Questions regarding kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by The Decay of Meaning, Feb 27, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

First question: Where does the power from kicks come from? Is it from the hips?

I noticed I get much better leg kicks if I focus on throwing them from the hips and at the last moment focus on throwing them with the leg, like a whip. Is this the correct way to do it?

Second: Also, how do you get those powerful head kicks? Where is the power generated from?

I get a snapping head kick but not one of those who has all the power behind it.

Third question: What are the best exercises for improving leg flexibility, so you can throw leg kicks with ease?

Please enlighten me, thanks :)

2. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I can't answer question 1 or 2, but for question 3, you should read Van Zandts threads in the flexibility section. They will teach you all you need to know about gaining flexibility.

3. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

#1 - The power is generated from the hips.

#1a - No. The power is generated from the hips throughout the entire kick.

#2 - The power is generated from the hips.

#3 - Just practice kicking, but make sure you stretch your legs, hips, and lower back real well. There really isn't anything special to it...

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I like that a lot :)

In the style of TKD I practice, I'm fond of saying, "The answer's 'your hips,' now what's the question?"

mitch

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@TKDMitch: one day, you'll tell a female student that, and it'll turn out she only wanted to ask what you like about TKD :evil: