PW's Yoga log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Prizewriter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

So I've been doing yoga for about 8 years. Usually at my very best I was doing classes twice a week, but the norm was one (plus practice at home)

Luckily where I now live has 4 or 5 very good full time yoga studios. I've never had access to those before. In the new year, I'm going to try and go to 4classes a week. I think one class a week can really benefit a person, but the consensus is that in order to really fully get in to postures, you should try and do 4 sessions a week

The yoga studios really only offer Vinyasa yoga/hot yoga (not Bikram). This is fine and I don't want to start off with a negative mind set. That said Ashtanga or Iyengar 4 times a week would be interesting.

Physically, like most guys I'm stiff in my hamstrings and hips (much better than I use to be though) and my core could do with tightening up.

Mentally, like most people I have a lot going on. This year (2016) I am taking voluntary redundancy and looking for work (or possibly throwing myself full time in to academia), so it can potentially be a stressful year. I'm normally not a stress head but for sure yoga is the most relaxing thing I have ever done. I've fallen asleep in class before. In fact, I would go to sleep in bed right after my old Ashtanga class and lie facing the ceiling. In the morning, I would be in the exact same position, the bed sheets undisturbed. I literally hadn't moved all night. So I am looking to develop my Pranayama too as this is the big thing for relaxing (for me).

I've read that public logs can help with motivation. I'm not lacking motivation right now but it's good to guard against complacency :)

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I read the title as PW's 'Yoda' log. Whoops!

Good luck with your motivation for the coming year! :)

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Go for it, man! Good luck. :)

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

So back in to it last night. First proper class of of the new year. The room was heated to 31°C so it was warm, but not Bikram warm (which is brutal, btw).

There must've been 40 people in the class last night. Like most places concerned with health and wellbeing, January tends to be a busy time as people overdo it at Christmas and New Years resolutions etc...

We spent about 45 in the class in variations of Adho Mukha Svanasana (down dog). Got a surprising "pump" in my shoulders. Hamstrings were looser than expected but hips were stiff. I shouldn't think this way. It's where my body is.

Mentally, the class was packed like sardines and people were chatting a little during class. I was able to focus on my breath and after a short time I just forgot about all of that.

Hoping to make it to class again before the weekend, then fit another few sessions in at the weekend.

5. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Done a lot of Pranayama (breathing) last night. It was interesting although my throat felt a little scratchy afterwards (I'm not sure I see the benefit yet of closing off nostrils to breath).

We did a lot of Trikonasana, which is my favorite series of asana as it can work a lot of your body.

I had attended a Judo session on Saturday and had some muscle soreness in my quads and shoulders and I had tweaked my ankle so I had a little niggle there. Last night was my first yoga session after Judo, and I felt good as new afterwards. Proof for me, if proof were needed, that I need to do yoga if I want to keep doing martial arts. Yoga for me undoes a lot of the wear and tear I get from grappling. I know a lot of people talk about it in terms of helping them do martial arts more effectively (I haven't notice a massive difference so far) but for me a major benefit is in recovery from fatigue and injury.

6. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Last night was 2nd class in a row. It was a heated class at 34°C. It started out tough, sitting in front of a computer then going to yoga is not a natural transition. That said I managed to loosen considerably after 15 minutes and by the end I definetely noticed I was deeper in lot more postures than previously.

The class started with some pranayama, then some gentle cat pose before starting on to variations of Sun Salutation B. This took about 40 minutes and was the bulk of the class. After that, we went in to standing postures of varying complexity from Tree Pose to Eagle Pose through Warriors Pose 1, 2 & 3. Warrior 3 was especially good, it's probably the most straight forward I've found it. For anyone who wonders how yoga builds strength, trying standing properly in Warrior 3 for a few minutes and you'll start to get it lol!*

We finished with some seated bends and corpse pose.

Afterwards I felt weird. I was relaxed but because of the heat my heart rate was up and I felt wide awake.

*If you are so inclined please do so under the guidance of an instructor!

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Back at it again after having a holiday for 2 weeks. While abroad all I was really able to do was cobblers pose. I did a lot of walking/hiking so my hamstrings are tight. First class again tonight, it should have a lot of down dog so hoping to work out the kinks again. Being away reminds me that I can't really get away with not doing yoga for long periods of time from a physical point of view.

Regarding how it has helped with martial arts... it hasn't helped much with my performance in terms of my ability to do things. I have some extra mobility in BJJ when shrmiping which helps I guess, but I'm not heading towards rubber guard yet lol!

The main benefit by far yoga has had is helping me focus, keeping calm in BJJ, and it is amazing for reducing the number of injuries I have had in BJJ since I committed to my Yoga program. The odd time I do get a niggle after class, one or two sessions of yoga and I feel good as new.