Questions About Huo Yuan Jia

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Obake, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Hello everyone, :)

I hope this is the right place to post this. I was wondering about the Chin Woo Athletic Association and its founders. I watched a Jet Li movie featuring Huo Yuan Jia, and I was interested in learning more about the historicity of it. What styles are taught at Chin Woo? What was Huo Yuan Jia's role in the foundation of Chin Woo, and what was his style?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Awesome! :)

Thank you for the link, Hannibal, and thank you for your responses on my other 3 threads as well (lol). Do you really train in Filipino martial arts, Jeet Kune Do, Kung Fu and Muay Thai? If so, that's awesome.

~Obake~

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Amongst other things yes :)

5. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Awesome article. It clears up a lot of the misconceptions about the movie. That article says that Chin Woo was Huo Yuan Jia's legacy, however, while I was told that he was only the co-founder. I'm confused.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Huo Yuan Jia was the driving force behind the Jing Wu Mun, however to create it he had to bring together various masters, so he was both creator and co-founder.

7. Obake

Obake Valued Member

I found this tidbit of information on Wikipedia:

Could anyone tell me more about Jie Tan Tui? What role does Huo Yuan Jia have in the Chin Woo curriculum?

8. Ben Gash CLF

He died the year it was founded, so not much. I'd imagine Jie Quan came from him as it's a Mizhong form, and maybe 5 tigers spear. The teaching of the system Mizhonglohanquan within Jing Wu schools is Huo's technical legay.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaILCwMf8s"]Jie Tan Tui (接潭腿) - YouTube[/ame]

9. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

10. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Thank you Butcher Wing, I will have to read it. :)

11. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

It an interesting little book. I have a copy in my collection.

12. Ben Gash CLF

It's been on my wishlist for a while. Kennedy's work is very good.