question from a shotokan girl

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by shotokanwarrior, Oct 4, 2004.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Hello guys, here is a question from an outsider. I was reading a book about kicboxing in the library(no don't worry I'm not gonna try and learn it out of a book) and the thing says the main area of the body for a knockout are the chin, temple, solar plexus and liver. Well the first 2 are obvious, and I do know that a heavy shot to the solar plexus can KO someone by causing trauma to visceral nerves which regulate the heart causing it to slow...but the liver???? How can a liver shot knock someone unconscious???

Regards, S warrior

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Perhaps they just mean it will result in the inability to continue fighting. Not necessarily in literal unconsciousness. Either way it would be ruled a KO or perhaps TKO.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What Ap Owen said.
    Basically a good shot there in the stomach or ribs can wind someone to the point they just cant continue.
    It usually classes as a KO.
    I remember a boxing match for some vacant title (feather or midddle weight cant remember) It ended when the Korean fighter Injin-Chi, landed a nice right hook into the guys armpit/upper rib area.
    He was just on the floor crouched up and couldnt move.

4. shotokanwarrior

What does TKO stand for?

5. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Technical Knock-Out. Basically when an opponent cannot return to the fight after taking a rest period of length determined by the ref. Taking an accidental hit down low will allow the ref to start the time. However, if the strike was intentional, and the defender cannot continue, the attacker is disqualified.

This is what I found on the World Boxing Association page, but I don't know if it applies to kickboxing.

6. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Also in the style of full contact kickboxing we practice we can end a fight or achieve a TKO with a thigh kick, as we kick with the shin like in Thai Boxing, when you strike your opponents thigh muscle you will receive the worst dead leg of your life followed by a bruise, it is like being hit with a baseball bat, regardless how tough you are a thigh kick executed correctly will easily immobolise a 20 stone bloke, if you can hit both the thighs they literally fall to their knees, it is also an excellent self defence technique as are all the full contact techniques such as knees and elbows. A liver punch will immobolise you but you have to get the body punch just right, not easy to hit when moving about quickly while fighting, but when you get yours hit it takes your breath away and makes you feel sick and slows you right down.

7. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

just ram it in there and hope for a lucky shot :D :p

8. shotokanwarrior

Is the liver another place where there's hardly any muscle? How come you can't just take it?

9. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Don't think that body shots do no damage. Apart from broken ribs and breathing impairment, body shots can cause internal organ damage, especially to very vascualr organs such as the spleen and liver. The effects may not be apparent immediately, but there is a real risk of heavy internal blood loss.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

If you guys saw the Hopkins vs Dela Hoya fight, that is one good example of a good liver shot.

11. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Thinking about it, a body puch or a rising roundhouse kick in the floating rib, I never knew what a floating rib really was until I saw a skeleton recently.

12. gakami

gakami Valued Member

Everybody in this thread is right, a liver shot can hurt a lot to the point of shutting your body down.

For those who haven't experienced it, I advise getting one of your friends to punch you in the liver area and see how it feels. Your friend should preferably have striking/fight experience, you don't want him/her to give you a weak punch where you can't feel anything at all, thereby giving you a false sense of invincibility to a liver punch.

13. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

Prime example the Oscar De LaHoya fight he took a shot to the liver and it paralyzed him..not permanently but just enough to where he couldnt get up from a ten count..that was from a punch so think about it...watch a sports channel im sure you will see it on the highlight

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

There was another liver shot KO recently... Arturo Gotti just collapsed some guy. It can be worse than testicles...

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Liver shot makes your legs just buckle. Seen it happen in a boxing fight. Forgot who was fighitng, but the guy put his entire weight into the punch, and hit the other guy in the liver--he stood there for a second, and just collapsed. Later they explained that liver shots just paralyze your legs.

I wish I knew where the liver was. :confused:

PL

16. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

The liver is found in the upper right-hand side of the abdomen under the ribs. Found this pic somewhere. ;) Now, lets all slam it in there!!!! :woo:

Attached Files:

17. shotokanwarrior

You have to hit the ribs then? I didn't know that.

18. Tom Yum Guy

Tom Yum Guy New Member

Liver shot

Liver punches or kicks really hurt. The liver is located along your opponents right, back side just under the ribs and toward the lower back. A hard punch there and you feel trouble, I don't know why but it makes you want to sit down. Probably a bundle of nerves there.

19. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

What everyone said is good so far. The liver shot is on the right side of the body. You can strike below the floating rib from the side to just in the front. This will transfer shock to the liver. The best hand strike is at a slightly upward direction. One of the fighters I worked with was known for this shot. He was a 4-time world champ and was know for landing a punch to the liver and stopping people. He was a southpaw and threw an uppercut to the liver with his left. A hook is also good if you get it in the right spot. He was the only one I have seen “knock” someone out with a liver shot. In a boxing match he caught the guy with a left uppercut to the liver and really got behind it. The guy had his back to the rope with no where to go. You could really hear the shot when it landed. Think of a 2X4 hitting a side of beef sound. The guy went down to his knees then rolled over to his back and passed out. So he kind of did knock him out with a liver shot. I can tell you that from experience the pain of a good liver shot is something you never forget. Always attack the body!

20. shotokanwarrior

I used to have a lot of misconceptions. I always thought attacking the face was more devastating.