Question about retiring / closing named accounts:

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Hissatsu, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Due to a recent posting in the Ninjutsu Subforum - I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing to be gained by having a named account on this board. In fact, oddly enough, there are a ton of benefits that I am missing out on by having my real name on my posts.

Due to ToS, however, I can't have two accounts. How do I go about closing one down completely and starting a new account?

Thanks in advance.

-Daniel

The post referenced above is: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074398220&postcount=4

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I do find this kind of request strange and it is to always be heard by the Ninjas.

"I can't say my real name otherwise x, y or z will happen.

You are not a clan of trained assasins and therefore you all need to stop talking as though your life depended on anonymity.

Nothing wrong with not displaying your name, but to say doing so could cause problems tells me you should take up an art practiced by nicer people who are more interested in training than politics.

3. Hissatsu

Its not that at all. I prefer boards (and argued extensively in support of) that have real names. What I have found, is that the duality of this board - allowing both - gives people who want anonymity a ton of extra leverage in conversations that shouldn't exist. It is to my disadvantage and detriment to be named here, as it really only works against me. There is literally *zero* upside to having your name attached to your posts.

-Daniel

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You don't have a named account, you choose to sign your name to posts. You can change your username any time you like and simply stop signing your name to posts by using the Request Username option on the User CP under the miscellaneous section.

Duplicate accounts are not allowed on MAP.

If you genuinely want to discuss something private like that privately, might I suggest that a PM to an Admin would be a better way of going about it than posting in a public forum?

Mitch

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

GMs can change the displayed name on an account, ask nicely.

6. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

I wanna know what this 'LEVERAGE' is you think people are getting from not saying 'MY NAME IS MATTHEW' in the posts? and how does it hurt you? I mean seriouslly....this is the internet. Are you gonna run for political office later and have been posting some questionable material????

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't agree.

I do accept that some people prefer anonymity, but I have chosen to show my name, website, blog and facebook page and have not had one single private message, text or e-mail which is anything other than polite.
    In fact I have linked up with members here on facebook, including some of the MODS.

8. Hissatsu

For the record - I'm not asking for a duplicate account. I'd like to close one completely and start a new one anonymously.

I considered it, but that doesn't work Mitch. If I decided to change my account name, anyone would be able to just simply look back at my posting history and find out who I am. This is against the stated purpose of allowing members to choose to be anonymous. There is way too much that ties me to this account that can't be undone unless you are willing to globally remove every post I have made to place me on equal footing with people who simply sign up anonymously. I put this in the feedback, problems section because it seemed to be the best place to post it.

I can get around your system, I just prefer to work with you instead of against you.

-Me.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I don't have my name anywhere but anyone who wants to know, I pity those fools (imagine a Mr T voice) knows it. I may talk a load of crap but I'm happy to stand behind that crap in real life. Why anyone would want to be completely anonymous is beyond me, unless they're not prepared to stand behind what they post or are here for the wrong reasons.
    Stuff 'em and keep as you are, it's nice to see people, particually ninjas (unfortunately) standing by the backstabbing hatred of each other. Not counting you there by the way, I don't recall your post history. End of the day, why hide?

10. Mitch

Veiled threats are a surefire winner when it comes to getting people to help you.

Again I will make the point; if you want something done to assure your anonymity then a public forum is not the medium to do it, unless your real aim is to have the discussion in public?

Mitch

11. Custom Volusia

I still want to know what these benefits are that he speaks of.....

12. Hissatsu

I turned off private messages. This is the best way to communicate given that.

13. Custom Volusia

14. Mitch

Or you could email any Admin. Or turn PM back on.

Mitch

15. Hissatsu

Sorry - the brief version is - I don't like uneven playing ground.

Someone can say "that's not how it is done in Japan" - but we can't ask them to provide any evidence they are in Japan.

The idea of merit-alone based discussion is interesting when dealing with theoretical / intangible topics. Most of the conversation on a Martial arts board is about tangible topics, and I am realizing that someone being able to measure my abilities (as a named source) does me no favors when they simply say whatever they want (and the discussion isn't allowed to request information to back up statements). I don't like the disparity.

Hope that helps.

-Daniel

16. Hissatsu

I'm trying to understand why you are acting so defensively.

If the answer is, just email an admin - here is the list of admin email addresses, that would have been a lot easier.

-Me.

17. Custom Volusia

You are kidding...I know you are.

I could easily set all my stuff to reflect being somewhere I'm not...Japan for instance. THIS IS THE INTERNET!!! People either provide material to back up what they say or have the cred on the board to be able to get away with smaller claims. That will have no bearing on if you have your name available or not.

18. Hissatsu

You're wrong.

I'm not kidding. I'm a known entity under this name. Anyone who reads a post I put up will know I am not living in Japan.

That's the point. You can do that, but I can't.

19. Mitch

I'm struggling to understand your course of action. If I wanted to do something so that other board members were unaware of it I would do it via PM or email to an Admin.

If I wanted to do something publicly and start a discussion I'd start a discussion about it on a open forum.

If I wanted to do something privately and wanted help doing it I wouldn't make veiled threats about being easily able to work against the system, I'd just privately and honestly ask for help.

I'm not being defensive Daniel; click the name of any TM/Mod/Admin on any of their posts and then click on Send Email.

For what it's worth I happen to agree with much of what you post on the ninjutsu forum, I have no axe to grind there, but I genuinely don't understand trying to make a change to your privacy by raising a question on a public forum? And veiled threats are going to get you nowhere and fast.

Mitch

20. Hissatsu