Question? What is everyones' opinion on UFC?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by neo_opt, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Did I have a post deleted here?

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Not that I know of. Were you naughty?

3. walmart stocker

walmart stocker New Member

the first ufc fights were the best......all out fighting kick boxer vs shoot fighter and like only 3 rules it was great....anyone that has not seen the first ufc bouts are really missing out...btw grappling was the art that dominated and boxers didn't last very long,though they were tough and took alot of punishment....

4. BryanX

BryanX Valued Member

I agree on the following:

-UFC has some limitations
    -UFC is a pretty good fighting sport skill-wise

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Nope... must have been a glitch or something.

6. STASH

STASH New Member

That's more or less what real fighting looks like, except add bites, eye gouges and strikes to the testicles and throat. Generally what doesnt finish standing in the first few seconds goes to the ground.

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Thanks for the links Stump. I have already checked out the ones in cambridge and even have a few mates that train there but I just would not be able to make the class times and the traveling to cambridge is a bit to inconvenient for me. I am going to stick with muay thai exclusivly for another year and hopefully a good grappling based art will arrive in my area.

many thanks. :)

8. marais

marais New Member

here in the south africa we still have an org.that does nhb fighting and rules are simple-no bone breaks
    -no kicks to the twig and berries
    -no high heel shoes(he he he he )
    and these super painfull bouts for a mear 10 000 rand a fight(if you lose).20 000 rand if you win.in global language you are looking at approx 1500 pounds or 2000 dollars

9. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

UFC / PRIDE / K1 / KING OF THE CAGE - is more like fighting than ANY dojo sparring / point sparring match, These guys are in peak condition and that is why some matchs seem slow because both are great fighters. Often street fights have one good fighter and one victem. They saw the weak points of thier main art learned that NO one art is complete that you must seek out new areas of combat. If you stand and srtike / kick, learn to ground fight. If you are a wrestler learn to strike and kick.

No matter how hard you train in your style, chances are your fighting someone who trains just as hard in the other area of combat. Why not be prepared

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

As an old time MMA fan from the good old days

Headbutts were legal in MMA and certain fighters did excel with them most notable MARK COLEMAN and MARK KERR these big wrestlers nutted there way through most people.

Anyone who is in any doubt of the experience of these fighters should try some ground work grappling as it really is an experience and a highly skilled art. It also as Stump has said rounds off towards a "more" complete fighting package. It is not the answer or missing link but a possible way of improving all our skills.

It is funny how a smaller person who is weaker can control the bigger guys on the ground - Gracies being a prime example but in this moddern day and age it is possible that if you do end up on the floor in a dispute with someone they may put you in the guard or mount and then your skills wont be so much use. It is all worth looking at and is a very skilled way for both SD and general martial arts.

The fights are closer now and the skills of people are more evenly matched and also there is the addition of more rules and weight division. For the record there were no illegal moves in early UFC just a fine if you broke the main 3 for every time you did it. Some people did a fair bit (Joe Son) for multiple groin shots.

Reason people did not bit is because these people are like us all Martial Artists and as we have skill we also have some standards and dont need to be that way.

11. stump

stump Supersub

No problem combatant. To be honest Muay thai gives you a really good base (as ytou probably know better than me!) in 2 of the three areas important in MMA (clinch and striking). Best of luck with finding a convenient grappling club.

Have you tried sparring with your mates who do train MMA. You can learn a lot by just rolling with someone who knows a bit.

Sonshu - email me you git - we need a place to train :)

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Just did buddy!

Lets get sorted.

13. marais

marais New Member

done one or two grappling classes myself with the braz.jiu jitsu guys.not realy my art(legs are tooooo long).but very essential to have a variety of tools in your box to fight with.so it is necesary.

but i must admit ,it works like a charm on the ground in real life but even better when play wrestlin with a girl.

14. neo_opt

neo_opt New Member

I took brazi. jiu jitsu for about amonth I have the same problem my legs are way to long for it, but it would come in handy if I ever had to use it.

15. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

HA HA...... I would just let her win, i'm sneaky like that. :)

Stump; I am going to be ordering an instructional DVD soon and when I do I will find someone else interested and use the DVD as a sort of tutor and sylabus. It would be great to get good at submissions and throws.

16. stump

stump Supersub

check out the fighters handbook....I heard it's a great reference