Pushups Hurt

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Verx, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I was trying out different pushups and I can across this one. I'm nort sure if it already has a name so I'll describe it. Basically, you find a raised surface to place you hands on and then an equally raised surface to place your feet on. I do this with the wall, so my feet are pushing against it. So now my body is about two foot in the air and I start doing pushups. However this really hurts my chest, particulary the area around the bone that covers the trachea (forgot it's name :p ). I've stopped doing it now due to the fact it might cause long term dmage to the ligaments or bone. I was wondering if these pushusps are safe and is the pain I'm feeling from working my pecs or stretching my bone?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Your sternum is actually made of cartilage.

Those push-ups are fine if you don't have any pre-existing shoulder issues. You feel it more in your chest because you are getting more range of motion.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Stop immediately. That pain is actually an alien trying to push itself out of your chest! :eek:

4. Verx

Wait. So now I have aliens in my chest as well as my neck. :eek:

5. Verx

Ah so the pain is a good thing.

6. acarpe

acarpe Valued Ember

Sternum is not cartilage - it is bone. It is, however, connected to the ribs via the costal cartilage.

7. Verx

That's the thing, I don't want to damage that cartilage.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

That's true actually, been a while since I was at uni!

It's the pulling of the pectorals on the bone that is causing the slight sense of stretch or pain. It shouldn't cause any problems.

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

It is just like a shin splint but in your chest. And I do know a guy with no sternum bone it's a rare and life threatening condition.

10. Verx

That's nice to know. I think I just found my second favourite pushup variant, next to hindu pushups of course. ;)