Pushing Children Too Hard

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pompeythegreat, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I was a judo a few nights ago, and some new people walked in, they were two boys around 13 & 14. When I began to talk to them it came out that they wrestle in four different clubs around the city, and do judo at both of the clubs in the city as well as Olympic lifting. This apparently totals to about three training sessions a day for the both of them.

I think that these boys are being pushed very hard in their training, especially for young teenagers, don't get me wrong I would kill for an opportunity like what they have, but I know what they could be potentially missing out on in life. They spend their life training and have little to nothing else that they do. In my mind this is similar to what a lot of the hockey or even the fashion show parents do - living their dream through the children, and I think that it's wrong. Thoughts anyone?

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I tend to agree, but only if they have been forced into this, if its totally by their own wishes, then let them be busy!

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

hm... i have similar plans for my own kids (if i find someone dumb enough to agree to reproduce with me) but 3 training sessions daily seems like madness

4. Pompeythegreat

Oh I plan on doing the same thing as well :p But Not three sessions a day.

I honestly feel bad for the children. :dunno:

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm going to ban my kids from doing martial arts. I'll still be going, twice a day if I can. I'll tell them "Maybe when you're older. You don't want none of this jiu jitsu. It's dumb, you'll hate it." I'll talk to all my friends about jiu jitsu. I'll leave jiu jitsu books laying around, videos of great grapplers like Marcelo Garcia on the television. I bet I catch them sneaking out of the house one day to go practice.

This way I'll lay a nice groundwork (badum psh) for getting them totally obsessed with it their entire life.

6. Pompeythegreat

You sir have it right!

7. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Just shush the pretty ones while telling them how perfect they are and that should never happen.

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Not a bad idea, I might do the same with karate. Cleva Cleva.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

have you been stalking me recently... :eek:

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I'm like a MAP electronic peeping John.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

*mod note - changed your thread title from '... to hard' so it reads '... too hard'
    /pedant

12. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

philosoraptor, that's a good idea in theory, but you'll be bumbed if they actually listen to you and take up flower arranging or interpretive dance instead! :jester:

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Honestly if I manage to get the little monsters to 18 with a pulse, no drug addictions, no pregnancies and no criminal record I'll consider myself successful.

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

On a slightly more serious not I think I can be accused of pushing a kid too hard. It's a fine line when they want to fight but you know what the need to be doing to get in there.
    The result? His body is messed up at 20 years if age, just can't push it for long anymore

15. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I think doctors would agree with OP here. Kid's bodies are still growing; for them to train like professional athletes at that age could permanently damage them.