rape prevention, i could be wrong

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by brahman, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

Yes, I believe learning some basic groundfighting will help you if you're ever in a rape situation.
    First of all, I have little faith in techniques such as eyegouges, in particular. Even strikes in general are pretty ineffective when done from a bottom position.
    I'm not intimately familiar with rapists, but having grappled with buddies who have no skill, the first thing they all do is try to control my arms, when I've got them in closed guard.
    I assume a rapist would do much the same, presuming he's already spread your legs and gotten between them (which is essentially the guard position in submission wrestling).
    From guard you have a variety of moves you can perform, but in this case I'd specifically advocate teaching the armbar.
    http://bjj.org/techniques/bjjfighter/gi/guard/armbar/
    As you can see, if he happens to be stretching your arms up over your head, he's already given you his arm for free. Shoot your hips and break it.

Acidrain - You claim BJJ isn't brutal enough. Personally, I don't think you've trained it at all. Very few submissions are based on pain. They will either break your joints, or choke you to unconciousness (shortly followed by death).

There's obviously a lot of sweeps and submissions you can perform from various forms of the guard, but I don't see a point in going over the top for a short rape prevention seminar, or something such as that.
    Case in point, having some basic submission wrestling skills will be very useful a rape attempt ever gets as far as you ending up on the ground.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  2. migo

migo New Member

Mace is stupid, it'll blow back in your face, and dog isn't a good idea unless you're experienced in training and taking care of them, just buy a dog without knowing what you're doing and it might attack you. Loud thing isn't a bad idea. So, I'll just go ahead and say you're shortsighted since you didn't think out what you just said, but it does seem borderline stupid....

3. migo

migo New Member

No 100% guarantee on that, some people take hits to the nuts and don't react, or they react half an hour to an hour later, that'd especially be the case when the guy is on drugs. Always good to have a backup plan, or 10.

That mentality is like only taking T3s when you have a migraine instead of trying to prevent it in the first place. If you understand the motivation of a rapist it might help you see it coming and avoid the situation in the first place instead of only being able to work in the worst case scenario.

Also, great post Mjelva

4. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

is everyone who reads my post retarded or just plain stupid. I SAID IT TO GET US BACK ON TRACK, YOU DUMB, ASS, STUPID @#$, b#@$h.

i cant believe you were dumb enough to take that post seriously.

5. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

oh, and aparently, it worked. :eek:

6. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

Goodbye

7. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

oh well, i dont care.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

dont let the door hit your ass on the way out sunshine

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

brahman IS wrong

10. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

Who would have thought. Back on track:

[​IMG]

Hapesafe!

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

well if it's endorsed by Rene "Lethal Weapon" Russo then it must be da bomb ;)

12. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

She's hot for her age.
    I'll take her word on it.

13. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Hardly. You can get all theoretical about the deep-seated inner reasons why men rape. Frankly, you'll never know. Heck, prison psychiatrists have these guys around for years and they can't tell you why. Better to spend your time as a self defenser learning to understand what they are trying to do, how to recognize it and how to stop it. Leave the psychoanalysis to the people who spend years in grad or medical school learning how to do it.

14. migo

migo New Member

I swear remember you saying that rape is about anger and power a while back...

15. migo

migo New Member

Hapesafe, funny :D Can't avoid thinking Hene Husso either.

From the previews I've seen of both this one and the empowering women dvd, I like the other one a bit better, seemed like they were less static, but you can't tell a whole lot from limited promo clips.

16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

It is about anger and power, that's an outcome, why they need to rape to have that power and what makes them angry is another story. It's not one dimensional, every rapist is different just like every victim is different , just like every human being is different.

17. migo

migo New Member

So, you know for certain that it's about anger and power yet psychiatrists don't have a clue?

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Nope. I said it was about any number of things of which anger and power were only two.