Q's & A's

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Freeform, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Yeah, most schools of Judo are primarily competition. Rare to find these days those who offer SD classes of any worth.

2. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Jim: I was always led to believe that Goshin Jitsu in essence was a combination of Aikido and Jujitsu? How would that apply to Judo?

Jim and Freeform: I see you guys talking about the perfect judo throw...how do you not confuse it with or what makes it different from an AIkido throw?? What makes judo throw different from one in AIkido? The force of the throw?

3. Jim

Jim New Member

MS maybe we should get in a chat?

Goshin Jutsu is a term that basically translates as 'self defence'. You could have Katate Goshin Justu if you want. It tends to be more for those who have studied a Japanese art (Aikido, Ju Jitsu, etc.) and have no set alliance to any specific Ryu - ie. no lineage.

Now the perfect throw (*looking wistful*) is when you are in Randori and a throw is performed that is absolutely perfect and has very little to do with strength, only skill. In practice it's very rare because to be done properly Uke must be defending PROPERLY and with as much skill as they can.

4. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

:( Alas, everytime I try using the chat, it tells me there's a connection error of some sort. Dunno if its the MAP server thats not happy or mine.

5. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Another silly question....does judo teach defense against strikes (kicks and punches) or just against grabs?? Are strikes part of the syllabus or do they just teach you defense against them?

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Again, it depends on the school. If you're studying a competition Judo form, odds are they won't have Atemi Waza (Strike techniques) as part of the lessons.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If you've got a few spare £, I suggest you buy the excellent Kodokan Judo by Jigaro Kano (the founder of Judo). In the book it shows how all the 'dangerous' Ju Jitsu techniques were taken out and put into kata. Unfortunately, you'll be hard pushed to find a club that teaches them.

8. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Do you have kata in Judo???

9. Freeform

Yep! But not what most people think of as kata, you need a partner to do them.

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Several, in fact!

11. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

I have a question. Though it may sound silyl and you may not be able to answer it here. I found that Judoinfo site several months ago actually, and I was facinated byy the technique "Flying Scissors" (Kani Basami I believe). I was wondering how exactly do you do it? It looks very cool and stylish to me.

12. Jim

Jim New Member

Lots of different ways... If you're trying to get a hipo throw and can't reach in enough you can swing inand under 'scissoring' one leg in front of the opponent's stomach and the other leg behind his knees.

You can see pictures at www.judoinfo.com and also at www.agjs.com at the gallery (shameless plug...) ;)

13. Adam

Adam New Member

I have another question. Won't Judo wrestlers and other gi-based grapplers be severely restricted in the techniques available to them if the opponent doesn't wear loose, easy-to-grab sturdy clothing?

14. Freeform

In a word (or 20) yes...ish. Unless like myself (and Jim to I presume) practice jacketless as well.

Not all the throws require holding onto the gi to work.

I suppose if your SD based, sport based or both.

Col

15. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Grabbing a hand full of bicep & a hand full of hair sets up some very nice throws.

No rules in Jujitsu.

16. Freeform

Yep, but unfortunately when you do that to people in class they tend not to come back! The voice of experience.

Had a guy in my Tai Jitsu class who went through a phase of resisting throws during drill practice, so I started doing them properly taking chunks of arm and head instead of Gi. He soon stopped being an ****.

Col

17. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Yep, but I have yet to run into someone who refused to wear a gi in class. My last post was ment to reflect a natural adaptation outside of class. In class you can hook armpits, chins, etc. without hurting your Uke, and that directly transfers to attackers not wearing loose clothing.

18. Jim

Jim New Member

I've had this type of thing happen to me about 8 times (that I can quickly remember) and almost every time the 'tough guy' decided training wasn't for him. Odd isn't it where they decide that there's no way you can do a technique on them in standing/teaching waza then when you come over and give them a big slice of humble pie they suddenly don't feel interested any more. Just can't win sometimes.