Questions About Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I tell you this, the first time I saw a Muay Thai fight, I was amazed and fell in love with it.

But my first love was Kickboxing, because when I was a young kid, me and my Dad used to watch Bloodsport and Kickboxer alot.

I want to one of them though.

Tell me more about Muay Thai and when Norm gets back I want to hear more about Kickboxing.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Both sound awesome. I wont know which one to choose.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I have so many questions to ask, it's not even funny. Well it sorta is. :D

But I love both.

So here's another question.

I know Muay Thai is a more complete system, so does that make Kickboxing obsolete, and not as good?

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Also are there any good books on Kickboxing and Muay Thai?

PS: Should I call it Muay Thai, Thai Kickboxing, or Thai Boxing? Or are they all allowed?

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no, theres nothing wrong with kickboxing. its a different sport. not everyone WANTS to get kneed in the guts, for some odd reason :D

muay thai, thai kickboxing, thai boxing- doesnt really matter what yo ucall it. only the most anal people would really care enough to force you to say muay thai.

I dont read books or watch instructional videos on muay thai, but at www.k-1fans.com they have plenty of videos on the forum.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I got more questions for both Muay Thai and Kickboxing.

About how long does it take before you learn enough to compete in your first match. That questions goes for both MA's.

Also in Muay Thai and Kickboxing, how can you win the matches?

Also for Muay Thai do you get used to getting kneed in the stomach and face and head. Also how do you recover from the blows.

8. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Ikken quick question how did you end up punching your Judo instructor in the face :confused: And you did Thai kickboxing and Judo at the same time! that must of been really physicall.

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I don't want to learn Muay Thai or Kickboxing through books, I want an actual teacher, I'm just saying are there any good books about them.

There's this place about half and hour away, they teach a whole bunch of martial arts and 2 of them are: Muay Thai and American Kickboxing.

But with the American Kickboxing, they say for it, they teach South Paw Style of American Kickboxing.

And the they teach straight up Muay Thai.

Here's the website.

http://www.activeedgefitness.com/html/martial_arts.html

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

one of the first times he grabbed and threw me, I hit him in the face. I of course apologised profusely, and he didnt seem to mind much. although he did slam me pretty damn hard for it ;)

depends entirely on you and your coach. my first trainer felt I was ready after a year, but circumstance meant I never got to fight. some people are ready earlier than that, some later.

As far as full contact goes there are a few ways to win- knockout of course, or by points. points are not given out by number of hits landed but by how well you did in that round, and a mark is given out of ten. the nitty gritty details of how you are marked out of ten tend to differ from one organisation to the next.

neck strengthening exercises should be part of your routine, and yes you get used to it.

edit- looking at the timetable on that site it would probably be worth doing both since they arent run on the same days. it doesnt say much about the coach, but he may just be new to teaching muay thai and hasnt got any fighters yet.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hey did you check out that website of the school by me?

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yes, i edited my reply ;)

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

At the school they teach South Paw Style American Kickboxing.

What is South Paw Style.

But I also like the Muay Thai program as well.

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

southpaw is a stance, meaning that your right hand is forward and your left hand is back

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I seriously can't choose I love both.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I like the simplicity of Kickboxing.

But I love the knees and elbows used in Muay Thai, along with the kicking.

Also is it true that Kickboxing Champions are scared to fight Muay Thai fighters?

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

a few americans tried it back in the 70s and eighties. none of them even fought at lumpinee i believe, or under full MT rules- and the majority of them got their asses kicked by unranked thais.

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I don't know which to do.

I like both very much.

Hey has a Kickboxer ever beaten a Muay Thai Boxer?

I'll be back at around 9:45 guys, I got to go to Hapkido now.

See ya later. :) :cool:

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

so do both? yeah, kickboxers have beaten muay thai fighters. but, its generally the exception, not the norm. they train for different sports.

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I won't be able to do both. Sadly I don't have that dough to throw around.

I like both martial arts so much.

Also in Kickboxing they were the Kickboxing pants, and in Muay Thai they wear the trunks right?