Raid 2 Actors Fight for Fans at Canceled SXSW Premiere (IGN)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Unreal Combat, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Silat is a close cousin to FMA. But it's generally Indonesian. Bersilat is the term in Malaysia, I believe (though I'm not an expert). There's a lot of crossover, and plenty of silat to be found in the Philippines. The south in particular. Plus related arts, like kuntao, which bridge that gap as well.

More to the point, the Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian, as well as the dozens of mooks they collectively annihilate in those movies, are all Indonesian.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I watched Dredd for the second time last night. And while I understand each of the words you typed here individually, I can't work out what they're doing together in a sentence.

Dredd was fine. But the action choreography was a bit dull for me. And if the plot in both cases is really there to provide a loose framework for cinematic violence, that action better carry its weight. In my view, The Raid's action scenes do. Dredd's action scenes were serviceable, but no comparison.

Just my opinion though.

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I would just like to go on record to say that the world needs more Yayan Ruhian. Thank you, good night.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In my defence the only thing other than the Raid that I've seen to do with silat was Fight Quest and they went to the Philippines for that.

5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Lol they are the exact same movie that's why the words are in the same sentence. :woo:

Baza

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No defense needed, my friend. There's silat in the PI. Shooto would tell you if he were here. But if you were forced to identify "the origin" of silat, the correct answer would be Indonesia.

Or answer to this guy:

[​IMG]

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah dude, I get that. It was a joke.

8. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I saw the first one, it was cool, what country is it from?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Indonesia

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Indonesia and Malaysia both lay claim to silat; so close, but no cigar. Although I get the feeling that there is a lot of overlap and, for lack of a better word, sharing. I don't study either though, other people might know more about this.

Edit: oops, that'll show me for not reading a whole page of responses :p.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm stealing that line, and I'm going to use it myself in the future! :happy:

And for the record, "Raid" is a most excellent kung-fu movie!!!! I know we have reviews of it on MAP, for those who haven't seen it.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

All yours, my friend. Enjoy. ;)

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was at a special screening tonight. Complete with Q and A session.

Man this film is violent.

And I got a pose down with Mad Dog and yes they did a quicky fight choreo.

14. Mushroom

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Jealous! Can you share the picture?

16. Mushroom

Trying to.. its on my phone and for some reason wont load up.

17. Mushroom

Here we go..

Attached Files:

18. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Indonesia and Malaysia...

WHOOPS posted the above before realising I was not on the last page of posts... Oh well...Happy April 2nd :)

19. Mushroom

Further on the Q&A (sorry was going to mention earlier but busy at work)

Topics mentioned in the Q&A:

The Director (Gareth) nearly died on set, a stunt car was supposed to tip over and swing around. But it didn't tip over all the way and carried on skidding along and going straight for him. Thankfully there was an actual stunt driver inside, and was able to somehow veer the vehicle away.
    He was missed by 5ft-6ft.

Director on fight scenes:
    It took, on average 10 days to film a 1-on-1 fight scene. 5 days to film as much as possible, 1 day rest, 4 days of further filming. At around 12-14hrs a day.
    1-on-1 was more difficult to film, as it needs rythm between the 2, a bit of back and forth to keep the audience enthralled.
    Group fights are easier, because its essentially 1-on-1 fights that lasts only 1 set of (cool) looking moves.

Iko (Rama) and Yayan (Mad Dog) were asked what were their favourite moves.
    Iko demonstrated a upset spinning round kick. (sorry I missed the video)
    Yayan interestingly demo'd a Iron Shirt Technique and took a kick to his back.

http://youtu.be/zbLN--yTxCU
    Gareth on possible Raid3. In the works, however will be filiming something else at the moment.
    Loosely based on the MMA fighter who did the biggest robbery in England.
    (mod: guess who THAT could be?? ;p)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Saw the Raid 2 last Friday. What a blast. Anyone who loves action/martial arts movies HAS to see it. The fights and killing methods are so ridiculously over the top. The whole theater were laughing their butts off the entire time.