Quan Jitsu Review: Zoom Training with 'FightHero'

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by BJJ Enthusiast, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Older. And not just Greece. Egypt played a strong role in boxing around 1300 BC. This is a picture of a boxing match for a pharoah, found in the Tomb of Merya, of the 18th Egyptian Dynasty. Talk about lineage. If I were to guess I'd say boxing and wrestling as skills/arts are as old as most hunter-gatherer skills, prehistoric and primeval. Way older than recorded history. I could be wrong but there they are, boxing on this piece of clay. And in Roman, Cretean artwork. Even Chinese artwork! Boxers, boxers everywhere!

[​IMG]

2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Having caught up on the odd turn of events leading to this thread, I have to say this was a wild one. I think people are bored and frantic and trying to escape their "new normals" because let's all face it, there is no such thing as "normal" to begin with. For example, I'm not normal, but are you?

I remember when this sort of thing happened with school let out in the summer. Well, summer break came early this year folks. One thing I know is that bamboo makes a hell of a fishing pole, so five bucks might be worth it. Bamboo makes a good quality flyrod.

I read something in the other banned thread about Japanese artwork explaining a bunch of stuff, there's really no reason he can't just post that online for everyone to see. I'm sure people would find it interesting. The information should be free, even if the fishing pole costs a Google play card, right?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I read the previously locked thread. The way FightHero described his use of the Phoenix Eye (Fung Ang Kuen) its actually quite common and nothing special.

We do it in Pak Mei...

4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

It is in Xingyiquan and I have seen it in Wing Chun too. Yes, you are right, it is common

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Bujinkan do it that way as well , I think they call it boshi ken

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Phoenix eye and boshiken have different hand configurations.

7. Dead_pool

They also drunk beer, I drink beer, perhaps I'm Egyptian.......

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Only if you walk like one.... and apparently have an English accent if Hollywood is to be believed

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Does listening to Nile, liking Susanna Hoffs, and finding Carry on Cleo hilarious as a kid count?

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Just listen to this and you'll be as Egyptian as the rest of us

Grond, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Having read the original post about monk wong and the usual fairy tales it seems some things haven't changed during the time I haven't been around here much.

Depends what you regard as secrets.In regards to CMAs as I've said here before what once were basics are now secrets.Go to most CMA classes and see how many are teaching the "additional mechanics" as I've termed them.While you're at it,see how many instructors even know/know about them.Pretty low %.

Although this has improved in some quarters since I was a young guy.

To imply that that they would regard to such chicanery is an insult to all true practitioners of the Rod and Gun Arts!:mad:

Wrestling yeah,every body pretty much seems to have that even if only as a ritual/sporting method,but evidence from explorers at various times and places all over the world seems to show most "primitive" societies before sustained contact with "civilizations" generally did not have much striking practices.That's what weapons are for-because hitting folks w/parts of your own anatomy ofttimes leads to injuries which could mean you're not going to be doing much hunting/gathering 'til you're broken hand or foot is ok.This could be fatal,especially in harsh environments such as the Arctic Circle.

We could say in some perverted sense that evidence of boxing (striking) practices is evidence of "higher" cultural societies.Like Egypt.

Grond likes this.
  12. MonkWong

MonkWong Banned Banned

Firstly - greetings fellow practitioners of kung fu. It appears there have been a few misunderstandings here about my style, my lineage etc. This seems to have led to the banning of my disciple Fight Hero.

I am a monk and I come in peace. My teacher taught me martial arts in order to defend Master Li’s temple from ruffians. In my youth I trained in a number of Northern Shaolin-based styles, but Master Li taught me his family form. As my skill increased however, I never forgot my humble beginnings; indeed I hang a fishing rod in my training hall as a reminder of where I came from.

I am very happy to answer all and any questions on my style.

13. Dead_pool

93049.jpg Why have you used someone else's photo for your profile picture?

释永信:少林寺商业化不会停 并不留恋方丈位置<font color=red>(图)</font>

"Brief introduction of Shi Yongxin: Formerly known as Liu Yingcheng and legally named Yongxin. He was born in 1965. He was born in Yinghui, Anhui. The 30th generation abbot of Shaolin Temple, vice president of China Buddhist Association, president of Henan Buddhist Association, China's first monk with an MBA degree. (Photo courtesy of CFP)"

14. MonkWong

MonkWong Banned Banned

I am also happy to talk about the scoundrel Abbot Wu.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thread closed.

Duplicate account.

No need for further discussion.

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

So, fantasist or scammer? I'm going with the latter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.