Question about retiring / closing named accounts:

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Hissatsu, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

2. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

UGH. I'll try to quickly address it:

In my preferred scenario: I want the closure of my current account to be public. I'd like there to be discussion on this topic, but the thread was locked and Frodo tucked her statement in a locked sticky. I'd have preferred to have the conversation somewhere more relevant, but this seemed to be the best place.

I'd like to, at a future date, set up a new account (anonymously).

I'm not making veiled threats. I own and moderate boards as well (with this software) - so I understand how they work - that's all I meant by it. It also means I understand enough to know why changing the username isn't a solution to the underlying problem.

-Me

3. Manga

Manga Moved On

http://www.budoseek.net/

http://www.e-budo.com/

http://www.kutaki.org/

http://www.martialtalk.com/

Or if none of these suit you, start your own maybe?

Or just walk away from the keyboard?

There are so many options in this whole wide world of the internet that I really just don't see why anyone would complain that one corner of it doesn't suit your personal expectations.

However in the interests of disclosure, I am one of those pesky anonymous people on the Ninjutsu subforum who Hissatsu has crossed paths with in the past. So he's bound to now come back with "I knew you'd say that."

Incidentally the mods already posted why MAP is and will remain an anonymous board. Here's the post.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074398220&postcount=4

If you don't like what they serve here, is it really so hard to just find another place where they serve what you're looking for?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. Hissatsu

Don had to explain his life choices to an anonymous poster (and the rest of MAP). Keitaz can literally start a brand new account this hour and no one will ever know...

Reputation and credibility are absolutely, 100% meaningless when you are anonymous (by definition).

-Me

5. Hissatsu

Please read the thread Manga before you post again. I appreciate you taking the time to address something that I did not ask for.

-Me.

PS. I'm also not really interested in your advice, thanks anyway.

6. Mitch

So you want to close your current account and let people know that you've closed it? Specifically so they can discuss it?

But then you also want to make sure you let people know that you will be opening a new account in future so that you can post anonymously?

Or do you just want to circumvent a Mod decision to lock a thread so you can have another public discussion over anonymous IDs?

I still don't see how you're trying to do something to let you post anonymously by posting about it in a public forum? Just contact an Admin.

Mitch

7. Hissatsu

To Mitch - I've sent email to a couple admins. Thanks for the tip.

-Me.

8. Mitch

Don got a lot of respect, Keitaz came across as an idiot. I would say reputation and credibility were both very well served.

Mitch

9. Manga

Manga Moved On

Hissatsu said - "Please read the thread Manga before you post again."

Thanks, I did. Once was enough. This is simply your "baww I'm leaving the forum" thread in effect. Oh you're wording it to avoid it being seen as such I'll grant you. You've gone on about this for ages now and been told in no uncertain terms that anonymity is staying. So now you're making this fuss to draw wider attention to your argument even though you already know that the mods won't give you special treatment and make an exception for you, closing one account just so you can open another so you can reap the benefits of anonymity. You've argued for ages against anonymity and yet now you want it for yourself? Everything is about you getting your way. You know that, right?

If you'd really wanted this you would have simply stopped posting as Hissatsu, waited a little bit and then opened a new account. But you didn't, which means you were simply serving your ongoing agenda.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

11. Mitch

Very welcome. I fondly remember that funny growth behind your ear ;)

If you have any problems feel free to PM me either.

Mitch

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I still find it slightly odd that "I live in Japan" is such an important thing on this board.

I think if you were to go and post on any of the other boards, something like "why do you do kick-x in that way in taekwondo?", you'd get people trying to explain the biomechanical reasons before they tried to say "I am a student of Master-Y in Korea and have trained at his personal dojang 8 times" and hoping that such an appeal to authority gave their argument weight. If anything, anonymity is an advantage to this ninjutsu forum as it goes some way to making such arguments from personal authority redundant.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

14. Hissatsu

I considered it - but I'd prefer to not have to use proxies (like you claim to do). Which is why I asked, as your solution runs the risk of having both accounts banned (as a direct violation of ToS).

The ToS doesn't adequately address people who want to switch. Hence the question.

Regardless, I've emailed admins - thanks. Feel free to delete this thread if you wish.

EDIT: LOL - 2000 posts right on the nose. :)

DOUBLE EDIT: Mitch, I've gone out to dinner more than once with that growth on my ear. Embarrassing later...

15. Mitch

Nah, it's cos we've improved the biomechanical efficiency by over 463% from Shotokan. Fact.

Mitch

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Master Mitch, as you are a second dan and I am but a humble first dan, I must concede to your authority.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Then, like anything, people will have to take what they say with a grain of salt unless they can prove otherwise.

For many of us, we choose anonymity more about protecting ourselves and our families rather than any other reason. Especially in this day and age where if you have pictures on the Internet from smart phones and GPS-equipped cameras people can literally find out where those photos were taken, there are multiple websites that can tell you public and personal details about a person you are looking for, and identity theft and cyber-stalking are growing crimes, protecting your identity on the Internet should be a priority.

Take me, for example. Very few people on here know my real name, age, email address, or even the actual city that I live in. Everything you know about ole Kuma is just from what I've said on here. Since I have never formally verified any of what I said, you can take whatever I say with a grain of salt. No harm here. However, in the rare case that it would be prudent to verify who I am and what I do, there are a few moderators I would trust to send that information to to prove who I am. Other than that, I don't want to publicly advertise any and every thing I do, simply for my own personal protection and the protection of my family.

18. Moi

I always thought karate trumped TKD in everything due to the copyright infringement. learn something new every day

19. Hissatsu

Yeah - it is pretty odd.

Even more odd though, in the ninjutsu sub-forum, the anonymous posters seem to love throwing details they know can't/won't be checked (Japan, godan / teacher, old timer, personal student of XXYY, etc). So they get the best of both worlds - to be authorities without any cred check.

I've just switched sides - if you can't beat em, join em. :)

20. Moi

Who are you expecting from the tea party?