Quan Jitsu Review: Zoom Training with 'FightHero'

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by BJJ Enthusiast, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJJ Enthusiast

BJJ Enthusiast New Member

Dear all,

As promised, a quick run-down of my Zoom call with 'FightHero' (who introduced himself as Jay over webcam). Apologies as this is probably quite superficial as I'm not the most experienced martial artist myself (blue belt BJJ; ~2 years training).

Physical Demonstrations

Jay demonstrated what looked like some sort of palm strike on a wooden block, which appeared to shatter into a thousand pieces. He then showed what he described as a 'phoenix eye' strike, which he used to instantly crumple what looked like a can of Coke. Not particularly convinced.

Jay then performed some 'Yang style Tai Chi', which to the untrained eye looked fairly impressive, then practising what he called a 'qigong set', explaining some of the positions along the way. Jay's demonstration finished with quite an interesting weapon set with a Tao and a katana, which looked flashy but not necessarily very practical.

Meditative Demonstrations

Using a fishing rod, Jay demonstrated a meditative technique where he "invoked the humble origins of Monk Wong" in order to enter a deep trance-like mental state.

Outcomes

The physical demonstrations looked, to an enthusiast, quite impressive, but I wasn't convinced. I just didn't see any potential practical usage there.

I was actually really taken (unexpectedly so) by the meditative components of the demonstration, and Jay has offered me a Monk Wong bamboo fishing rod, which I purchased from him using Google Play gift cards. I look forward to receiving my rod, which is accompanied by meditation form instructions apparently carved into an okiyo-e by none other than Monk Wong himself.

Grond likes this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have to be honest and say I think you've been done, certainly in regard to the fishing rod.

As I've said before there are no secrets in the martial arts and anyone selling them is in my opinion selling a lie.

With the current lockdown and the mental anguish it is causing a lot of people many instructors are giving away content for free.

Many on here will have lineages that can be traced back 2000 years. Every single one of them will show you that family tree.

Take a look at this thread for free online training. The first post is a 6 week course that I am using myself.

Free Online Training

Dylan9d, Monkey_Magic, axelb and 3 others like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

OP, I have some magic beans for sale, are you interested?

bassai and ned like this.
  4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Separately to anything else, no-one should ever agree to pay someone else online using things like Google Play or Apple cards. This is a classic scammers trick because it makes the proceeds very difficult indeed to get back. This has become the preferred payment method of a very large number of scammers using refund tricks, PC "repairs", tax demands, etc. The general advice is that no-one legitimate will ever ask for payment using such a method.

aaradia likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

So the "family" Style of Yang was Yang Style Taijiquan, Wish I had the Chinese characters of Master Wong's full name. I could actually check to see if Yang Chengfu listed him as a student, meaning, considered him, or the other guy that was mentioned, as students. Or for that matter where these two guys allegedly learned form Yang Chengfu, to see if he was actually there and for roughly how long. My shifu has records of a lot of this.

6. Xue Sheng

YOU HAVE MAGIC BEANS!!!!!! Can I buy some by giving you my credit card number and personal information???? Said the guy whose job is partly IT security :D

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No offense but I'm seriously doubting the validity of this claim

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2020
  8. Simon

Over egged the omelette perhaps, but you get the point.

There are no secrets and lineage is traceable.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I made the point the other day elsewhere on the internet that there are no extant martial arts going back that far, nor can anyone trace a lineage back that far. This was in contrast to someone firmly making the claim that taekwondo was a 2000+ year old martial art and that the jump kicks were for kicking mounted knights off horseback...

10. Simon

I've told Mitch about that.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Actually within the Chinese martial arts community this isn't true,

Many arts were started by those that couldn't read or write so lineage become verbal and open to abuse, so not everyone kept scrolls and lineages like the Chen's, add in the total destruction of records and villages during the cultural Revolution and some lineages are very hard to trace.
    Not to mention after the second world war, the communist take over and the cultural Revolution some masters simply wanted to fade away and leave no mark so didn't produce a lineage but may have trained one or two people Bruce frantzis had a number of teachers like this for example

Major organisations have been set up by people whose lineage can not be verified
    John painters Bagua lineage for example
    Earle montague's tai chi lineage
    Jeremy Yaus Lau gar and so on.

It's not that black and white I wish it was

El Medico, Dead_pool and Simon like this.
  12. Xue Sheng

OH YEAH!!!! Well I can go back 1500 years...with some questionable research and a belief in a Chinese origin myth.....but if it is truth you're looking for.....why you'd want that.... in martial arts......I don't know.......well then....I guess......historically......400 is as far as I can go.....but that too could be challenged because it jumps families within a style so.........hmmmm.... that would put me at around 180 years.......NAH!!!!! I'm going with the 1500...because a mystical monk, living in a cave, watching 2 animals fight, comes into play :D

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I dunno about that. BJJ instructionals might be considered something close to secrets. It's not all pure fundamentals at the end of the day.

14. ned

ned Valued Member

Call me an old cynic but it seems more than coincidence that the OP and Fighthero turn up at the same time,
    now the OP has seemingly taken the time and expense to helpfully review and report back like this
    - or maybe Mr Barnum was right.

Still it keeps us all entertained so no harm done :p

Dead_pool, Xue Sheng and bassai like this.
  15. Simon

It crossed my mind too.

I checked and couldn't find a link.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

Interestingly the choice of names shows it's very very likely it's a scam....

Monk wong, fighthero and BJJ enthusiast, they're all names it's hard to search for on Google as their so generic.

Do the ISPs match too?

17. Dead_pool

Only after you fill in this fun facebook quiz for me

Your magic beans name is your mother's maiden name, your tax number, your CC pin number, and the last food you spread on some toast......

Isn't this fun!!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

Boxing is that old isn't it, because of Greece......

(Walks away quickly)

Grond and StooXex like this.
  19. Xue Sheng

COOL!!!! I'm gettin me some MAGIC BEANS!!!! :D

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

All I can say is that fishing rod manufacturers must be hit really hard by the lockdown to resort to these tactics.

Dead_pool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.