Question about rules

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Adam, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

In boxing, how is the scoring counted, what makes one boxer win by decision? And what does "Technical Knock-Out" mean?

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Adam,
    The scoring is based on the following:

Crisp techniques that Land, Ring Craft, Aggression in terms of Coming forward looking to land techniques, Evasion and successful countering and General Workrate (Ie a Boxer is 'Busy') and forcing your opponent to miss, make mistakes etc etc.

As well as combinations used with skill and composure etc etc.

In the States they tend to rate Aggression above Technical Excellence (Boxing Skills), meaning that the Boxer that takes the fight to the other will automatically be ahead on the score card.

In Europe it tends to be the other way round, Distinct Boxing Skill is highly rated and aggression without good technique isn't neccessarily a match winner if it goes to a points situation.

Knock downs count for something. With Two Boxers who are equally matched, any Knock downs will count in the scoring situation.

Obviously points are literally counted for delivery of solid punches, with the correct portion of the Glove, Front Knuckles only.

Points are deducted for constantly Clinching, Rabbit Punching, Hitting and Holding, deliberate use of the Head, as in butting or 'Rubbing' the head into your opponents face (The Lennox Lewis), Swing Punching with the inside of the Glove and purposely hitting with the Forearm/ Elbow and lack of engagement-IE not Boxing.

TKO (Technical Knock-out) is when one Boxer cannot continue due to punishment taken, for example if he goes down but gets back up and the Ref stops it, even though he isn't literally Knocked-Out.

The Referee is the Arbiter in that situation, if they decide that the Boxer can't carry on, then that's that. Like recently in the Lewis vs Klitschko fight. Klitschko outclassed Lewis for Six Rounds, but in Round two Lewis had head butted Klitschko who got a heavy cut, which Lewis then worked on and the fight was stopped in the Sixth, due to the Ref deciding that Klitschko couldn't continue= Stoppage due to cuts.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

..... only in amateur boxing. In pro boxing punches are not counted for scoring reasons. Rounds are scored on a "Ten point must"system. i.e.. One boxer must get 10 points - the other gets 9 if he only just lost - 8 if he got a pounding. If a boxer in knocked down he automatically gets only 8 (I think).

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

5. Adam

Adam New Member

I see. That clears up a few things for me, I thought TKO was when you got knocked down a certain number of times. Thanks SoKKlab.

Edit: And Yoda, of course.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Under certain rules in certain countries, then sometimes a three knockdown per round rule applies. Ie If you get legitimately knocked down 3 times in any round, the fight can be stopped by TKO.

But it really depends upon the Organisation Ie WBC, WBA, WBO, WBF, IBF, IBO etc etc.

And the individual country. Safety of the fighters being paramount.

In the U.S I believe that in most States, it is down to the individual Referees judgement, unless a specific State Boxing board has a set rule.For example if memory serves me correctly, Nevada's laws are quite strict on amount of knockdowns etc, whereas New York's are more based on judgement of the Ref.

I think....

7. Saggitarius

Saggitarius New Member

Man soKKlab, that was insanely deep. It cleared up so many things that i was so ignorant too before.