Pushups - Hindu vs Divebomb vs Judo?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I did 30 Dive bomber pushups in my gym session (hoping to work this up to 100), though I thought these were Hindu pushups until I did some browsing to check my form and discovered many variations in technique which just confused me more :mad:

Basically these were:

Hindu starts with usual push up position but feet wider than hip width, hips up, shoulders back, back flat, body in Vee shape. Bend arms and imagine dipping under bar to arch back then push to a flat back. Repeat

Divebomb same starting position but after the arch back reverse the whole movement to dip under the imaginary bar going to a flat back. Repeat

Judo same as Divebomb, though I've seen it with narrower feet position.

Which style of pushup would you say is best as a core exercise and how wide would you have the feet apart?

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I use the Divebomb variation more than the Hindu as i find it works my core and shoulders harder. I would presume that the fact that you have to reverse the movement back to the starting position it would be a more complete exercise rather than the Hindu which misses a lot of the return journey out.

As for foot width, i used to be quite wide, about 1 1/2 shoulder widths but i moved narrower to between shoulder and hip width as it seems to work the core more.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

on the other hand you can also just do hindus in reverse

4. Fish Of Doom

generally i don't pay much attention to foot position during regular pushups but for dive bombers/hindus (which i haven't done in ages. should, though) i think i used about the same width as with my hands.

5. fazzenterprise

fazzenterprise Valued Member

I actually like to do a divebomber / hindu alternating combo.... Check it out and give it a try for a good tricep burn.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF-OsQTKhz8"]YouTube - Divebomber & Hindu Pushup Combos[/ame]

6. fazzenterprise

Also try doing the hindu and divebombers with hands close like a diamond pushup. Bringing the hands close together and have elbows flared out, this will make the exercise harder and put more focus onto the side tricep head, which is a good thing.

7. Princess Haru

That might get me to a fail point a lot quicker though. I can do at most 30 push ups consecutively and probably half that if they are divebomber or hindus. I'm still some way off pullups and benching 2/3rd bodyweight. Partly why I was thinking I should do more pushup reps, horizontal/incline rows

8. Fish Of Doom

you don't need more reps, you need more intensity. if you're over 30 reps that particular variation is useless strength-wise.

9. Princess Haru

You're right. I should have clarified. I can do 30 standard pushups in a minute (back when I was doing more circuit training, I never mangaged more than 14 burpees but could never get with the going straight to the bottom of a pushup when dropping from the jump). I can do 10 divebomber pushups, probably would manage 15 at a push but I was doing them pretty slow on Saturday to keep to what I thought was form not sure if this was divebomber or hindu. No matter I think the former is probably the more challenging. I'll try fitting some in to my gym routine tomorrow.

10. fazzenterprise

I would recommend working up your reps on diamond pushups, they will be one of the best pushup variations for tricep muscles... Also dips are good to get your reps up on too.

11. microhard

microhard Valued Member

Judo is Hindu with narrow feet position?