Randy Couture vs Georges St Pierre

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by The Decay of Meaning, Mar 15, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Interesting fight 1: Randy Couture vs Georges St Pierre

IIRC GSP weighs around 190-ish when not preparing for a fight. He could easily walk up to 205.

How would Randy and GSP go against each other? What would the match look like?

In many respects, they are quite similar: Both are great wrestlers, both like to control the fight using wrestling. Both of them also has great cardio.

Randy has great boxing skills but GSP is a little more versatile: Spinning back kicks, superman punches, inside leg kicks, roundhouse kicks, etc.

So what do you think Randy's gameplan would look like, and what about GSP's gameplan?

I don't think GSP would be able to take Randy down, but would Randy be able to keep GSP pressed up in the cage?

Who would have the advantage in this fight?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Dude.

GSP fights at 170. Randy fights at 205. Randy would kill him.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

wow.. that' would be an interesting match up. I would love to pic GSP. Hard to say about gameplans as they seem quite well matched. I pick GSP because of age and he has a bit more up his sleeve and has a bit more flair. Gotta love Randy, but GSP is one of my favourite fighters. Up there with Anderson Silva and Machida.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Is this happening or hypothetical ?

5. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Only hypotethical. But the thing is, GSP talked recently in an interview about how he wanted to end the fight with Dan Hardy in a spectacular way, can't wait to get over with the fight, and he is looking to move on and begin on his next chapter in life. In other words he has some other plans.

That could be wrestling in the olympics, or that could be moving up to 185 or 205. 185 is most likely but who knows.

Again he walks around like 190 when not preparing for a fight, and what's more, in the interview he mentioned he has gone up 8 pounds in pretty much pure muscle the past few months.

If the 190-figure is correct, off-season he should weigh about 198. If he dehydrates himself and use laxatives to get down to 170, he can add about 7-8 pounds. Which means he is 205.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Right. So Randy fights at 205 and probably walks around at 225-230. He's probably 235 in his off season. So GSP would need to put on around 10 pounds. These guys would be starting off with a 30 lb weight difference. Randy would be so much bigger than GSP - if he got him clinched or on the ground, it would be over for that guy.

7. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Weight classes were created for a reason. I remember the first time I sparred (boxing) with someone who outweighed me by a lot. Yes skill can overcome, but all else being equal the bigger guy has a big advantage.

8. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Ok generally I think superfights are dumb unless its obvious the lighter guy can move up in weight with ease. But GSP might have a chance in this.

Randy is 46 and still aging. YES I KNOW HE'S A MUTANT WHO HAS STAYED COMPETITIVE AT AN OLD AGE. But he's still old man. He's not immortal so give GSP some time to move up in weight and maybe Couture will actually age enough to lose that step GSP would need to win.