Question about pads for FMA Stick Sparring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Capt Ann, Jan 2, 2005.

1. tomek

tomek New Member

Capt Ann:
    it's enough, also in shinai sparring, to wear only hockey equipment: helmet, gloves, sth for knees. If You want to be very safe add some elbow and shoulder pads or full-body hockey stuff.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Try this link in the US, I am sure they can give you what you need for a better price than the Kendo Armour and you may find it will take more of a battering too. A lot of Kendo guys in the UK are starting to use the WEKAF equipment (having your wife own her own company helps you find out this info;) ), Anyway back on track, these guys are good people and know their stuff. I am pretty sure they can help you.

http://www.docepares.net/home.html

Best regards

Pat

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ytou can try this combo for size: arnis (wekaf) helmet + hockey glove + elbow pads (roller hockey) + knee pads (roller hockey) with a live stick.

it encourages movement bec you're gonna get hurt if you don't but more or less, you won't get killed.

4. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Shooto dont forget the cup :eek:

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

They're having a brew too? :D

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

We use foam rubber/plastic escrima sticks, along with karate handpads (the little ones) and plexiglass faceshields. The foam rubber sticks are quite cheap (I think we got ours for 5-6 bucks a pop at Century), and you could easily substitute fencing masks/hockey gloves/full plate armor for the rest of the stuff. The foam rubber sticks still sting (a LOT), but you don't have to worry about breaking someone's fingers with them.

7. shootodog

believe me, afterwards you'll need a drink.

8. Pat OMalley

Oh the pain, don't you just love it, Now this is my favorite way to spar.
    some people who watch say I'm mad for doing, and they are right:)
    But it is as close to the real thing as you can get without actually going all out to really hurt each other and the pain teaches you a lot.

I love pain, especially when inflicted on others:eek: :D

But I would suggest if you are a beginer start with the full body armour, then go on to the padded stick with just helmet and gloves, then once you have the expeariance go for the live stick and limited armour type of sparring for it is not for the faint hearted and it hurts like hell, which is nice;)

Regards

Pat

9. shootodog

you could try using helmet and padded sticks only (use lthe light core padded sticks). then you could move to ligh core padded sticks and just squash glasses. move back to helmet and heavy core padded sticks (the one with a thin rattan core) only. the weight approximates live sticks.

there will be pain. yet, more importantly, there will be lessons learned bec of the pain.

10. Pat OMalley

Mmmm, I'm loving it already.:cool:

11. shootodog

sado-masochist!

all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!all hail pat for he is a sado-masochist!

12. WT_ATL

WT_ATL New Member

Incorporating padded training sticks to your real stick training can be very effective, if the right padded stick is used. Often times the padded sticks are either too padded or too whippy. The result, students are unable to transition between padded sticks and real rattan without having their timing or technique thrown off. Additionally, they get a false sense of invulnerability. A good padded stick should be safe too use, but also maintain most of the attributes of a real stick.

13. escrimaguy

escrimaguy New Member

As I get older, I appreciate padded stick training. I like it. My body likes it.

-B

14. Pat OMalley

I just got some padded sticks in from Manila to test out for my wife,

:D Very nice, the sting still feels like getting hit with the stick but minus the bruises, saying that a few knuckles were rapped on Tuesday night which is nice.
    One poor guy got hit in the gonads by his son, no box:eek: :cry: :eek: Nice one Peter:cool: That brought a stop to the bout eh!

But don't you just love the sound of bare rattan on flesh and bone;)

Regards

Pat

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It often suprises me how little merit some people give to using padded sticks, when they are so quick to sing the praises of using padded hands i.e. Boxing.

We sparred with padded sticks, fencing masks and light street hockey gloves last night - the sticks are the same weight as our 31" x 1.5" rattan. I got my left hand cracked through a street hockey glove. :eek:

16. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

never done that!

ive been stick fighting for a around a year now and have yet to use padded sticks but would love to get on a helmet ,gloves etc and get stuck in

especialy knowing the pain of rapped knuckles all too well :rolleyes:

17. Pat OMalley

I hear you there mate:eek:
    The padding don't help the wrapped knuckles it just help the pain take a little longer to set in:eek:

18. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

hmm sounds good all the same pat
    i'll bare that in mind
    what would you pad em out with ?
    foam rubber and gaffer tape?

19. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

yup they were quite nice, bit diffrent to armour though. well he should have moved then shouldnt he? :p

20. jaffas21

jaffas21 Valued Member

gloves

After getting suitably pounded in a recent training session ...

I have decided theres a big difference between gloves for sparring and gloves for training in ...

I just ordered some hockey gloves of Ebay ..... it seems to be the place to get stuff from, although i've never used it before ...

Hopefully these should stop my hands getting beaten to crap with "hit the hand" drills