Quick healthy breakfast

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Hi all,

I am working 60 hour weeks at the moment, and my morning routine involves getting up at 6am for a jog before I shower and leave for work.

I guess the answer is that I should get up even earlier, but us there any kind of quick, healthy breakfast bar or something similar that isn't chock full of sugar? Something I can just grab and go with?

2. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Breakfast bars never seem to be particularly healthy, do they?

Personally, I would be tempted to make a big veggie frittata at the start of the week and have a slice every day. Or you could hard-boil a few eggs and have one or two a day, with a banana and a yoghurt, or a handful of nuts?

Or maybe make your own healthy bars at the beginning of the week?

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Not difficult.

Fruit
    Berries
    Nuts
    yoghurt
    Quark
    cold meats
    Eggs

Mix and match and prepare the night before if need be.

Or, as Ros said, make something like frittata or normal omelette and eat it through the week.

Oooorr...sod it and just go to McD's on the way to work. :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Leave some porridge to soak in milk in the fridge overnight, heat it in the microwave early in the morning?

Fruit smoothie with a slice of toast maybe? Certainly when I don't feel I have time for breakfast I'll prep a smoothie the night before, give it a quick blitz in the morning, drink it and go.

5. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Leftovers from dinner?

6. Bozza Bostik

I really love banana and/or mango with coconut milk for breaky. Not sure if that's a smoothie or not, but I love 'em, me.

7. LemonSloth

That sounds gorgeous, I've gotta give that a go next time I go shopping.

I'd still call it a smoothie :).

8. Bozza Bostik

Really adictive. Makes me want to go vegan. when I have them, I like to put an umbrella in it and put on some sounds of waves breaking against a shore and pretend I am somewhere exotic....like Brighton.

I saw a butternut squash porridge recipe on the internet I might try one day.

butternut squash cooked and mashed
    coconut milk
    bit of apple
    some flavourings...maybe cinnamon.

Wouldnt mind giving that a try.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You need a pan to stir itself whilst you're in the shower. Don't know whether those quick porriges are as good for you but it's an option? one thing I always laugh about was a Tunisian coach driver pinched hard boiled eggs & oranges from the breakfast buffet. Started doing it myself. Great ready foods in handy storage containers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  10. ned

ned Valued Member

Porridge cooked in microwave-oats and milk(or water if you're scottish/puritan)
    in a bowl,takes about 2mins.I like to sweeten with honey.
    Added bonus of no pan to wash up :)

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Do your meals backwards?
    As in the night before, make more dinner and keep it for breakfast the next day. microwave it and eat.

then take what you normally eat for breakfast to lunch.

12. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Quinoa almond milk and berries my wife and I cook up a batch of quinoa fit the week. A quick shot on the microwave and voila!

13. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Yeah I was thinking more about something I could literally eat on the go. Had an idea though...

14. Bozza Bostik

Stick things in boxes of some sort.

I often do that, go to work, then eat it when I arrive.

15. LemonSloth

Make your own breakfast bars the night before? Really easy to make, really quick, surprisingly tasty and you can control exactly what you put in it.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i make a yogurt concoction every morning. yogurt, a serving of fruit, some nuts and some honey or syrup. very easy and quick to make and also very filling and full of carbs, protein and nutrients. keeps me pretty full until lunch time.

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I work in engineering and start very early in the morning and can't risk waking up my family (my wife can be a scary thing in the morning :)) and I can be to lazy to prepare the night before so I personally buy a few bags of nuts and dried fruit/berries and a tub of natural yoghurt at the start of the week and have that in the mornings.

Love Macdonalds muffins through, big battle to drive past the drive-through some mornings.

18. Bozza Bostik

Can't beat it. Prefer Greek yoghurt myself...with a bit of honey.

Don't think I've ever had one.

This is my ultimate breakfast of choice. A rullakebab. Doner kebab in unleavened bread with some salad, about 20 - 30 cms long. Nice with blue cheese. Good anytime of day or even for every meal of the day.

Attached Files:

19. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Love it, might have to sneakly add it to the shopping list. The rullakebab looks a little heavy for a breakfast for me, might be good on a hang over through :)

20. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I Often eat. 2 meals a day while at work. I try my very best to pack them the night before.

If I have to eat while in commute I lIke homemade nut butter and a banana or apple.