qi punch

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

i know it's not really a punch infused with qi but to actually punch that creates a strong blast of wind to put out fire is quite an interesting thing. Any training to do this? the right kind of training. and can you also create a qi kick :3? (seriously as in creating a blast of wind with the velocity of the kick) and just trying to understand the concept of qi punch it's basically creating a blast of wind through the velocity of your punch right?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean like this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znWWy5AWFoc"]Qi Candle Punch... Please read description - YouTube[/ame]

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Does this have any practical application or reason to do it?

4. Ero-Sennin

A way to seduce easily impressionable people into your new style of martial arts that grants secret powers?

@OP - Not something worth wasting your time on unless you want to get good at extinguishing small flames by moving air particles around with your hand or foot. You could always just go "poooooof" with your mouth at a closer distance to achieve the same results nearly 100% of the time.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I ran across someone who did this (by altering a candle-trick). Simply, bring your own candle to someone who "claims" to do this and observe the failure

For the most part, qi cannot fully be demonstrated

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I have a trick I sometimes do at holidays involving a lit candle and going 'pooof' always seems to be well received.

7. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

yes but we do create a blow of air when we punch that i can confirm. I felt this wind sensation when my grand master performed a punch in front of my face.

8. Ero-Sennin

Punch yourself really fast in the face, but stop and pull back right before your fist makes contact. You'll feel the "blow of air."

9. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

yeah i know tried it but i was thinking whether this exercise be used to train?

10. aaradia

I ask the same question, but slightly rephrased.....

Did your Grandmaster explain what the purpose of this is? Or what practical application it has? In short, WHY one should practice doing this?

Was your GM trying to create this effect or was it just a byproduct of something else he was demonstrating?

11. Ero-Sennin

The only thing remotely similar to doing this as training was when I was in Karate and they wanted you to throw your punch in such a way it made your uniform (gi) snap at the end of the punch. It's the same mechanics as making a candle flame go out.

Having also trained in Boxing I can tell you this is a pretty useless method of training for anything other than putting out candles. I would recommend hitting a punching bag, or shadow boxing as a far superior training method than punching out candles.

12. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

the effect was a byproduct of his punch, he did it without knowing you can say.

13. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm about the concept of shadowboxing you basically just imagine your fighting someone right? how long should a shadowbox session last or do we just decide on our own pace most of the time.

14. aaradia

If he was a GM, I seriously doubt he didn't even know. More likely, he paid it no mind.

Don't you think a Grandmaster would tell you if it was something vital to your training that you should pay attention to?

If he paid it no mind, shouldn't that be an indicator to you that it shouldn't be a focus in your training? It has been my experience that instructors let you know if any little thing in your training is something to pay attention to or focus on.

15. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

okey understood. but was just amazed by this effect considering his age but then again he is a grand master so i guess it was understandable. alright thanks anyways guys.

16. Ero-Sennin

Imagining fighting somebody else is the bulk of it, but you don't always have to imagine something; you can always just work a certain skill during shadow boxing. With doing the practice with Boxing you generally do a 3 min round with 1 min or :30 rest for as many rounds as you like. I usually stuck with about 8 rounds of shadow boxing.

It's always good to break things into intervals, but if you find you like shadow boxing for 30 minutes straight then hey, go at it.

17. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

:30 means 30 seconds right just to double check.

18. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh and umm any substitute for punching bag as in for the time being or do i just stick with just shadow boxing

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

If you watch Ero's video, the trick there is that he only clenches his fist as the arm withdraws. During the outward movement his hand is flat to give a larger surface area and create a larger gust of wind, like a paper fan.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's dead easy. Light candle. Do a punch that stops an inch or so from candle. Candle goes out. I've done it, you can do it, my kids could probably do it.

It's of no use whatsoever of course.

Mitch