Real or 'Roid?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by belltoller, Jan 8, 2015.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think it depends. I expect some actors have an easier time gaining muscle mass than others. If they can make the gains naturally, then that is always going to be the preferred option, but if they're a couple of months out from filming and they need to pack on the weight quick, a little extra help might be needed. They're not athletes, so it's not really cheating.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And they know it will not be a long term thing so can roid for a few months for a role without the same sort of long term damage/effects that an athlete using might get I think.
    And don't forget the benefits of good lighting and post production! Can do wonders.
    Hell...even on 300 they basically painted abs on some of the actors. :)

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think anyone getting paid millions of dollars to train full-time, and a team of professional trainers, nutritionists, chefs, psychologists, and doctors behind them, can make incredible (oftentimes unbelievable) gains.

5. belltoller

As the article implies...but ... taking a 35+ non-athlete to 20+ lbs of muscle gain in under a year? Is that reasonable?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also...don't forget the hollywood hype machine.
    Is it really 20lb's of muscle in a year or is that what the publicist said it was as part of the hype for the film?
    "20lbs of muscle!" sounds a lot more impressive than "put on 7 lbs of muscles, dropped 15lbs of fat, was lit really well in the film and then every publicity image was photoshopped before being released to the media".
    I know which I think is nearer to the truth. :)

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'm 5 feet tall and in my first year of lifting i put on 10 kilos, while training like an idiot and eating my face off. an average size male training and eating optimally could pull that off extremely easily, i would say. it probably wouldn't even be a very noticeable weight gain on someone 6 foot or over unless he's extremely thin to begin with.

it's putting on weight when you've already been training a while that becomes difficult, and 35 in pure strength training terms isn't that old, even if one's not exactly a babe in the woods.yes, it'll make things difficult an you have to train smart, but if you play your cards right it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

8. belltoller

Speaking of the "Hollywood Hype Machine" - one of the problems I've always had with the portrayal of fighter's - is he a body-builder or a boxer? ( do they know there be a difference? )

[​IMG]

9. belltoller

In your case, it was prolly just sitting there, waiting to come out of the closet. You young'uns and your hormone explosions :rolleyes::)

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Put the real reason in there for you fishy.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

haters gonna hate, baldies gonna bald :p

@belltoller, i was actually out of my teens when i started lifting, else i'd probably be a solid blob of muscle by now :p

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

THIS is a real fighter's physique!

[​IMG]

13. belltoller

Close, but I war thinking more along the lines of

[​IMG]

14. belltoller

Now - one of my favourites - Micky Rourke is 62, IIRC

[​IMG]

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And beats up homeless people apparently....

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

But only homeless people who have been paid to take a dive.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That is not normal...

18. belltoller

Rourke?? Didn't hear that one. Doesn't DQ him from the 'Roid or Real' contest!

19. Hannibal

20. Hannibal

Back on topic, Ryback - Real or Roidy Magoo?

[​IMG]