Real Estate in Belgium

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Yohan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

So my boy Journey Barber tells me that I can get a crappy house in Belgium for about 5,000 USD. At first I think he's full of brown stinky stuff so I start looking on the internet, and I'll be damned if he isn't right (at least according to the internet). For example. This charming five bedroom farm house in Waimes is going for 2,500 Euros. That's 3019 USD. That is dirt cheap. Seriously. I've got 3000 USD to blow on a house in Belgium.

http://www.immoweb.be/en/Buy.Estate.cfm?IdBien=2678479&xgallery=&xpage=1

Can someone from Europe tell me if this is for real? I'm going to call these people and invest some cash money in a house. I know where my next vacation is going to be!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

4. Moi

All on the same site though. Might be correct but I'd have thought any real estate within a thousand miles of the UK would have been pushed sky high years ago. It the British persons obbsession to buy property due to the returns.

5. Moi

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The main problem with buying a house in Belgium and moving to Belgium is that you have to move to Belgium.

Mitch

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

As far as I'm concerned, the first rule of investments is that if something seems too good to be true, you've missed some fine print somewhere.

I wouldn't even entertain the possibility of trying to buy a place in a country with different laws (especially wealth tax and income tax laws) without learning a lot about it, and even then I'd be wanting to do all my dealing through a trusted third party to ensure that I wasn't being scammed somehow.

In any case, just remember this simple rule of life: just because it's on the web doesn't mean it's true!

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Guylian chocolates? Guylian chocolates.

9. Mitch

Plus mayonaise on chips and Poirot as a national hero.

Mitch

10. Moi

First had mayonaise on chips at Alton Towers about 300 years ago:cool:

11. Mitch

I first had mayonnaise on chips in Belgium about the same time. Both components were rank :D

Mitch

12. Moi

Never been. Prefer not to have chips at all anymore

13. Moi

.....anyway it better not be true. I've just spent more than that on freakin' paint!

14. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Loved Belgium!! Friendly people, law abiding. Good parks/lakes for the children. Honestly I was impressed when there.

One caveat. Half the country speaks a version of dutch and the other half a version of french.

Never thought of moving there but it sounds like a potential haven.

powchoy

15. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''Caution € 190,000 No is not the starting price or the advertised price because there will be a public sale June 25 at 17h at Bastin, Roer Sourbrodt cafe (near the church) - in one sitting and without making price.! So 190,000 is a shadow price! Watch www.notmaison.be under LI-74 134-10''

Think that these are starting prices on house auctions... oh well :' (

powchoy

16. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Sent an e-mail to a good friend that lives in Belgium when I saw barbers post, and he replied with a big hell no.

17. Moi

18. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Being fluent in French is useful, as Powchoy stated house is being auctioned.

19. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

A house in southern Iraq costs anywhere from 20,000-300,000 USD. Up north it probably costs alot more.

Yes, in the war-scarred, blasted Iraq.

Although, I heard house in Michigan, Dearborn/Detroit area, are as low as 20,000 USD but I haven't confirmed it.

20. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Bout a year back when the recession hit arizona harddd you could get a very nice house (Bit of land, inground pool) for about 50,000$