Push Ups

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Mar 9, 2002.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

All an instructor needs to be able to do is teach to a couple of levels above their students, and then keep ahead.

No need to know how to teach third dan when you're opening a new school and teaching white belts.

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Re: Flashy/practical self defence

I agree, but then it should be presented as such, not as a "real" promotion. My claim is basically that CKD claims to be doing one thing, when all there pictures tend to indicate they are doing something different. Based on the information presented by them about themselves I would say they are not in fact teaching self-defence material. But rather a off shoot of sport TKD with simplified forms while using the "realistic self-defence" line combined with flashy kicks to appeal to those who no little about martial arts except what they see on TV. From there the student is fed misleading and inaccurate information about the dangers of other styles and how training in them is not just less effective, but actually hazardass to ones health.

If this is not true, fine. But thats how they present themselves.

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Guys,
    err I seem to recall there's a Choi Kwang Do thread kicking round here somewhere.
    Certainly the discussion on pushups is getting a litle buried is it not?

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The advertising is just that, advertising, trying to gain new members. We're a very small martial art that few know of. We're trying to get a lot bigger, so we advertise in ways that appeal to people. Flashy techniques look good, and will draw people into the class. Most demonstrations though, and even most photos, are simply of people doing the standard techniques.

Sport TKD would hardly be a good basis, since we don't compete so learning sports-only stuff would be kind of pointless.

Saying that Grandmaster Choi was simply bad at TKD would seem to go against the fact that he was in the Korean National Demonstration Team until he crippled himself with the techniques.

Some schools still do teach locking out, of the schools that I've visited there was one TKD school and two karate schools which taught locking out as an essential. There are more than a few instructors out there, in all martial arts, who aren't worth their salt.

The curriculum has changed a lot since Choi was founded, and there were huge differences from TKD in the first place. Try and bother finding out what it is you're talking about before simply claiming we do a variant of sport TKD. It seems I'm not the only one apparently lacking knowledge.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Apologies Andy, we have got a little side-tracked. Anyone care to move over to the Choi thread to continue this?

6. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Just one last thing, i thought the fact that mr green had clicked on to sites about CKD he'd have read the history.
    Kwang Jo Choi was trained by general Hi Hong Choi himself and became a master at TKD, i doubt very much he was performing techniques incorrectly. the general had a nick name for Kwang Jo Choi - "Model of tae kwon do". Kwang Jo Choi knew and Knows his stuff. That doesnt mean he's got all the answers. Thats all.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi Paul, nice to see another Kyokushin practioner here :)

On top of this, isn't it meant to help with hand conditioning for knockdown/tameshiwari too?

One thing I'm not sure on is the benefits of the finger press ups. Obviously we wouldn't be doing them if there was no reason for it, but what techniques are they used to strengthen? The only move that I can think of on my syllabus so far is nikite strikes(spearhand).

Osu.

8. khafra

khafra New Member

I feel left out; I think I'm the only member that hasn't contributed to this thread yet, so: One more pushup style, from the military. Start up, go down to an inch off the ground. Hold it. Lean to the left as far as you can without moving your hands, and hold. Ditto for the right. Then back to the center, and up*

*Not responsible for injuries incurred as a result of these exercises, including but not limited to arthritis, hyperextension, rotator cuff tears, scarred tendons, sprains, stroke, cardiac arrest, acute death, or feeling kinda tuckered out the next day

9. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

finger strength.........

Hi Eeryone!
    I find that fingertip pushups are excellent for increasing strength in wrists & forearms, as well as obviously the hands/fingers themselves.
    Within the chinese arts this type of strength is essential for correct application of Chi Na / Kum Na techniques, and i'm sure within KKSK kata there are also many techniques that involve actually gripping & holding the opponent.

Take for example a basiu Fu jow (tiger claw). The deflecting hand requires strength to grip and hold the opponents arm, while the attacking hand has to be sufficiently strong to either grasp the opponents windpipe or to rake down the face.

Also within many ChiNa techniques the objective is not to just grip the opponents arm, but to lift muscle tissue from bone, or to damage connective tissue, not to even start to mention the pressing of vital points along meridians.
    All of these applications of gripping require a great deal of strength in the fingers and provided the fingertip pushups are performed correctly then no long term damage will result.
    As stated elsewhere the key is to nsure that the excerise is performed on the finger tips NOT the finger prints, as this can damage the end finger joint.

cheers
    Colin....................................

10. KarateMom

KarateMom New Member

Kyokushin_girl,

I was bad at them to! We had to do 50 also. So I asked my instructor when the belt testing would be. Four weeks from the night. So I went home and the next morning I started out by warming up my arms then I did 20. (I did this twice per day for a week)
    Then I easily added ten more in each week until I got to 50.

Remember warm up drink some water and cool down.

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm u should go for long term goals...
    like if u can do 20 then do it 20 the whole week without missing single day...
    then increase by 2 or more not more than 5...
    keep on increasing every week...
    if u think next week u can do more than last week press ups...then continue same same no of press ups(last weeks) for whole week ...
    u'll see results in couple of months...
    i took up to 100 press ups..
    with lil breaks after 50 i could go up to 130...
    and remember as most ppl said "Go for quality not for quantity"
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Ahh yes the quality Tkdwarrior you sure could teach me a few something someday when we meet :D anyways you are absolutely right it's the quality of the push-ups that count.

I admit I can do 85 push-ups but I can do only 40 push-ups perfectly with my chest touching the ground. The rest is all messy and sweaty....
    |Cain|

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"Ahh yes the quality Tkdwarrior you sure could teach me a few something someday when we meet :D"

u r always welcome cain...
    -TkdWarrior-

14. khafra

khafra New Member

If you want to improve your pushups or die trying, here's an insane 2-week workout regimen I got from a bodybuilding friend. Make sure you take at least a full week off from any upper-body exercise afterwards.

: On mondays do a max set in the morning and base all of your subsequent sets off this max set
    : monday-sunday:
    : Monday 40% (one set) of you max every 60mins
    : tuesday 50% every 30mins
    : wednesday 70% every 45 mins
    : thurs 40% every 60mins
    : friday 80% every 60mins
    : saturday 55% every 90 mins
    : Sun 20% every 90 mins
    : Week 2
    : Monday (max set) and 90% every 120mins
    : tues 45% every 60 mins
    : wed 20% every 10 mins
    : thurs 65% every 90mins
    : friday 75% every 60 mins
    : saturday 30% every 90 mins
    : sunday 15% every 120 mins
    : Week 3
    : Week 3...monday do a Test Set(max)

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

The quickest way I've found to break 100 was a combination of Freeform's techinque, Plain 'ole hard graft in the morning and the second most important one.

1) Set timer to go
    2) Perform as many push ups as you can to failure.
    3) Stop timer
    4) Give yourself a break for the amount of time it took to perform to failure.
    5) Reset timer and go to 1).

If you are exerting max effort every time the max number should be coming down. Repeat until your getting down to about 10% of your original number (or alternatively your arms fall off).

Since this method is actually breaking down your recovery time you should actualy notice the difference in the amount you can do in one session increasing rapidly.

Always works up a sweat...same method can be used for abs exercises too.

Happy sweating! :D

P.s. Incidently a recent study found people who exercised for 20 mins in the morning before an afternoon workout increased (performance wise) 10 times quicker against those that did none

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I used to be able to do 100 in one sitting, but I wasn't 14+ stone then! About 70 odds the most I can do in one sitting (make sure they're proper though! :D )

Tosh your making me look bad, only one answer for it...

MUST TRAIN HARDER!!! ;)

Colin

17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

You don't look 14+stone Colin

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

He carries a lot of loose change

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm, how would you say, rather dense? :D

20. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

:D Do you sink in the pool??? Me mate Gary has this problem he literally just sinks in the water. mInd you he is absolutely "ripped" and he weighs about 63kgs