R.A salvatore, excellent author, reccomend

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by BoxBabaX, Dec 13, 2004.

1. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

I would highly reccomend this guy, especially in you're into fantasy novels / fiction.

His drizzt saga is truly amazing. start with the Dark elf trilogy

3 books, about 300 pages each, i read all 3 in 2 days, really great stuff.

anyone else read any of his stuff?

2. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

The dark elf trilogy is a masterpiece.

The icewind dale trilogy is bad to average..

All of the other Drizzt novels (and i've read quite a lot of those) are pure rubbish. Like a soap opera with dwarves , warriors and sorceres.

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

u didnt like the hunters blade trilogy? TT?

4. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

A friend of mine just let me borrow the 1,00 orcs and it is the first Salvatore book I've read. I'm just in the beggining, but it's really impressive.

5. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

nice, thats the first book in the hunters blade trilogy :D

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Ive read the Icewind dale and the Dark elf trilogy but not the Hunters blade cheers for the heads up.

7. masteryoursoul

masteryoursoul New Member

Demon Wars

I highly recommend the Demon Wars sage and the second Demonwars saga, all tied in together. 7 books in total, most atleast 400 pages long. I regard it highly as one of his most elaborate tales, placed in an original setting.

8. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Brother you hit it on the head straight!!! He got way too political and enviromental after "Dark Elf" blew the whole premisis and his quality as an author for me.

9. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

No I stopped at the Legacy of the Drow. I read all four books and then meditated for 2 months to clear my head of this crap.

I wouldn't consider buying any more of his books because as i said it has become a soap opera with Drizzt being the big star.

What's your opinion on the Hunters blade trilogy and how does it compare to the earlier novels?

10. Capricorn

Capricorn New Member

Ive never read a book be Salvatore that I didnt like (and ive read about 20 of them)

Ive just started reading 'demon awakens' which is also excellent (thought not part of the forgotten realms franchise) im going to start on the Elminster books once ive finished this series.

His books have never come accross as soap opera to me, but I guess we are all different :0)

I used to love david eddings, right up untill he kept repeating the same story but set in a different place with different people (but all the same personalities) The Belgariad and Mallorean where master peices, the spawhawk series was okayish, but was essensialy the same story again, 'the losers' (none fantasy) was also pretty good too, its a pity his writing hasnt continued to improve rather than getting worse.

11. Highkick

Highkick Banned Banned

I've read them all and loved them all

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

My favorite was the Fallen Fortress, in the Cleric Quintet. That book was just one long, blood-soaked fight scene ^_^. I swear, those six guys or whatever took out an army.
    I do highly recomend the Cleric Quintet... they were fun reads.

13. dashao

dashao New Member

thumbs up for darkelf trilogy i really enjoyed it.
    just started the clerical quintet it is shaping up to be just as good.

14. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

I absolutely adore Salvatore's work. I enjoyed the time and effort that he put into the Drizzt saga. However...
    I am also a Star Wars fan. And when I found out that he was the one writing the first book of the New Jedi Order series, I flipped out. The book was tremendous. He created the Yuuhzan Vong, and turned them into a rather incredible force, with a lot of detail on their character and culture. He kept very true to the characters of the series. He had the balls to do what any other author wouldn't have. He killed Chewbacca, which had the end result of making this new threat seem all the more real and dangerous in the eyes of the reader. At first, you wouldn't take the threat seriously, because, after all, we have Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Mara, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin to beat it up. Oh, wait...no we don't anymore.
    Masterful writer.

15. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

I've read the dark elf trilogy, and the icewind dale trilogy. I really liked them, but right now I don't have the next set. I'm kind of wary of long series' of books, the soap opera thing again.

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I loved his books, but yes some are good, some are bad. The Hunters Blade is alot better than Icewind Dale methinks.

Anyways, read "War of the Spider Queen" series. It's ALL about Dark Elves, and the silence of Lloth (she went "away" won't spoil anything).

You will LOVE it. It's all from Salvatore's head, btw.