Real Life story for those who doubt Chinese medicine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jinkan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

I see lots of doubt expressed about Chi, Acupuncture, and Chinese medicine. That doubt cannot be overcome in a few minutes discussion. The doubters will need to see lots of evidence of the efficacy of Chinese medicine before they will on their own begin to believe in Chinese medicine.

The story linked below is about an important Lebanese man who found relief in Chinese medicine. It will not convince anyone that Chinese medicine works. But it is one piece of evidence in the collection that will eventually convince the doubters that Chinese medicine does work.

"I got a warm feeling from the experience because the doctors and nurses treated every patient in the same caring way. There was no discrimination against anyone, whether you were a member of the UN peacekeepers or an ordinary local resident," Al Saidi said.

"And I trusted my doctor, Yun Mingdong. Whenever I came to see him, he was reading books about traditional Chinese medicine. Seizing every second to learn like this, he must be an excellent doctor."

Al Saidi said he was so amazed by the completely natural treatment. "I had heard from older family members that Chinese medicine is amazing, and I was always curious about it. Now I've seen it with my own eyes, and I'm very impressed."

He showed how smoothly he could move his arm and said, "You see, my shoulder is now completely healed!"

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2011-02/19/content_12043627.htm

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm not so crazy for the source... the China Daily?!?!

Sheesh... it's pretty much the Beijing mouthpiece English language paper. Of course they'll publish anything that promotes Chinese medicine... or pretty much anything that's uber Sino-positive. Sorry but China Daily isn't a great source in my opinion. Even the Chinese don't buy it... the one paper on the stands that is always still stocked high at the end of the day.... God only knows it's got to be a state run industry so it's not got to even make money. :p

That being said... there are dozens of articles here in China every month on some aspect of TCM. Usually run in the South China Morning Post.... at least they publish the stuff that papers like CD won't even touch for fear of Beijing reprimand. God forbid some cadre looked bad or lost face. Maybe once I get the scanner hooked up... I'll post some up. But the China Daily isn't taken all that seriously by those here in China.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Can't say for the other two, but the USG (specifically the USN) actually supports acupuncture as well. It is now an available treatment for those that have suffered a mild TBI and don't want to take oral medicines for extended period of time. Plus the US Navy has proof that it works for this particular injury...sorry..can't say if it works for anything else though.

4. rivend

rivend Valued Member

These subjects interest me *Chi, Acupuncture, and Chinese medicine* especially Chinese medicine.In my opinion they are the hard to understand and possibly the X factor of the martial arts as for looking at the whole package of our being.And also I tend to look at this topic of books to buy when browsing the book stores or wherever I may find information on these topics.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

If Chinese medicine works then it will stand up to scrutiny in a properly controlled clinical trial. I'll go out on a limb and say that the likelihood is that some of it does and some of it doesn't. IMO, until something has been properly verified, the correct attitude is one of sceptical open-mindedness.

And I know this is something of a cliché, but please bear in mind that the plural of anecdote is not data.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Love this quote! (although I use "evidence" instead of "data")

With so many labs and testing environments available these days to fully study this sort of thing there is no excuse for relying on the local fish-wrapper for proof.

Evidence fail!

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I think it works just as well as any other placebo.

8. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Ben Goldacre has *the* book to read on the subject.

It can't be doubted that the Chinese medicine system is rigorously wrong (as in, the theoretical concepts are scientifically wrong) however it may have interesting contributions to make as a system of linking holistic subjective observations to useful patient treatment.

It has an excellent placebo effect and the "mental wellness" effect of having a doctor who talks through your worries as though they might all be of interest is not be underestimated, but we should not confuse it with the Pharmologically (um, "chemically" in general parlance) active medicine that can be shown to work in trials :).

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

He's getting a mighty plugging on MAP lately, I notice! Seconded, by the way.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Reading things like that causes me physical pain along my skepticsus maximus muscle group. Which is evidence that Chinese medicine is harmful to human health.

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Bunch of ignorant tiger paw and rhino horn merchants. It's not 'medicine'.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

When I was in the PRC back in the mid 80's TCM treated everything perfectly and all patients were perfectly healed.... NOT

Shame that in the lectures we were told how amazing things were but when i visited the hospitals and looked in the streets then I noticed that there were many people sufferring.

Perhaps there are some great secrets in TCM that will help the western medical establishment but too often you hear of things and know that the results have been embellished as no one wants to lose face, embarass a colleague etc...

Lots of possible potential benefits from TCM but I would take most things with a huge grain of salt, particularly if someone had anything seriously wrong or potentially dangerous occuring.

powchoy

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

duplicate

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  14. Knight_Errant

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

16. Knight_Errant

LOL no, his brand of bullcrud is much more unique than furey's, I have to give him that.

17. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

Ben Goldacre is a shill paid to attack whatever his masters want attacked. He is also a coward.

I went to Ben Goldacres forums and started talking about how kidney transplant was wrong in a thread. Ben Goldacre the coward closed the thread. Then he pretended he didn't know what I was talking about when I emailed him about it. I still have the emails.

All "experts" are like that. You get in their face and challenge them and they will slam the door on you before you can expose them for charlatans.

Me? I am right here ready to talk to anybody about anything. So I can never understand why lemmings, um..., people would trust a guy that runs away when challenged, but won't trust a guy who stands there and talks to them when challenged.

Stop trusting the foreigners controlling your country who are lying to you to keep you to weak and stupid to resist their rule.

That guy you idolize is loyal to a foreign country. He does not have your best interests at heart.

18. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

Ok. Let's see who has a brain and who is talking to hear themselves talk.

Knight Errant? What do you think is in Tiger Paw and Rhino Horn?

19. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ah, so you're a crazy person then. Good to know.