Question from an 8 yr old.

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Humblebee, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Last week I took my 8 year old son along to our local JJ club. He seems quite intrested in joining and likes the fact that JJ covers striking,grappling and takedowns. I myself have never trained JJ but have trained in Judo,boxing and kickboxing which covers all the areas JJ covers. When we were driving home my son asked me if I have ever trained in JJ. I said no,so he said but you have learned to fight in all the same areas as we saw tonight so why isn't that Juijitsu. Intresting question from an 8 year old.

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Simple answer would still be no, even though you have trained in the same ranges as what JuJutsu includes.

There are techniques, ideas and principles in JJ that you will not find in either Judo, boxing or kickboxing. There is a lot of overlap in aeras to be sure, but they are still different.

It's sort of like saying I've trained wrestling because I've trained in Judo and they both are grappling based. Not correct.

3. Humblebee

I don't know anything really about JJ but it seemed like a pretty good club. the only thing that concerned me was the lack of randori and aliveness sparring and that was in the adult class. Still would like my son to join though.

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Let him go and enjoy the calsses.

I would concur with the others about not learning Jujitsu ...but your skill set would give you huge advantages if you were to take the class with your son !!

Happy christmas

Smurf

5. Humblebee

Thank you. I would like him to go, it looks good.

Happy Xmas to you.