who spends the kind of time someone like Lee was known to have spent "researching his own experience" in that way - based on having trained himself to see from the point of view of sound science - cannot but uncover truths lost and or new to mankind or what have you. Heck I've had that experience myself - no big deal!

As for your second comment, it proves what I have just stated - for if what you have described had its intended effect on your oponent then all you did was describe what JKD also views as as maximum combat eficiency.

If on the other hand, it turns out to have been wasteful, inefficient and contrary to JKD's "anything that scores," than no, that's not JKD (no matter the source/expression).

Hope that clears that up - Peace.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

wow.
    That's a seriously long bit of waffle. :p

16. JeetKuneDero

Ain't that the truth :eek:

17. Topher

Topher allo!

It sounds like you're defining JKD to mean anything effective. Do you not see the problem with that? Now you have a superfluous term to describe effectiveness. Why not just say it is effective? Probably because it allows JKD to ride on the back of other styles without having to produce anything itself!

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

He's actually a Tang Soo Do guy and that was a chop to the neck - about as classical as it gets.

19. JeetKuneDero

This is Tang Soo Do:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBNDgpKJDdU"]YouTube[/ame]

Notice the "classical" retraction of the unused fist to the "classical" hip position:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBNDgpKJDdU"]YouTube[/ame]

What Jay Lee exhibits in his own clip is non-classical, liberated from it, stripped down to the reality of the street the cops he was training have to encounter on a day to day basis.

In fact, even his "Hit First" offensive rather than the standard "classical" defensive mentality is itself non-classical.

People can say what they will, but the reality is that "classical dry land swimming" martial arts - even in way too many JKD circles - are still very much the norm, rather than the exception.

Reality based street effectiveness is a small minority in the world of martial arts. Always will be so long as the masses continue to raise their offspring to basically fear the same things they did - to not rock the boat, and so forth.

It is what it is.

Nevertheless, some will take eception to this. That to is what it is.

True JKD is simple, direct, non-classical. Any martial artist who breaks out of the confines of "the same suit for everyone," is expressing that aspect of true JKD - simple, direct, non-classical, thus highly effective.

That said, out of some 5 Billion peopl on the planet why aren't they all of one opnion. Why don't all agree? Whatever the reason, they/we are all subject to the same universal laws of nature., Whether we agree on that or not.

On this point this debate is over for me - everyone is entited to their own two sense - regardless of the fact that we all bleed when cut...

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

And? That dude is a Karate champion. That's as classical as it gets. No good Karate or Tang Soo Do guy is going to tell you to chamber like that except in drills. There is no debate. There is only a fact. That guy is a classically trained Martial Artist using a classical martial arts technique. Simple as.