Question about Kukkiwon and WTF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Andy Cap, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I have read both of the web sites of the Kukkiwon and the WTF. They reference each other quite often. What sort of relationship do they currently have? Also, my instructor told me that the Kukkiwon had thrown the WTF out - has anybody heard of this? Please post references if you can.

2. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

The Kukkiwon is the headquarters of the World Tae Kwon Do Federation. It is a building that serves as the main headquarters for Tae Kwon Do authorized by South Korea.
    It does not conduct regular Tae Kwon Do classes. Instead, it oversees and regulates Dan testing, special demonstrations, standardizes WTF technique, conducts special classes and seminars, and oversees WTF sparring.
    If you possess a Kukkiwon Dan certificate, they are the ones who issued it based on your Instructor's recommendation.

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree with the previous post. as far as the throwing out is concerned, i haven't heard anything about it. i don't think it's true.

4. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

OK - thanks for the reply. Do you have areference that you can post that proves this? I don't ask this because I do not believe you. I ask this because I do believe you and want to prove this to someone else.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  6. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Throwing out?

I bet your instructor is probably referring to the WTF offices moving out of the Kukkiwon building. WTF now has its own office building in Seoul, but I don't think it was a case of being thrown out, more so to many people, to little cubicles ;)

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

8. TraditionalTKD

After the WTF had all the problems with Un Yong Kim, they discovered he had claims to the land upon which sat the Kukkiwon. Apprently this went back to the original construction. The powers that be at the WTF decided that since they obviously could not move the Kukkiwon, they relocated the headquarters to a new building in downtown Seoul. Which leaves Dr. Kim with claims to a parcel of land containing an empty building.

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

That is an interesting bit of news. So, are you saying the Kukkiwon still resides on his land?

I have read the Kukkiwon website and the WTF website and they do not clearly explain the relationship. How involved is the Kukkiwon and the WTF? Are they essentially the same organization? Please if you have any info that you can coroborate, I would be very appreciative.

10. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Strange note,my kukkiwon cert says world tkd headquarters.No where on the cert is the words world tkd fed(wtf).Just an observation.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, but 'world tkd' does not mean that it is the headquarters of all associations of tkd in the entire world.

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

However, that is exactly the thought behind that statement. They are the headquarters for more than WTF - correct? I mean they do the grading for other organizations? What exactly does the Kukkiwon do?

13. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Was'nt implying anything,or cutting anyones tkd.Just making an observation.I found it strange that for two groups that are supposed to be tightly knit,theres no mention of the wtf on my kukkiwon cert(issued 2001).

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

among other things "Supporting World Taekwondo Federation and the Korea Taekwondo Association"

15. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I hear that said a lot..but the question is - support them how? I have gone to both of their websites and scoured them for info. All I get is that the Kukkiwon is where the promotions are made, and that WTF tournament results cann effect a Kukkiwon promotion.

16. TraditionalTKD

The World Tae Kwon Do Federation does not issue Dan certificates. It serves as the governing body for Kukkiwon-based TKD worldwide. In other words, the WTF sets the rules for Tae Kwon Do as authorized by South Korea and all holders of a Kukkiwon-issued Dan certificate. The WTF was formed out of the 9 major Kwans in Korea. So the WTF is the organization, the Kukkiwon is the building that houses it. Each has it's own functions. WTF Presiden is Chung Won Choue; Kukkiwon President is GM Woon Kyu Uhm, Kwan Jang of Chung Do Kwan.
    And "World Tae Kwon Do" is sometimes used as a synonym for the WTF, as it is the only organization recognized/authorized by the Kukkiwon and the Korean gov't.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005