Radiohead new album - you decide the price!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ad McG, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The new Radiohead album is coming out in 10 days available for download and the price section is blank. They have confirmed that YOU can decide how much you want to pay for it.

There is also a 2 CD, 2 vinyl set with a load of art work coming out Dec 3rd for £40.

Thoughts on this?

Personally I'm excited about the album and excited about defining the price myself. I don't pay for downloaded music, the only music I pay for is in a physical format like CD so I very much appreciate this choice and will be paying for it.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I do not think people should be payed for making music. Its something people enjoy doing.

3. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

yeah but if you're good enough that people are willing to pay to hear you why not
    this is the first I've heard about the album looking forward to it thought
    how much are you gonna pay do you think?

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

*runs out to look for the:

'beat him about the head and face with a brickbat' smiley.

What an incredibly daft way to look at things.:bang:

5. slipthejab

Not sure I'm getting what you're saying....

So if you downloaded an album via the net you wouldn't pay for it? Yet if you bought the same album on CD you would?! :confused:

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I think he's saying that he's opposed to paying via things like iTunes etc since he doesn't get the physical media and as such, chooses to buy the CD instead. Something I agree with, incidentally
    So because someone enjoys doing something, they shouldn't make money from it? Does that mean everyone should hate their jobs?
    Aside from the fact that it's a nightmare trying to hold down a job (if you CAN hold down a job) while touring and gigging regularly, think about how many other people make money off of music; from record stores, to DJ's, venue owners to the suits at your friendly neighbourhood record label - why SHOULDN'T the artist make money off it? The only thing I object to is that the artists generally get such a small cut

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The musicians don't get much of the money from album sales. They make there money through gigs.

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

;)

9. slipthejab

Ok I see where you're coming from... but it then leads me to ask the question..
    so the music is somehow worth less because it's not on a CD? :confused:
    A bit of plastic and and a paper case make the music??

What happens when the day comes that all music is not on CD's anymore? :confused:
    Would you guys consider it justified to just download it without paying for it? :confused:

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The music's not, no, but given the choice between having a series of zeroes and ones stored on my PC and having a hard copy of it, I'll take the hard copy every time.
    Not the music itself, but aside from the permanent (well, as permanent as can be, at least) copy of it safeguarding against HD crashes/ some crap going down with DRM etc, there's something "special" to me about buying a CD that you just don't get with a download. It's part of the whole "package" of the music, not just the music itself. I like walking into my room and seeing the couple of thousand CD's filling up the shelving, the piles of them on my desk, the overflowing racks etc. I even like (in a largely masochistic way) packing them all up when I move!
    It's largely a nostalgia and aesthetic thing, especially since most of them are on my PC anyway to go on my MP3 player and car stereo, but I'm still not paying for iTunes or anything like that all the time I can walk into a shop and walk out with the hard copy
    I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
    No

11. slipthejab

Ok.... got ya. Understandable.

12. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Sorry for being dumb, but is the radiohead album available on CD

13. slipthejab

oh hell... now you've done it... you've really complicated the situation.
    sheesh!

:p

14. Humblebee

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

15. Ad McG

I prefer buying a CD that I can keep in a collection with a cover and art work etc. rather than something I could lose if my hard drive crashes that is of poor quality. Most itunes mp3s are pretty dire from the selection I've heard and the price is daft. I do download music but I often buy CDs if they are at a reasonable price.

I highly doubt that hard copies of any media will be totally gone in the future, there are too many people who still buy them at the moment. They also make great gifts for many which you can't really replace with a download.

16. Humblebee

Just read on myspace that Nigel Goodridge has announced that In Rainbows will be available on CD early next year. :)

17. Ad McG

And for that reason I haven't paid for it. I will definitely buy the CD though, I've given it a few listens and it's really growing on me. It's not OK Computer but what is? :)

18. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

From what I have heard you can download the album for a minimum contribution of 45p which is the cut that the money handler thing (think paypal) takes. The other option is to buy the limited edition cd with extra tracks (I think), artworks etc for £40.

19. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

so you think that people can only make money doing things that they hate, and people shouldent be able to enjoy there jobs, or turn hobbies they enjoy into a career?

i think its worse that the people who will get the majority of the money for that album will have had nothing to do with it musicaly. it would be a good thing if those who created the music got more money from it

20. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

I teach kung fu for a living and there is nothing better than to be paid to do what you love.

My best friend is a very talented singer should be paid for the music she creates.