Question

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by robocoastie, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I agree although it is fun to be introduced to the mat in new and interesting ways.

:cool:

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I will play:

I train in iaido and jodo under the BKA/ZNKR - and both arts have modern (seitei) and old (koryu) elements. Both are trained equally (by me but some in the same org practice more seitei than koryu) and both are equally important IMHO (but for different reasons). However, seitei & koryu practice is a thread on its own, so I will leave this and instead, point your question at my kenjutsu:

I practice Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu kenjutsu under the 11th soke, Iwami Toshio Harukatsu. He is based in Kitakyushu, Japan. I am based in the West Midlands, England. I have trained for 11 years in HNIR kenjutsu, am monkasei and Iwami-soke's representative in the UK.

a) HNIR only practices HNIR.

b) I practice with my teacher whenever possible - when he travels to Europe to teach, and when I can, in Japan. When not training directly under him, I apply what I have learned from him from previous study under him, and try to improve my seiho until we see each other again (and he can kick the crap out of me again).

However, your (b) question really is asking how to learn without having a teacher.

You cannot. End of.

DVDs, books, Anime, YouTube, XMA, backyard study, fencing your idiot friends with shinai and hockey gloves. All a waste of time and good air.

3. beer_belly

beer_belly Valued Member

While I practice the modern ZNKR arts kendo / seitei iaido / seitei jodo - my koryu is SMR jodo which I do with a school that only practices SMR - this is a comprehensive koryu school that has various sets of jo kata and also incorporates a range of subsumed arts including kenjutsu, jutte, kusarigama, tanjo. It is a package - you train in whatever the senior says you are training in when you turn up. Normally the range of what you are allowed to train in grows with time - I started omote (first set jodo), then introduced to kenjutsu, then chuden (second set jodo) + ranai (third set jodo), then tanjo, then kage (fourth set jodo)..... so about half way through the curriculum now.

Sensei is in Tokyo - been training with him for 8 years - I try to go there at least once a year - I have been introduced to essentially each stage there, then come home and practice. I have seniors here in Australia that I try to travel to once a month and that helps with the ingraining of the new material. I cant deny that progress is slow compared to people with regular access to licenced instruction - but there is no substitute if I wish to do koryu - it has speeded up as my base of school specific knowlege has grown.

Due to the differences between lines of SMR books, dvds etc are not usually any use except as basic memory joggers - the only detailed help comes from my notes and video of Sensei as he demonstrated and explained each kata.

There is no point in practicing koryu from commercial or online materials without actually joining a specific school to get the framework.

4. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Might as well...Bored at work...As Steve (kindly) pointed out, I have already stated as much, but anyways...

I train in Takeuchi Ryu Kogusoku (not "kogosoke") Koshi no Mawari... Jujutsu..

a) It's sogo bujutsu...

b) I didn't have anything close to me in London, or I did, but nothing Koryu...So I moved location to somewhere a little more open for Koryu work..

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Sosuishi-ryu Kumiuchi koshi no mawari, Araki-ryu Kogusoku and Takeuchi-ryu Bichu-den.

Ditto for my answer.

I moved to Japan because there wasn't any koryu. Did a lot of judo on the side and after ten years, had to move back to the UK. I now run two dojo for koryu which I keep seperate. I advertise for one, but not for the other just yet.

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

robocoastie is quiet at the moment?

7. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

What I was getting at, though, is that Koryu does not equal weapons training, so discussing your experience in weaponry systems as a starting point for a Koryu discussion doesn't necessarily work. But to your questions....

I've been wondering about answering these, for a few reasons, so my answers may not be completely forthcoming, but perhaps some indication can be found....

Right. Er, how to put this... I am a training member in a couple of sword-based Koryu systems as part of informal study groups. In each case I am training with/under people who have recieved training under very qualified people, although they are not authorised instructors themselves. That said, the link to the authorised instructors is there, and is essential.

Because the training groups are not officially under the authority of an instructor in those systems, I am not exactly at liberty to say which Ryu-ha they are, as I do not wish to misrepresent those arts, and I do not have the authority to represent those arts.

Hmm, that seemed to go well.

Add to that some experience in a Jujutsu system that I am hoping to start officially in the next month or so (Hontai Yoshin Ryu, I am fortunate enough to have one of the rare teachers of that system outside of Japan basically in my backyard), and have been invited to join another study group of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu under a 4th Dan, although the timing isn't the best, and that may really be too much on my plate!

A quick look through my posts may indicate the arts I haven't named, though.... and, I must say, I am incredibly proud to have even the slightest association with these arts. At present we are working towards official recognition in both.

Each Koryu is seperate and distinct, with the only real connection between them is that I attend the sessions for each. They are single arts, not packaged together.

I have been incredibly fortunate, in that I have managed to be in a place and time where circumstances and my incesant questioning of any source available to me have put me in contact with persons from the exact Ryu-ha I am most interested in learning and studying. So while I have a number of other Koryu around me (Tatsumi Ryu and Toda-ha Buko Ryu, amongst others), many of which I attended classes of, either as a participant or a viewer, they were not what my personality was looking for.

If these systems were not available to me in my present location, then I would have two options: move, or accept that I couldn't train in them. Without someone to guide you, and access to experienced and qualified practitioners and teachers, there is no way to learn these arts. At all. I think we've all said that a few times, though....

Well, I hope I didn't cross too far beyond where I was supposed to say there!

8. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

9. robocoastie

robocoastie Valued Member

no, I've read and like the answers. Got a lot more info about Koryu now thanks from more people than the "subtle hints" rude comment assumed, guess he thought the few who subtly answered were the only people that mattered.

You see what I've read before about them is simply what it is like http://www.koryu.com/ gives. But not how its actually practiced; what is practiced in any schools of it, if multiple "arts" are taught etc...

thanks again.
    Rob

10. robocoastie

11. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Duh!! silly me lol.

12. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

To be honest, if you had read most of (or even a fair section of, or just one or two articles of - ) Koryu.com you'd still have had a very good idea about where your question fell down though...

I'd suggest a re-read and perhaps accompany it with some youtube video of the arts you're reading about...

Reading helps...

13. robocoastie

yes thank you. done here now. some of you have been a help. What doya want me to say huh? Is this not a conversation site? Is that not the purpose of internet forums? I'm done here, I pity whoever else comes to your club here with any questions.

bye.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

N00bs come here and get welcomed as long as they don't act like eejits.

People from the other parts of MAP come here and get welcomed and helpful responses as long as they don't act like eejits.

You have got some answers and then had a little hissy because you thought someone hasn't fallen over themselves enough for you.

Maybe instead of moaning you should again read those articles you claim to have read and then look at your conduct on here.

15. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I just logged on.

I'm in Japan at present and still jet-lagged after my first keiko of the visit.

Thread closed after reading more of the same BS, I think this forum has run it's course.

Hissy fits aren't allowed on this part of the forum.

Rudeness wasn't a factor of my prior post, it was giving hints. Something to open your eyes with.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.