question about leaving a school to join another

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Giovanni, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

hello my frens.

serious question.....

is switching bjj schools really something that's looked down upon?

here's my situation....since having a third kid, it's been hard to train at my typical time--mornings. and by hard i mean impossible. needless to say, getting two kids ready for school (and all that entails), getting the baby fed and changed is all taken together a big task. i've been staying home so my wife doesn't have to do it all, because she also has to get ready for her day because she works also.

i've considered starting to train at nights again. but a gym opened down the street from me, only a half-mile away. and the nighttime class-start time is good: 7 pm. i can hang out with the kids, help get them fed, get me and my wife fed, get the kids mostly ready for bed, then easily walk over to train. it's not that my curent gym is that far, but i have to drive there to be efficient, pay for parking, and the night time class start time is 6:30. so not as useful of a time for me to help my wife with the work of dealing with our children.

i'm thinking of switching. only because of the convenience. i love my current gym, coach and other people that train there. but at the end of the day, i have to be selfish a bit.

is it still a thing that's looked down upon to switch bjj gyms? some kind of unwritten rule?

i am going to talk to my current coach about it too. but wanted to ask for your feedback also.

thanks!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nothing Wring with t man. Definitely tell your coach about the switch, as a courtesy.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Just be honest and try before switching for good?
    Nobody can expect more

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Switching schools as a belt chaser, or because of other random non important things is looked down upon, Having real reasons especially work, kids and family are very very valid reasons. and should be absolutely fine.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The only time I've ever heard of someone being talked down on is if they're coming from a belt factory. And even then their belt is judged, not the person. Easy enough to get caught up in those things. Just go for it if its easier for you dude.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Family first everything else second. At the end of the day you pay to train, so as long as you're honest and courteous with your current coach it's none of their business anyway.

Mitch

7. Giovanni

thanks for all the feedback guys.

my status right now is that my wife and i are going to give morning training another go to see if we can make it work. i'm extraordinarily fortunate that she's willing to sacrifice in order to help me do something i love. i'm also going to potentially try some night classes and maybe the occasional mid-day class. if we can't make it work, then moving gyms is an option.

thanks again. see youse on the interwebs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  8. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Sounds like you have done everything right! How old are your eldest are they of an age where they could get involved in something?

9. Giovanni

i'm going to be introducing judo to the oldest sometime in the next 6 months to see how he likes it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  10. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

That will be good if you start getting them involved then it should help you being able to sneak off as well!

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Life happens. No sane school/instructor would give you a hard about this.