Rape Culture

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

https://medium.com/human-parts/a-gentlemens-guide-to-rape-culture-7fc86c50dc4c

Good article, and I agree with it all. This part just annoys the hell out me though:

"You are part of rape culture because you are a man".

I get it and accept it, but it's still annoying.

Prime example of this was the girls who were raped and hung in India. Really hit it home for me.

Anyway, have a read, the guy is basically saying "white knight as much as you can but don't call it that because you're not trying to score points" which I also agree with.

2. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Have to say I disagree.

Rape is horrible, but saying you are perpetuating rape culture because you are a man, and your attitude does that is just plain wrong.

I hate femi nazi trash like this. People should be judged as individuals, not due to their sex.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Dude is also saying that he gets involved every time he sees and man and a woman having an argument - as well intentioned as that sentiment is, I hope we all know that it's a bad idea.

4. holyheadjch

I agree with some of what he's saying - it's basically just reiterating the argument about white, male privilege.

I don't agree that I'm part of the problem though - since that implies I am doing something wrong, which I'm not.

5. Pretty In Pink

The self defence "expert" in me screamed quietly inside when I read that.

6. robin101

Haveing read the article and looked at his twitter page, I think he is a feminist sychofant. He thinks that if he adopts the extreme feminist point of view, people will see him as deep, and self effacing, and morally upright, and not what he really is. Which is a word i cannot post here.

I know alot of people like this.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

However well intentioned he might be he is in fact coming across as a self righteous ****

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  8. holyheadjch

The article isn't particularly extreme and most of his arguments are sound. What exactly are your problems with it?

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah man, I'm not really buying this article too much.

I accept we men should try to make lone women feel less vulnerable in our presence. Hell, I'd say most decent blokes do that automatically.

But saying that I'm a man and therefore by default belong to a culture that blames the victim, trivialises sexual assault, pressurises men to "score", etc etc is just plain wrong. To say I'm part of it implies I take an active role in it, or passively neglect to voice my objection to it. That couldn't be further from the truth. A fair percentage of my time is spent fighting this crap.

I've noticed self-righteous aggressive feminist articles like this springing up all over the place after that weird lookin' virgin went around shooting up half of Cali'.

10. holyheadjch

Yeah and this is where men start getting defensive and I think a lot of it is due to the way it gets worded.

I am part of a rape culture, in that I exist within a culture where rape is a serious problem. But I can only be said to be contributing to it in so far as my actions make it worse, no matter the intent of those actions.

I am sure that at some point, I've made a woman feel uncomfortable or afraid, if only by my presence on a poorly lit street late at night. I just reject the idea that by being there, I am guilty of anything.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, there has been a bit of a brush fire for misandrist view points in some cases. A misandrist is the woman equivalent for misogynist, and that's how I see some of these arguments and highlight points. I never really understand these kinds of positions, like it's the only thing life is about and it consumes us all every waking moment.

Anywho, that dude in Cali' was a complete ****. There's no amount of "we need to change society because women are discriminated against!" arguments that would have changed this nutter.

Edit: My commentary isn't necessarily from the article posted by the OP, but stuff I've been seeing on social media and the news recently.

12. Hannibal

His "manifesto" video was so aggressively narcissistic I cannot believe he passed a psych evaluation

13. Pretty In Pink

Post it please? :D

14. Hannibal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6NKHtLzks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6NKHtLzks[/ame]

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I like this article but I had some issues with it.

In certain places I feel like it tries to use more sensationalist rhetoric than is actually warranted. Granted if the message is being sent by a woman I don't really think it is appropriate to tell her how she should feel about the subject but the author is male and I was expecting a more "accessible" tone.

There is a balance that kind of needs to be struck.

On the one hand I think there is definitely a duty to educate, and make that process accommodating, IF the person in question has taken rape culture to be something which they want to fight.

On the other hand there is so much that has been written and researched about this that it can get extraordinarily tiring to explain really basic stuff and clear up misgivings again and again when the topic has been done to death, so when people roll their eyes at people who are basically asking "have you tried turning it off and on again" I have a lot of sympathy when they just tell these people to go read more. Kind of similar to the generally reaction MAP gives to people who insist the "sport-fighting will never train you for the street" and act like no one has thought of this problem before.

EDIT: Called it! People are already upset about the tone.

16. robin101

i refer you to my previous comment. I know right? Geesh

17. Ero-Sennin

I don't think you realized Hannibal was talking about the guy in California who went out and murdered a bunch of people because he couldn't get laid. Unless ":D" means something different for you. :p

18. robin101

My problem with it, is that it perpetuates the image of a man as an animal always in danger of raping someone, or letting someone get raped, and women as defenceless waifs waiting to be raped.

If I am a part of rape culture just by being a man, then women are part of it too just by being women , because they are in a relationship with a man, and he is a part of rape culture, or because she doesnt actively try to change the culture she is in.

Mans a prat

19. Hannibal

His basic premise is akin to saying Iif you have a car you are involved in drunk driving culture"

He's an idiot

I have already raped everybody I want to

That's "no one" in case someone misses the point

20. Ero-Sennin

How is the helping to work against "rape culture?" I don't think I've ever gotten into an argument with a woman and thought afterwards or during, "she's real lucky I'm a decent guy, cause' I would rape her for raising her voice to me." :dunno: