Pushups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Verx, Mar 15, 2007.

1. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Thats exactly what I mean, timed push ups.

That might be why my sholder has been giving twinges lately. I'll try resetting my hand positions.

2. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Wide armed pushups will be faster because you have a smaller range of motion- as your arms get wider, you're already closer to the ground, so there's less distance to travel. Health/fitness wise you'll be better off prolly just getting faster at pushups with a wider range of motion, but if you just need to be able to look like you're doing a lot quickly, wider is better.

For the OP, the members who have advised having your upper body elevated are correct. Having your chest above your feet will work the lower pecs more. It can be almost like doing dips with your body tipped forward at an angle. If it's too easy, vary them (width, angle, etc.) or add weight. Just wearing a backpack filled with books, for example.

Bodyweightculture.com has a great set of exercises to check out. I'd recommend them.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Add clapping press ups and you'll be happy :)

If you don't know, co a press up from whatever position, but do it explosively so you come off the floor, clap your hands, land, and do the downward motion of the pressup.

Lots of fun!

Mitch

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

And we all know Wry is gonna be knocking back pushups like the rest of us knock back hours at MAP! :D

Drop and give me 50 soldier!!!! :D

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

sorry bro but i am right on your backwords.... take a look

www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/WEIGHT_FREE_WORKOUT/weight_free_workout.shtml

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

so the army recruiter was at school today. i had to keep myself from laughing at the student who was showing off pushups for them - i do more faster and better, and on my knuckles :D
    but i didn't want to make him feel bad in front of the girls, so i just kept walking :cool:

7. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Meh, tomorrow. When I haven't been knocking back the beers- Light beer no less. The sacrifices I make for my country! :p

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

To place more emphasis on the lower pecs, try DIPS. Leaning a bit forward, front of the shoulder touches your hand, can really work wonders. I know you asked about "pushups" but you just can't beat Dips, especially weighted, for a good lower chest workout.

9. gornex

gornex Valued Member

i think slip is right. In a decline bench you are pressing towards the lower part of your body. If you put your feet on a box you will be pressing more upwards. So you need to elevate the upper body so when you do the push you push towards your lower body.

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

well the link says other wise and how long have you been lifting?
    me- 20 plus yrs and i have done them in between sets as punishment for not getting set reps, and they have worked for me that way

11. gornex

gornex Valued Member

link doesn't say other wise. It says decline push ups nothing about how the corresponds to a bench exercise. I guess you have been doin these wrong for 20 years then.

12. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

well my friend think what you want, they have worked the right area for me

maybe after you have been around for longer than i have lifted, then i'll take your advice

13. slipthejab

err... wrong again.
    Sigh.

Come on bro... stop and think about this.
    What you posted confirms exactly what I've said.

It shows a 'decline push up'.
    A decline push up.
    Not a decline bench press but a decline push up.

They are polar opposties because of the switch from the supine position the body is in during a delince bench press - to the prone position the body is in during the decline (or incline for that matter) press up.

Which works what?
    The upper pecs and the front of the deltoids primarily.
    It's not known for hitting the lower chest and is NOT the push up counterpart to the decline bench!!!

Sweet jesus. Just stop and think about what you're posting for a sec.

14. slipthejab

come on. Grow up bro.
    What you posted is wrong. Just live and learn and move on.
    You don't have to get snippy.

You're trying to cop attitude and come off as the wise old greybeard.

How long have you been around? :confused:
    How long have you been lifting? :confused:

I'd say more's the shame becuase you certainly don't know what your talking about in regards to this particular exercise. :eek:

If you think you're seeing gains specificially in your lower pecs from doing incline push ups then I'd say you need a reality check.

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

ok slip,

i know what part of the chest i feel working while doing it . you can't tell me where i feel the most stress while doing an exercise no matter how much research or how much knowledge you may have.

so vert, disregard my info, and do as you see fit, what works for one person may noy work for another.

16. slipthejab

Yeah sure... people feel and experience things differently.
    But if someone asks for an exercise that works a specific part of the muscle and you post something that doesn't really make much sense... you can expect people are going to call you on it.

What you're saying is to do incline press ups to work his lower pecs.
    It makes no sense. It's like suggesting that someone do decline bench work to focus on their upper pecs and front deltoids.

It simply doesn't follow.

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

from my perspective it does work that area, but everyones different thats why i said do as he sees fit, because what works for me may not work for him.all i did was suggest it from my personal experience. i'm not saying your wrong and i'm correct, but you can't tell me where i feel it working,

18. slipthejab

Whatever... do some reading and you'll understand why what you're suggesting is silly. It doesn't really serve any further purpose to drag it out in this thread. Suffice it to say that incline pushups are NOT the one of the key exercises for working your lower pecs.
    :rolleyes:

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hindu press-ups will get the lower pecs at the very end of the motion.
    They pretty much target the whole pec as the body angle changes throughout.
    One of my favourite press-up variations is a recent addition.
    They're called "knee-skinners".
    Set up two steps just over shoulder width apart. About six blocks should do it for height.
    Place your hands on one block each and do an incline press up (which targets the lower pecs). As you are on blocks you can go really low with this and get a wide range of motion, this partially offsets the greater ease with which you can do the movement.
    When you've done that take you weight on your hands and swing your legs through (hence the name of the exercise :) ).
    Rest your feet on the floor in front and do a tricep dip (again lower pec but also lats and delts too).
    Swing your legs back and do a press-up again and then repeat the sequence, press-up/swing/dip, until knackered.
    You can do something similar with just one step by jumping over the step each time (press-up/jump over/dip/jump back/press-up etc).
    That can become more of an all over body cardio/agility exercise.

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have found weighted dips are the best for the chest. And weighted close grip pushups, are best for the triceps, even the smaller triceps under the arm.