Razgriz /TKD/Personal Fitness

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Razgriz, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Feet are sore, legs are sore.

It was a good night, first free sparring in a long time.My new Inst was overall impressed but did'nt like my tendency to do turning kicks from the back leg, he feels it leaves me open.

I like to kick with the leg, down with the kicking leg whilst brining the rest of the body in fully side on, gaining a lot of ground and moving with a hand technique.

Though its good to have some different thoughts on your own work.

Fitness levels, i thought I was OK I tired after a while which lost me the abilty to keep the pressure on.

I constantly move, up on the toes of the feet, make feint's etc so to maintain the style sprinting-style fitness is needed.

There were some other minor things from tonight also.. he felt my front kick I wasn't snapping it back im used to kicking for power so something to work on.

Cycling tomorrow will do some running as well as more pattern work.

For now,

Raz

2. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

So I measured the exact distance im cycling today with an app, its 3.5 Miles not 2.. was wondering why it was taking 8 minutes!

Other news, worked out my Body Fat % is around 15% I want to drop that by 5% so lots more anarobic cardio inline with getting fit for TKD sparring mantra.

Im currently working on a routine for TKDist's you can find the thread under the TKD section, its going to be a slow work in progress but when its done I think it will be great, the main focus is Legs,Flexibility and Core.

Ok im off to the gym now, got a few hours to put in, one hour in the gym itself 1 hour of TKD and bag work.

Raz

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Back, ran a mile
    First time in a while I picked up some weights,
    8 reps of 10kg per arm bicep curl*3
    3*1 min plank,
    3*20 elevated leg raises
    4*15 Front Squats

The I went into the bag area of the gym and there was some guy doing some MMA on the bags which was kind of cool we had a chat etc,
    I did some patterns, then some combo's on the bag for a while.
    Some stretching also, Anyway 2 hours later im back :)

Raz

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Po Eun is one of TKD's best patterns IMO, I could do it forever and not get bored :D

I know people rave about Mr Suska and he is clearly an exceptional individual, but I'm not a fan of his style of patterns. Where's the hip movement? Why does each move take so long to perform? Why do the hands move around so much between each movement?

Here's one which also has things in it which I personally disagree with, but which at least has snappy techniques. Just as an alternative :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QxI-VoFLEA"]Taekwon-Do patterns Kwnag -Gae - YouTube[/ame]

Mitch

5. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I think Po-Eun is easy in the sense I'm not bothering with it un-till I get the other 2 nailed.

Suska's hip movement is lacking at times, again I think he is a victim of being tuned to competition points. Though his flexibility is really good so I let it slide.

This guy (the one you posted) is a bit rigid imo, and his footwork moves 23 onwards is a bit unusual to me,

The part before doing the slow motion high finger tip thrust.

But yea,

Raz

6. Mitch

Competition should follow the definitions of the art, no? :)

I agree on the rigidity, but why is his footwork unusual?

He also manages to make his hands go from one move to the next without intermediary waving :D

Mitch

7. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

K I need to check ye old Encyclopdia but my 8th dan instructor said that, on the move 24-25 your feet shouldnt leave the ground.

Its not a step its more a shuffle. just from looking at Master O'Niels book it seems he writes the same.

Also on move 2 the upset punch, this move (dwijibo jirugi) is a close range attack, your not supposed to move your arms all the wait out and back like he does.

Raz

8. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Also..
    On move 1, the right hand should be clasped by the left it looks like this guy is almost using prayer hands but it could be bad picture.

9. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Also

whats the guy doing with his hands when he kicks?
    Raz

10. Mitch

I agree with what you're saying :) I'm not posting it as an example of a perfect pattern, just as an example of a different approach, which has some good aspects IMO :)

Mitch

11. Mitch

Yep, agree on that. I think many of his moves are bigger, more emphasized, presumably for competition purposes.

I think he clasps it.
    This was fairly common and still is with some practicioners, throwing the leading arm forward when side kicking (I guess that's what you're referring to?)

Mitch

12. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Sorry I just woke up and was like.. thats not right, thats not right, thats not right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjh9DrIVbc"]1st Dan - Kwang-Gae - General Choi - 1998 Seminar - ITF Taekwon-do - YouTube[/ame]

The first 1:10 is the pattern, the rest is Gen Choi telling him whats he's doing wrong.

Raz

13. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I meant that when he does the whats supposed to be middle side kick though people have an obsession with kicking higher, his hands should maintain the knife hand position at the bottom like our guy does here.

Raz

14. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

08 Aug 12

Much of a lazy day has been had, have spent 90% of the day at the screen or reading books but its been productive.

I have a had a few different discussions with varying individuals. Designing a fitness programme for TKD specifically is coming on thanks to Jeff.

I have a more generic programme im going to work on this week until we have something nailed down:

Now that I have my arms back (my shoulder on the right was injured)
    Im going to spend Sunday on the arms,gentle though ofc:

Warm Up/Dynamic Stretches- 30 second is the standard rest time in here so I wont re-type it.

Cuban Press 2 Sets of 12 –
    Dumb bell squat: 2 sets of 12
    Two Points box, 2 sets of 10 on each side
    Static Gym Ball press up: 2 sets of 10
    Side Plank: 1 min each side
    Hanging Leg Raises: 2 sets of 30

Warm Down/Stretch

Raz

15. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

You know when you wake up and think..... ugh the gym..will go about 11 am.
    Reading all the great threads in stretching, there is so much content in there!

Someone posted this on one of the first threads I read here, watch it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PLL197yLvo"]Floyd Mayweather - How Bad Do You Want Success? (Speech) - YouTube[/ame]

16. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Ok I shall right this both here any my log ^_^

I liked the rowing exercise it was good and I can see it being effectively used on the treadmill and the bike as well as the bag. Just going flat out for x minutes with the rest and over weeks building up for more and more.

Today

1 Mile warm up run-

Some Dynamic stretches

Then the rower as
    Each sitting was 2 minutes long with a 1 minute rest between attempts.
    Sit 1: 536m
    Sit 2: 541m
    Sit 3: 511m
    Sit 4: 446m

Some Isometric streteches, and that was pretty much it for today.

Photo taken just after it should be mentioned that the rower was a kinetic one, so it kept going for a a bit after you stop.

[​IMG]

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Pre Gym-Cycled 3 miles.

Gym:

Warmed up by running a mile, then sprinted half a mile on speed 17.

2 sets of 12 cuban press 10kg
    Weighted press ups, 8*2
    Pull ups.. I managed 5 I feel weak.
    Press ups 30

I then did some stretching Im getting there in terms of the splits. Ran through some TaeKwon-Do patterns, then called it a night.

Raz

18. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Not doing anything during the day today, me getting to TaeKwon-Do tonight depends what time I finish work >.<

If I don't go I will go to the gym.

Raz

19. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I have been mucho lazy.

No gym in the past 3 days... just with working late shifts I have no energy for it.

I know this is an excuse and I have no real justification for my lazyness.

Will go to the gym tonight.

Raz

20. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Went to the gym, ran a mile

Did the rowing thing again.

516 was my lowest m/2 minute.
    Also this time I put the resistance on the highest setting and I will keep that standard from now on. Tomorrow I have a 6 hour seminar of TKD which im looking forward to.

Raz