Random food thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Cold custard with something hot and hot custard with something cold always works well. On it's own, take your pick. It's good either way, but I think the flavour is slightly superior when it's cold.

Baked beans taste best when they've been heated up and then cooled down again. On their own I'd have them cold, but eaten as part of a meal they tend to be nicer hot. (The manufacturers always advise not boiling them, but they actually taste better if you boil the hell out of them. And it thickens the sauce. Thin sauce on beans is unacceptable.)

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I thought I was the only one who thought that. I've suffered a lot of abuse for my "mad" idea over the years.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Is that why you moved to Finland?

4. Bozza Bostik

Yes. I was ostrazised by my family and village. Things came to a head when local chefs caught me eating some hot apple pie and cold custard in the forest late at night. I had to flee the country. I'd heard Finns eat weird desserts (see below) so I thought I'd be better off and safe here.

about 90 seconds is enough.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DidbyCKZUfc"]Mämmi- A traditional Finnish food for Easter -is it solid beer/Guinness on a plate? - YouTube[/ame]

but yeah, Hot sauces and cold desserts or cold sauces and warm desserts.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:rolleyes: Insanity.

:rolleyes: Insanity. Burgers must be at least warm.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Here's a question. I eat scrambled egg on toast as actual toast with my hands instead of using a knife and fork. Does that make me as weird as my parents make out?

And to add my own: Pasta hot or cold?

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yes, yes it does.

Hmm...tough one.

I'd probably go with cold though.

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hot, hot, hot.

9. John Titchen

Yes. It probably also means you're over-scrambling the eggs. :cool:

Either, so long as it has already been heated and cooled. Heated then cooled then heated again is best though. It's a carb thing. :evil:

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I tend to eat the bulk of the egg with a fork then pick up the egg covered toast and eat it.
    I like pasta either way.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Tasty. Hot or mild doesnt matter

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Peanut butter sandwiches, with black currant jelly or not?

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I tried eat without.
    was sooo dry

Felt like i was crapping out tree bark once it digested. definitely with jam for lubricant.

also im unsure if i can use that special word you taught me. against TOS?

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Definitely against TOS :D

Try peanut butter sandwich with a large sprinkling of salt.

Mitch

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

aww grossss. saltier nut butter

my aunt used to eat lemon achar (indian salty masala pickle stuff) with nutella in a sandwich for breakfast. horrible

16. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

For the leftover pizza, Cold. Whoever says otherwise is wrong. :p

Curry, had this phal (sp) the other day... Wow... the intensity was just so high that my pee burned for the first two pees in the morning. However, ever since I ate a raw Scorpion moruga butch t or whatever (I have some seeds and they will be deadly once I grow them) I never got that "passing the sun" feeling in the morning bowel movements. But really hot is how I usually like them.

Btw, has anyone tried to plant chillies indoor?

I had this amazing scotch bonnet curry some time ago... It was very hot but the taste is so nice... almost like butter... damn...

As for custard, Cold
    And the beans, cold if i am feeling lazy, hot if I want a proper breakfast... before I began having smoothies for breakfast...

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Definitely with jam. Though I generally avoid peanut butter in sandwiches as for some disgusting reason, most people I know who make peanut butter sandwiches always add a layer of butter on the bottom before adding the peanut butter for a double butter effect. Yick.

18. John Titchen

Butter the bread then add the peanut butter - should be moist enough then without the jam. I find adding jam makes the whole thing just too sweet. I use a savoury low sugar brand.

PS It has to be crunchy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  19. Bozza Bostik

Peanut butter is food of the devil. It's foul, ungodly stuff. Always hated it. Almond butter on the other hand....

I wonder if I don't like peanut butter because I don't like peanuts. :dunno:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Peanut butter sarnies with any kind of fruit jelly are good. Peanut butter sarnies with sweet pickle are also good. And peanut butter and banana sarnies are great, especially when you need a humungous amount of energy. And you can add a little jam or jelly to them too!