Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't get that logic mate. Normally I'm right with you but I don't get where the cut off point is?

Why Knives?
    What about Swords?
    Guns?
    Assault rifles?

Personally I feel the goal of a civilised society should be to create a normality that doesn't require the citizens to walk around armed.
    The UK, by and large, has done that really.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It is the same for firearms

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

And fists.

Oh no - not fists.

4. 47MartialMan

And Rubby Duckies

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Death-Rubber-Duck-Chemistry/dp/0307397122"]Amazon.com: Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health (9780307397126): Rick Smith, Bruce Lourie, Sarah Dopp: Books[/ame]

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That should have had quotes and a smiley on it, but my iphone is not too sharp at that type of thing.....pun intended

Knife culture has actually decreased considerably in the UK compared to where I thought it was going a few years ago. The UK did the right thing in limiting the size/type of knife, leaving the tool behind but targetting the weapon.

However, by the same token the guys that use them still do - it is the "casual" yob or carrier that has been impacted. Has anyone noticed how glassings have reduced too in recent years?

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I'll have you know I've only been accidentally shot at 3-4 times in my life (seriously, I don't quite remember). Most of my friends have never been accidentally shot at. And I found it very stimulating on every occasion.

I don't see a problem with this. People would be much more polite to strangers. :woo:

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It might sort-of-almost-work in a polite country like the USA, but in a country like Britain it would be a total disaster. Most English towns on a Saturday night would be like a bad day in Mogadishu - if you can imagine a Mogadishu where every gun totin' Somali is as ****ed as a fart. I can picture it in my minds eye: "Oi! Are you calling my Uzi a poof?" BANG BANG BANG.

8. daggers

daggers Valued Member

that most guys wearin tapout gear go on a night out and end up getting the poo kicked out of them

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I suspect the government-free American frontier was known as the Wild West for a reason...

Mitch :D

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

So, I was doing some thinking in my car earlier (the toilet and my automobile are where my best brainstorming occurs), trying to quantify what % of my friends have likely been accidentally shot at before. I'm pretty sure it's only about 30%. That's 70% that have NOT been accidentally shot at. Those are good odds.

Pfft. Some places STILL are the Wild West here. Nevada for instance. Texas, second. People rarely go on killing sprees with firearms in these places.

11. 47MartialMan

It was a turbulent time for America. almost no different the the last Samurai era for Japan.

Except guns were the weapons

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In the grand scheme of things, no. Murder rate in this country is reassuringly low. However, this does mean that murder gets a lot of press attention, which leads to the impression that things are worse than they are.

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I remember looking over knife crime stats and not seeing any great increase in numbers killed by knives over the last few years and nothing to indicate that those dying were young lads. The stats are the usual liars.... a 50% increase in deaths may mean one more than last year which in the grand statistical scheme of things is relatively meaningless. There will always be trends up and down but if the average over time doesn't really change much then there is really little change. Not sure if that sounds correct but what I mean is that if the population grows by 30% and there is also a 30% increase in knife crime perhaps that is a reflection of the number of people involved and not an real increase (such as going from 30 to 50% would be). Maybe I am wrong but it seems that too often governments go after the sensational to try and give the impression that they are affecting the usual ;' ).

FWIW

LFD

14. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Just a quick correction, if I may, Late. It isn't the stats that are lying, it is that people are generally incapable of interpreting them, and the way that they are presented in the popular press makes interpretation almost impossible.

And yep, politics are probably at work.... :)

paul

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

When knife murders (as with many other things) make the news headlines, it seems to have two effects:

(1) It creates a perception that there is a problem, which may or may not be disproportionate to the real extent of the problem. This has a cumulative effect as more incidents occur, until the media start to call on the government to take action.

(2) There always seems to be a 'copycat' effect. With crimes as with fashion, some people seem to follow the latest trend like sheep.

Now whether the media is 'hyping' the problem I don't know, but every time I hear of another teenager stabbed to death I think that it's another one too many.

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The media, by their very existence, hype problems. National media is now heavily discouraged from publishinig details on suicides - as when these stories are published the suicide rate jumps for a few weeks following, usually using the same method as the original.

Another media example is boxing, and this one's slightly disturbing to say the least. Following a boxing match, if the loser was white then the murder rate for white people rises slightly (not much, but enough to be statistically significant). The same applies if the loser was black.

So the media don't need to hype or sensationalise the problem, because their influence is so insidious and subtle that any sort of reporting will have an effect.

Really we should do something about this - think about how many negative stories are in the media. Those are having an effect on people's perceptions. A few happy ones might make a world of difference.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The Charlie Brooker show "How Television Ruined Your Life" episode "fear" looked at this issue. The research shows that the more time you spend watching TV, the more likely you are to believe the world is a dangerous place.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

ONLY 30%!?!?!
    Good odds!?!?

Seriously...come and live in the UK. Pretty much 0% of my friends have been shot at, accidentally or not. Much better odds no?

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm curious about the accidentally bit. Are we talking about simply being present when a gun is fired wildly, or suffering a flesh wound, or simply a near miss?

Yes, 30% seems a lot, but in an area where there are a high proportion of gun owners and a high amount of crime saying accidentally shot at doesn't mean much. More useful would be how many have been either accidentally injured, or deliberately shot at.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No idea. Mr Gambit brought it up as if 30% was some sort of achievement. :)