Question about Competition Judo Gi for the "big" guy.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Combat Sports, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

So finding a Gi to compete in Judo and BJJ has been somewhat of a nightmare. I found that I fit a size 7 jacket comfortably but the pants would not even make it to my waist.

(Going to be blunt here, I have fat thighs and a huge 54' waist)

I talked to a couple of stores and finally found out that in Judo pants, my pants size is 11 or 12.

The salesman offered that I could get super heavyweight Karate pants (meaning just the pants, obviously I still need a proper Judo top.) that would fit my waist and be far less expensive then me buying two total gi's to keep the jacket from one and the pants from another.

I know Judo/BJJ pants tend to have a little extra padding in the knees. I can live without that. My question is are there any competition regulations that would prevent me from competing if I wear Karate pants with a Judo Gi top?

2. roblen

roblen Valued Member

im a big bloke nd had to order mine from brazil (via my instructor)

pretty quick but not cheap

3. righty

righty Valued Member

BJJ I don't believe there is but there are a few different rulesets, so you should read them to make sure.

Judo I don't think so either, but it would be better to check and to be honest I haven't read through the entire ruleset as it's way too long. I would think that even if it was a rule if you were entering local comps, it would be something they would likely let slide if they even noticed.

I believe there are places that can do a custom job for you if you send in measurements. No idea on the cost but likely expensive.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

5. Combat Sports

6. Combat Sports

Alas, they don't do custom gis. They just size you and try to find you a factory manufactured gi accordingly. I called them and they said it would be months before they would have anything that would fit me.

This is really starting to become a nightmare. I have more motivation to train and improve then I have my whole life. And this is getting in my way.

7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Playwell sorted me out - if they don't have what you want drop them a line and they may be able to help. (I am 6'4" and my waist isn't that different to yours, and probably neither are my thighs! I train in one of their cheaper judo suits, and compete (sport jits, not judo) in a heavyweight karate gi that was huge so I had the cuffs altered locally)