question about patterns

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Infesticon #1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Has anyone done anything similar to Karate Bunkai for TKD Patterns?

In my old class we didn't really have any discussion of what the movements were for or could be used as beyond the obvious and the plain absurd.

Is there a good resource that I have somehow missed out on?

I am restarting in TKD from white belt and would find it interesting to have a deeper understanding of the patterns this time around.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

You betcha!!!!!

I am so happy so see this before Stuart Anslow does so I can recommend his books (he's very humble and won't be as enthusiastically excited in recommending them as I am).

Master Anslow (posts here as StuartA) has put out a couple of books where he goes through the (Chang Hon) forms in great detail (nice reference to the form) and then shows possible applications for the moves. I've only read the first one (but I presume the second one is in the same vein). Everything is well thought out and very much practical and/or thought provoking.

Even if you do forms other than the Chang Hon ones, the ideas presented are applicable to other systems and pattern sets. In my opinion, this is one of the best TKD resources out there.

Check out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chang-Hon-Taekwon-do-Hae-Sul/dp/1906628041/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374577255&sr=8-2&keywords=stuart+anslow"]Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul - Real Applications to the ITF Patterns: Vol 1: Stuart Paul Anslow: 9781906628048: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chang-Hon-Taekwon-do-Hae-Sul/dp/1906628475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374577303&sr=8-1&keywords=stuart+anslow"]Amazon.com: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul - Real Applications to the ITF Patterns: Vol 2 (9781906628475): Stuart Anslow: Books[/ame]

3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Aha, this appears to be exactly what I was looking for!

My new school is ITF so it should be suitable.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I second that.
    I've got volumes 1 and 2 and they are first class.
    IMHO many TKD associations are being put in the shade by what Stu has to offer.

5. Asterix187

Asterix187 Valued Member

I guess the Encyclopedia of TaeKwon-Do may also be a good reference.

6. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Thanks Thomas :)

7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Is Amazon the best place to buy your books from StuartA?

*just noticed the link in your sig is missing a : *

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I'm in the US, so Amazon works great for me.

9. StuartA

Yes, the links on my site just put all that I`ve wrote in one place so people can see them side by side.. they actually link to Amazon as well, as Amazon gives free postage :)

Thanks for the heads up on the sig... on all the time its been there, I`ve never realised - corrected now.

cheers,

Stuart

10. StuartA

Thanks mate. Out of interest, what did you think of Vol. 2 compared to vol. 1?

Stuart

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Really not so much..... :D

Stuart's stuff is excellent, it should be your first port of call.

You can also look at Willie Lim and Iain Abernethy.

Mitch

12. StuartA

Cheers, much appreciated, you humble me. :bow1:

Stuart

13. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Grand Masters Bos, Maranno and Lam (ITF Technical Committee) seem to be very competent at applying the encyclopedia applications even under pressure. ITF IIC courses are a massive eye opener to how the encyclopedia can be made to work.

14. Mitch

I'd be interested to see it. Anything on video at all?

Mitch

15. chrispillertkd

chrispillertkd Valued Member

Same thing with Master Robert Wheatley, Master Parm Rai, and others.

Pax,

Chris

16. TheMadhoose

very difficult to get IIC footage online.

17. Mitch

That's a shame. Let me know if you do come across any. I'm turning up a few bits but nothing for pattern apps. What are the first names of Masters Lam and Bos please madhoose?

Mitch

18. TheMadhoose

ung-kim lan - hector marano - willem jacob bos

19. TheMadhoose

The whole applications thing is very much open to individual interpretation. for every theory on a technique there will those who will support or disregard it. I have seen the ITF Technical committee make the encyclopaedia work every bit as well as the newer theories.

20. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

As well as what has been said I would also look beyond TKD at Karate styles like Goju and Chinese styles that Goju is linked to. i would also look at Muay Thai as there is alot of hand fighting, clinching and close in fighting done in real time at full contact and can give lots of clues to what things might have meant to have been and also Judo and catch as can which has some nasty stand up twisting, cranking and breaking stuff going on.
    I know some might not agree and not see an obviouse link.

You see some applications and they will just not work if someone is trying to seriously take your head off.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013