Question

Discussion in 'Judo' started by mystik, Mar 27, 2007.

1. mystik

mystik In for a challenge

Ok this is probably a really stupid question but what does Judo consist of? There are a few schools around me and I was just wondering

2. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Tachi-waza and ne-waza

Standing: A large variety of powerful throws, an assortment of less powerful takedowns, and a few armlocks and chokes.

Ground: Assortment of pins (osaekomi), many armlocks (mostly elbow, some shoulder), and a huge amount of chokes and strangles.

In general Judo focuses a majority of time on standing throws and a minority of time on ground fighting. The ratios vary from nearly 1:1 to 4:1 or more.

Judo is a competitive sport as well as an effective martial art and a premium is placed on developing skills that you can use against someone who is actively fighting you. To advance in rank it is generally necessary to demonstrate that you have these skills by doing well in competitions.

In judo shiai and randori (competition or in-house sparring) a win is gained by cleanly throwing someone upon his back, pinning for 25 seconds, or by submission via strangle or armlock.

Also, see www.judoinfo.com

3. mystik

so most of it is throwing?

4. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Armbars and setups for armbars.

5. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Awesomeness mainly.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D

7. mystik

how about street wise would any of it help in a street fight?

8. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Some of the throws you learned in Hwarangdo are the same in Judo, at least they were in Hapkido. But the volume of throws in much more. As for self defense, a throw on the concrete can be pretty devastating.

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

It's just a video game! :p

10. mystik

not street fighter a real life fight :p

11. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Yes, you learn some simple takedowns, i.e placing your leg behind another person and pushing them back, they fall on their butt. If you learned some throws, i.e where you dig yer hip into theirs and throw em over your shoulder.

Well, have you ever fallen 5-6feet onto the ground on yer back?

12. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Yeah, a lot. It beats falling the same height onto my head, which I've also tried.

13. Atharel

Atharel Errant

There was this girl (2nd kyu I think now?) at Judo who would always spike me on my head when doing morote seio-nage. After a while I'd let her throw me with something else just to avoid that!

14. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I used to train with this girl who was too short to put her foot on your chest when doing Tomoe-Nage, so instead would kick you in the balls. Oh how we laughed.

15. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I don't recall ever seeing someone put the foot on the chest. What kind of tomoe-nage are you doing?

16. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I know a fair few people who put their foot quite high on the torso, maybe the chest was the wrong word. Maybe not that high, around the stomach/diaphram area. Where do you put your foot when doing it, on the hip?

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I don't use tomoe-nage. I just drop, pass guard, and armbar people that do. :p

But yeah, hip or stomach area. Or the kick the the groin thing...